Questions About Costa Fortuna

venicecruiser

I am considering taking my Mom on Fortuna to Bermuda. I've cruised on many lines, but never Costa.

Does anyone know the approximate size of the standard outside cabins? Is smoking permitted in cabins? Is there live music onboard? Best place for cocktails before dinner? What should not be missed onboard besides the toga night? What time does boarding usually begin in Ft. Lauderdale? How is the specialty dining?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Claudia

• 4 weeks later...

Just got off the Nov. 2nd transatlantic Fortuna cruise. Most of your questions on size can be answered on their web site or ask your agent. The ship is the same as the Carnival Glory and others in the same class. There was a lot of live music, lots of bars for drinks before dinner but which one is best is a matter of taste and trial error. Try them all to find the one you like best. Did not go to the speacialty dinning but a travel newspaper writer that I met said it was worth it and that she enjoyed it. Boarding times will be the same as most ships that go out of fort Lauderdale at 5:00 pm. We were in a non smoking cabin and I do not know if there are ones for smokers. As to what not to miss is again up to personal taste. The daily newsletter lists the activities. There was a ton of dancing, both at night in the bars and near the pool during the day. Any other questions?

Claudia:

There are many posts and threads which answer most of your questions, so you may want to do a search for each of your key words/questions.

Here's a brief version to your questions:

A standard outside oceanview cabin is approx. 190 sqft. total, whereas a veranda cabin of category 8 & 9 will have approx. 175 sqft. of room PLUS balcony, and a veranda cabin in category 10 will have approx. 220 sqft. of cabin space PLUS larger balcony. Mini-Suites on the Fortuna have a more triangle shape and their best feature (in my opinion) is the HUGE balcony space, as they are located at the aft corners of the ship. The Suites are approx. 340 sqft. PLUS oversized balcony and Grand Suites have a whopping 456 sqft. PLUS double size balcony.

Yes, there is plenty of live music on board at various places, bars and lounges. Check out your onboard newsletter, the TODAY for any listings you may like, or simply browse around the ship until you find a performance you like.

There are many nice places on the ship where you can have a pre-dinner drink/cocktail. If you like the outside, there are several outdoor bars (the pool bar is not the only one). There is one bar, forward deck, outside by the front elevators on Deck 10 (close to the Salon/Spa) which is usually nice and calm. If you prefer an indoor one, there are many, many to choose from... just try them all! :rolleyes:

If they have it on the program, don't miss the CREW TALENT SHOW, where members of the ship show off their talents. It was during one of the sea days in the afternoon, but let me tell you... there were some amazing talents within the crew! During one of the evening shows they usually have a laser show presentation choreographed to music... AWESOME!

We always made a point to be at the port early (around 10:30). When we arrived last time we got rid of our luggage right away and by the time we parked the car we went straight through security and checked in...

I love the specialty restaurant. Last time we went during the first formal night and we were the only people in there... it was awesome! The food is outstanding! (not that it is anyways!) Yummy!

Hope that helps a bit!

Archived