Back from the 6 day Carnival Liberty 10/21/07

mj

Got late in on Saturday night for the Carnival Liberty 6 day cruise. Had a good time. This was my 15th cruise (9th with Carnival). I just thought I would give the Good, So-So, and the Bad:

Good

Love the spacious balcony in the 8C 8457. (Some may not like this balcony as it was uncovered and people from the lido deck may see you)

Dining Rood Food

Dining Room Service - Putu and Luhur were one of the top dining room team that I ever had on a cruise. Very friendly and talkative as well.

Key West

Grand Cayman

Room Steward was good

So-So

Lido Deck Service - Seemed like the service was just going thru the motions. Service just seemed a half a step behind. In the grill, for instance, they never seemed to have it together Not as friendly as other Lido deck crews that I have had on Carnival.

Tender Service in Grand Cayman - Seemed like you waited forever to get tendered, but there wasn't much of a line to wait. Seemed like they could have been more efficient.

Bad

No more pasta station during lunch hour. It was offered in the lido deck during dinner, but during lunch it was replaced with Make your own Soup.

This may be a minor issue for some, but I have always looked forward to the pasta station during the lunch hours.

Overall, very fun and relaxing cruise. Looking forward to the next.

If anybody has any questions, just fire away.

In the Capers, it stated that Tuesday and Thursday night were formal nights. There was not any discussion of the second night being optional. However, half of the passengers dressed up and the other half were business casual.

In the Capers, it stated that Tuesday and Thursday night were formal nights. There was not any discussion of the second night being optional. However, half of the passengers dressed up and the other half were business casual.

I was on this sailing and I even saw some people in tshirts on the second night! :eek: Most people looked nice and gave it some effort.

Go

Bad

No more pasta station during lunch hour. It was offered in the lido deck during dinner, but during lunch it was replaced with Make your own Soup.

This may be a minor issue for some, but I have always looked forward to the pasta station during the lunch hours.

quote]

that pasta statiion that use to be inside in emily on deck 9 has now been moved to one of the outside food area by the pool/bar area, one side was burgers dogs etc and other home made pasta with meatballs. we were on oct 13 sailing and it was great, my wife said the same thing, you can miss it if you are not looking for it.

Just some other info:

Past Guest Party

Past Guest Party was on Wednesday(Grand Cayman) at 5pm. Very inconvenient time and noted this on comment card. I missed it due to being tired from spending all day in Grand Cayman.

People Missing the Boat in Ocho Rios

At Ocho Rios, we were sailing out at 3:30pm. They had made the usual annoucements for people who were not onboard. The captain had blown his horn. We were sailing out and since I had the aft balcony noticed a waverunner yelling and trying to get the attention of the person in the pilot boat. A person climbed off the waverunner into the boat. Then the waverunner went pack and picked up 2 additional people. So the ship turned around and met the pilot boat to pick up the people who had missed the boat.

We set sail again for Fort Lauderdale. I noticed that we started circling around again. The cruise director came on and annouced that we had a medical emergency.

Disembarkation

For those doing the self-assist, they started disembarking at 7:20am. They started calling by decks starting with 1-2 and doing 2 decks at a time and went in order.

They did the numbering system with #1 - 34. They starting calling numbers at around 8:20am. They called 3 to 4 numbers at a time. We were in the last group called and they called us around 10am.

I liked the new debarkation procedure, it seemed to flow very smoothly. It seemed easier to spot your luggage. We were at FLL airport around 10:40am.

Disembarkation

For those doing the self-assist, they started disembarking at 7:20am. They started calling by decks starting with 1-2 and doing 2 decks at a time and went in order.

They did the numbering system with #1 - 34. They starting calling numbers at around 8:20am. They called 3 to 4 numbers at a time. We were in the last group called and they called us around 10am.

I liked the new debarkation procedure, it seemed to flow very smoothly. It seemed easier to spot your luggage. We were at FLL airport around 10:40am.

I agree. It was VERY smooth. We had number 4, but didn't head to the elevators on deck 9 until numbers 5, 6, and 7 were called. We were walking off the ship just before 930. Our bags were in a reasonable size pile of bags. We grabbed a porter and were outside waiting for our driver at 930 sharp. We had no wait for a customs agent. It was the easiest disembarkation I have ever had.

I have to agree about the Lido service. I'm pretty sure not one of them said a word to me. They would just look at you to order (Grill, Deli, Fish) and then hand you you're plate. The food was good, just below average service. I can't comment on the buffet because I only ate there once for breakfast. I noted this on my comment card. At the very least I would expect Hi and You're Welcome. Common courtesy.

I agree about debarkation too! Very smooth! We were number 33. We stayed on as long as week could! We did not want to leave!

I found the service on the Lido to be just the opposite. The servers and cleanup people were all very friendly. Even though they were all non-american people, most all spoke excellent english and were very easy to talk too. I felt like many went out of their way to make sure everyone was taken care of. We enjoyed talking to them and finding out about there lives and families. I thought it was one of the best parts of the cruise. The food was excellent and was always very fresh. Yes there was a backup at the grille at busy times only because all the food was being prepared fresh.

just wondering if the inside cabins have hairdries. it says on the carnival site that the liberty has them in the cabins, but then my sister found a site that said they were only in some of the cabins.

erin

We had a balcony cabin and had a hair dryer, but I can't imagine they wouldn't have them in inside cabins. If they don't have one, ask the room steward to bring you one. I don't think many people travel with their own hair dryer these days. I'm sure Carnival knows this and is prepared.

Hi! We just got back fromthe Liberty too. Had a good time even though we didn't do much- mostly hung out and relaxed.

MJ- what seating for dinner were you? We had Putu and Luhur also! They were great! I mentioned once that I really liked one of the appetizers ( the crab and lobster cake) and Putu shows up with another one for me! And I finally got my fill of chocolate melting cake (until next time!:)

We tried an inside room for the first time - wasn't all that bad. It was a bit smaller than the OV or balcony rooms we have had, but quite adequate. We were on Lido, so it was real easy access to pool and buffet. We do like to hang out where it is a bit quieter- would have liked to sit out on the deck off the Lobby, but all the deck chairs were stacked and tied down except for one day- that's when I watched them bring those women back aboard. I was surprised that we turned around for them- I thought that if you missed the boat, too bad so sad.

We enjoyed both Key West and Caymans. The only port I didn't like was Ocho Rios. We have been there before and have seen Dunn's River Falls, and were not impressed with the agressiveness of the people in the markets. This time we got off, walked a few blocks into town to the nearest souvenier shops, and went right back on the ship. In the space of an hour or so, we were offered a cab by 10 people, some of whom didn't want No for an answer, and followed around in the shops like they expected us to take something. If we ever go back we will just spend the day onboard.

The ship itself was gorgeous! Could have spent hours just watching the chandelier in the main lobby do its thing- changing colors and pulsating and twinkling. The slots were not good to me, but my husband did OK on the poker machine. No real problems with the other passengers- only spotted one instance of chair hogging, kid's were well behaved in general. There was one woman who was stoned and/or drunk every time I saw her-loud and obnoxious. Thank goodness I didn't see her often!

Karl "with a K" was one of the better CD's we've had. Told you what you needed to know without being in your face with it, and was genuinely funny at times. We did the walk on Friday for Breast Cancer- because of rain we ended up walking on Deck 4 by the lifeboats where it was drier. The Captain, the Hotel Director and Karl all walked with us. Had a good time for a good cause.

We did self assist with the luggage and it went really smoothly. We were off the boat by 8:30 and in the airport by 9:00. The only bad thing was the fact that just as we got down to Level 0 they stopped the line, made everyone stand on one side of the hallway, and proceded to wheel out a body to a waiting hearse. We literally followed the body down the gangplank. I guess the medical emergency was real. We had heard them page a couple of times during the cruise "Situation Redstar" followed by a location. I am a nurse and it sure sounded like a code blue call to me. I was sorry to see something like this and my prayers go out to this person's family. My husband was a bit upset, but I told him- What a way to go- doing something you absolutely love!

So overall, it was a great trip- can't wait for the next one (June 2008)

Mary Jo

The only bad thing was the fact that just as we got down to Level 0 they stopped the line, made everyone stand on one side of the hallway, and proceded to wheel out a body to a waiting hearse. We literally followed the body down the gangplank. I guess the medical emergency was real. We had heard them page a couple of times during the cruise "Situation Redstar" followed by a location. I am a nurse and it sure sounded like a code blue call to me. I was sorry to see something like this and my prayers go out to this person's family. My husband was a bit upset, but I told him- What a way to go- doing something you absolutely love!

This happened on deck 8, forward, starboard. We had a cabin on deck 8 in the same position, but on the port side. My dh is an MD and was thinking it sounded like a serious medical call too. I was out in the area near the elevators several times during this event. They called security to block off the forward section of the hall from the elevators. About 6 medical-ish looking people went in. When they came out a long while later, I happened to be there again. They looked exhausted (I'm guessing they were trying to revive the person) and sweaty. One woman was dripping sweat, had bright red cheeks, and looked disappointed. They had a body board when they exited...the kind you would put someone on if you were pulling them up to a helicopter. When they came out, there was no one on the body board. I'm so sad that the family has been dealing with this loss. What a sad thing!

Welcome back!

We are considering the Liberty within the next few months. How was the poolside band? Did they play for more than 2 hours a day, and did they play the classic caribbean songs? I am afraid that the movie screen will takeover the band. We love listening to the band on cruises.

How was the entertainment? Was there a variety (comedians, magicians, etc.)? Also, was there more than one night of late night entertainment (comedy)?

Thanks for your help!

just wondering if the inside cabins have hairdries. it says on the carnival site that the liberty has them in the cabins, but then my sister found a site that said they were only in some of the cabins.

erin

Hair dryers are in all rooms on Conquest and Spirit class ships. However, unless you have very fine, short hair, I'd bring my own. It would have taken me forever to dry my hair with the dryer in the room.

So you said that your balcony was uncovered and people from the lido deck can see you. Can they really? We're going to be in 8448 and I really don't want people to be able to look down at me. I thought someone said that the room was pretty private.

You do have some privacy if you put your chairs close to your room; however when you fully walk to the railing, people will be able to see you. Also, your neighbors will see you as well.

At first, I thought that it would bother me, but it really didn't.

So its basically like any other balcony? We were in a balcony our last cruise and I guess I do remember being able to see the people above us if I do go close to the rail. And don't get me started on nosy neighbors:p I was afraid to step out of the shower and get dressed..he was always there hanging over onto our side of the divider

So its basically like any other balcony? We were in a balcony our last cruise and I guess I do remember being able to see the people above us if I do go close to the rail. And don't get me started on nosy neighbors:p I was afraid to step out of the shower and get dressed..he was always there hanging over onto our side of the divider

The balcony is not as private as the standard balconies. It is hard to describe, but you have less privacy. Plus, it is not covered.

Archived