Traveling with HIV Questions

TxnAquarian

Hello.

I am planning a 2-week cruise this Spring from Dubai to Athens and I am wondering if anyone has information about entering countries while HIV positive. I have not traveled internationally since I was diagnosed. And I remember reading on the boards here that a fellow cruiser was not allowed to enter China for their cruise due to their HIV status. I will only be in Dubai for a couple days pre-cruise and I just wanted to be sure I won't have any issues flying in for the trip.

Any help is appreciated.

Is there something I don't know?? Since when did anyone's HIV status or any medical condition become required to share info. Unless of course your are sleeping with them.

cheers,

PA

Well, visitors to the USA that have HIV/AIDS needs waivers to get a visa - thanks to Jesse Helms they cannot get a visa the usual way.

There are apparent 14 other countries that also don't allow people with HIV/AIDS in.

Paddy Anne - I sincerely encourage you to learn more about this issue. Interrogation and/or refusal of right to entry happens to people with HIV on a fairly regular basis. I don't need to disclose anything - my Epzicom and Viramune pretty much do that for me in my carry ons.

TxnAquarian - I have not been to Dubai, but have been all over Western and Central Europe, as well as most of the rest of the world. For really long trips, I pack all my antivirals in their original packaging in my carry on. I have never (in dozens of trips) ever been asked about them. For two weeks or less, I use a fourteen day pill box and arrange everything in them so I have what I need ready each day. Again, it's gone through the carry on x-ray literally dozens of times, and never once have I been asked about it anywhere in the world. If you have specific concerns about specific countries, it would probably be easier to advise you if you could list out your itinerary countries. HIV is a known problem all over the world at this point, and only the most regressive countries (sadly, including the US) hassle inbound tourists about their meds or status from everything I have read.

With a cruise, your worries are much fewer. Your meds will be on the ship pretty much the entire time except when you are transiting to or from the ship. Unless you are making some side trips to other countries before or after, I think you will be fine.

Paddy Anne - I sincerely encourage you to learn more about this issue. Interrogation and/or refusal of right to entry happens to people with HIV on a fairly regular basis. I don't need to disclose anything - my Epzicom and Viramune pretty much do that for me in my carry ons.

Yah I guess that would pretty much do it. Sorry I don't always think of these things. I guess I do need to educate myself more on this. Please tell me that Canada is not one of these countries.

Paddy Anne

Yah I guess that would pretty much do it. Sorry I don't always think of these things. I guess I do need to educate myself more on this. Please tell me that Canada is not one of these countries.

Paddy Anne

The United States has barred Canadian citizens from entering the U.S. based on being HIV+, but I have never heard of it being the other way.

Thanks for all the advice, links and suggestions. It looks as if the United Arab Emirates have no restrictions on letting HIV+ tourists into the country, only for those applying for a Visa. So it seems as though I'll have no issues flying into Dubai with my medications.

Interestingly, though, I did look up China (since a fellow Cruise Critic member was not allowed into the country to board their cruise) and it does say that China does not allow any HIV+ travelers into the country for any amount of time. In fact, they are known to do random HIV tests at the airport upon entry for anyone they suspect is being dishonest about their status.

Thanks again!

Michael

In fact, they are known to do random HIV tests at the airport upon entry for anyone they suspect is being dishonest about their status.

Because of COURSE you can tell somebody's HIV status by looking at them! :mad:

I can also back up that China does not allow those with HIV to enter for any reason or amount of time. If you are truthful about your status, you are denied entry. If they suspect you are positive, they can test you and then deny you entry.

I'm HIV+ and have travelled entensively throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East for business.

Entering the UAE at Dubai is not a problem. It's just about the only place I would feel completely comfortable about visiting. There's the usual x-raying of carry-ons and checked bags, etc and that's about it. They are very happy to have you there spending your money. It is the most progressive city in the Middle East, although that's not saying much. I don't know if you're flying into or out of Dubai, but it has by far, without a doubt, the BEST airport in the world!!!

Although I've done it many times, I would not advise travelling to Saudi Arabia(and why would you want to anyway). While you don't answer questions asking whether you are positive as in China, they do search EVERYTHING.

It's the complete everything out of your bags and then everything back into the bags one by one. So they see my weekly pill box with medications sorted but never know enough to determine what the meds are. If you've never experienced this, don't wish you had!

Of course, there's also the deal that you just don't pick-up and go to Saudi Arabia. You have to have a letter of invitation to even request a VISA.

Homosexuality is extremely taboo and also very prevalent in Saudi Arabia, as in all of the Middle East. It's a very interesting conundrum. I guess if they ever were open about it, they would classify it as men having sex with men rather than homosexuality. Where does that remind you of??? Whatever you do ... don't do anything sexual while you are there, regardless of who or where it's with.

OK, on to lighter topics!

I also wouldn't advise going to Egypt - moreso because of their PUBLIC general attitude toward gays.

Forgot to mention this ... make sure your doctor knows where you are visiting so they can ensure you are covered as far as vacinnations go.

Generally, you're fine in most urban centers as long as you don't stray off the beaten path for tourists, but it's always better to be safe than sorry!

At a minimum, I have been advised to get and stay current on ... hep A & B, typhoid, polio, tetanus.

Straight person with HIV chiming in to say...it is crazy that you are tested in some countries randomly. I thought for the most part the traveling issues were only if you are applying for a visa. What if you are not on meds and you do not declare? If you are on meds do you keep them with you at all times? That is my fear to be on a cruise and go to take my nighttime meds and they are gone!

Entering the UAE at Dubai is not a problem. It's just about the only place I would feel completely comfortable about visiting. There's the usual x-raying of carry-ons and checked bags, etc and that's about it. They are very happy to have you there spending your money. It is the most progressive city in the Middle East, although that's not saying much. I don't know if you're flying into or out of Dubai, but it has by far, without a doubt, the BEST airport in the world!!!

A 15 year old French boy was abducted and raped by 3 men in Dubai. They threatened to charge him with criminal homosexual activity! Not all that progressive, it seems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/world/middleeast/01dubai.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Do not check that you are positive. I was on the cruise where the fellow was

not let into China because he was honest. Do not admit if you had a fever or diarrhea within the last two weeks. They take your temperature entering

Asian countries ie: Japan,Tiawan. I wouldn't take your meds in there original

bottles. Put them in a pill boxes and if asked , call them vitamins.

Deny everything or they will not let you into their country.

What is the issue for allowing us entry from a cruise for 12 hours? Are they afraid we will be running around infecting people? I know some countries and even people in the US still do not understand the HIV virus and the unknown is always scary. Has anyone ever done a med break for a week or so to travel?

Do not check that you are positive. I was on the cruise where the fellow was

not let into China because he was honest. .. I wouldn't take your meds in there original bottles. Put them in a pill boxes and if asked , call them vitamins. Deny everything or they will not let you into their country.

And for just that, why would you want to vist a country like that?

In today's world , many government's are restrictive allowing anyone in their country. That also includes the USA !

Custom agents in the Asian ports we went , took your temperature as you were leaving the ship. Avian Flue is what they fear.

These are the rules, understand that when making an itenery .

Knowing this, if you go, don't let them know your condition.

While many countries have regulations that prohibit people with HIV from entering the country, these are not regularly enforced, if only because it is just not feasable. Consider, after all, that well over 50% of those infected with HIV in the USA are not aware that they are seropositive.

As airline crew, I have flown to many of these countries without any difficulty. Although there may be isolated instances of people being denied entry, these are extremely small numbers considering the number of people that cross borders every day. Clearly, it's it your own best interest to be low-key about your condition.

I am sceptical about the assertion that any country would routinely administer HIV tests at the border. This would be enormously expensive, and how would the officer choose which individuals should be tested? I'm not aware of an HIV test that gives immediate results.

Incidentally, for all the hoopla about Canadians being denied entry into the US, it's interesting to note that Canada, too, has laws that similar laws regarding HIV+ people from coming to Canada. I don't know if there are publicized reports of this actually happening, but it is clearly stated in Canadian immigration information: 38(1)©.

On a different note, Canada also bars entry to individuals who have been convicted of certain crimes (including DUI). THIS law IS routinely inforced, even for airline crew members. We are required to prove that we have been "rebabilitated".

My advice: be informed, plan ahead, but DON'T PANIC.

• 2 weeks later...
You do realize that the US is one of the worst in this regards. You need special waiver to visit the US if you are HIV positive.

There have been a few cases where they have used the same law to keep Gays out of the country as well, since there is no way that you can prove that you are HIV negative because the test isn't reactive instantly. It's one reason it is never suggested to admit that you are Gay when going through US customs.

This post is from another thread but I wanted to continue the discussion here because it's more on topic here.

I agree with you regarding the US policies on this being terrible. There is information about the policies and the waiver here (PDF format link). Additionally, there is information about the effect of the ban here, it talks about how people sometimes travel to the US without their HIV medication, to avoid getting caught at the border when they say they're HIV negative.

However, I'm not familiar with your claim that they are using the HIV ban to keep gays out. I've never heard ANYBODY say anything about "don't say you're gay" when entering the US. For one thing, I don't think they ask about your sexual orientation when you come through Customs. Perhaps it's because I'm female but I know I have never been asked if I am gay and I have never been asked if I have HIV.

I have tried to do some quick research on your claim and I can't find anything about it. If you could provide more information I would really appreciate it, because it sounds rather surprising to me.

While many countries have regulations that prohibit people with HIV from entering the country, these are not regularly enforced, if only because it is just not feasable. Consider, after all, that well over 50% of those infected with HIV in the USA are not aware that they are seropositive.

As airline crew, I have flown to many of these countries without any difficulty. Although there may be isolated instances of people being denied entry, these are extremely small numbers considering the number of people that cross borders every day. Clearly, it's it your own best interest to be low-key about your condition.

I am sceptical about the assertion that any country would routinely administer HIV tests at the border. This would be enormously expensive, and how would the officer choose which individuals should be tested? I'm not aware of an HIV test that gives immediate results.

Incidentally, for all the hoopla about Canadians being denied entry into the US, it's interesting to note that Canada, too, has laws that similar laws regarding HIV+ people from coming to Canada. I don't know if there are publicized reports of this actually happening, but it is clearly stated in Canadian immigration information: 38(1)©.

On a different note, Canada also bars entry to individuals who have been convicted of certain crimes (including DUI). THIS law IS routinely inforced, even for airline crew members. We are required to prove that we have been "rebabilitated".

My advice: be informed, plan ahead, but DON'T PANIC.

John, that relates to immigration not to visiting. Canada requires that you be in good health to immigrate because, as you know, we don't want someone to be a burden to our health care system, since you are covered by medicare from the minute you immigrate until the minute you die (and sometimes beyond.) They are very strict on health status for immigration, as almost all other countries are.

The requirement for visiting is being in good health. You can certainly have HIV and be in good health. From what I understand they are not allowed to ask your HIV status for reasons of privacy when visiting. They are allowed to ask if you appear to not be in good health. They can and will take action in the case of known epidemics. In that case, the law allows any visitor to be excluded.

This post is from another thread but I wanted to continue the discussion here because it's more on topic here.

I agree with you regarding the US policies on this being terrible. There is information about the policies and the waiver here (PDF format link). Additionally, there is information about the effect of the ban here, it talks about how people sometimes travel to the US without their HIV medication, to avoid getting caught at the border when they say they're HIV negative.

However, I'm not familiar with your claim that they are using the HIV ban to keep gays out. I've never heard ANYBODY say anything about "don't say you're gay" when entering the US. For one thing, I don't think they ask about your sexual orientation when you come through Customs. Perhaps it's because I'm female but I know I have never been asked if I am gay and I have never been asked if I have HIV.

I have tried to do some quick research on your claim and I can't find anything about it. If you could provide more information I would really appreciate it, because it sounds rather surprising to me.

A long time ago Yves and I were told to never say that we are Gay at the border. Some border guards have used the HIV exclusion as a way to keep Gays out of the US. When we travel by air, we always approach separately and not together (unlike Canada, where we fill in one immigration form as family.) Just to clarify, we are both HIV negative and we have been together 18 years. Still, one of the scariest places to be is at a US CBP border crossing because they can ruin your vacation with one quick decision.

When we are going over a land crossing, we are in the car together. We are often asked our relationship to each other. We realize that in Northern New York that it is much less of a problem but we have always been told to not mention our relationship but instead to say that we are roommates or live together.

There have been a few cases where the border guard having known that the person is Gay have accused the person of having HIV and therefore excluding them. Border guards can exclude you from visiting the US for a period of up to 10 years, they need to provide no reason and there is no formal appeal system. It's just not a place to assert yourself.

In fact, the Canadian government has a warning on the travel website for Canadians with criminal records warning them to not even go to a US border because there have been cases where people have been arrested and detained (for long periods of time). The US border crossing is already in the US and therefore they can arrest and detain people.

The border crossings have become so much of a problem that the US Embassy and Consulate's websites in Canada actually have a note to Canadians saying where complaints can be made.

Yves and I run a B&B. Every year our guests were mainly Canadians and Americans with some Europeans. There has been a visible change in visitors for us. We have a lot more Europeans and hardly any Americans at all. Unlike Schengen, the border between the US and Canada has become much more problematic and many people just don't want to go across the border. And the wait times can be horrible. Yves and I have been at the border and waited almost two hours to cross, for a 40 minute trip.

I do realize that these aren't issues that most Americans see or even hear about, but from our side of the border it is. I've spoken to a lot of people in Northern New York, who live right on the border. They don't travel into Canada anymore because they don't want to have to deal with US CBP... and some of them are US government employees.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! I'm the one who first started this post and I would like to give thanks for all the helpful information. My cruise is in 2 months and I have just received all my confirmation documents. So, I can relax now as it seems that I won't have any trouble entering Dubai, being HIV positive and with meds. However, I am getting conflicting advice about carrying my meds. Some people say that I should keep my meds in the original bottle with label....others say it's better to take the meds in a pill case. Anyone advice?? I'll probably ask my doctor when I see him next month, but I'd like to hear from those who have actually done it.

Michael

Paddy Anne

Hi, Paddy anne...Canada is not one of those countries. Pete & I cross regularly at Stanstead & the Douaniers only ask if we have really dangerous stuff (guns & knives).

Vive le Canada!

Steve

Archived