Advice for LONG flights

For those experienced International travelers.....what advice do you have to help make the long 10 hour flight better. (especially if you do not have a window seat)

Our flight will leave Atlanta at 8pm and arrive in Barcelona at 11:30am.

Is there a specific head/neck pillow that would actually make it comfortable and possible to sleep?

Thanks in advance!:)

Think about us Aussies flying to Europe or USA and then you will be laughing about your short flight. 10 hours actually passes quickly with meals, movies and a bit of reading time. Sleep also helps to pass the time and helps you to feel refreshed upon arrival.

Jennie

Qudos with the neck pillow! That is a must, because more than likely you will sleep at some point. Be sure to also drink plenty of fluids and do get up and walk. Drinking will help with the resistence of jet lag when you get to Barcelona! Sounds like you have the exact time air flight we did out of ATL last month. It was a great flight and even arrived 20 or so mins. early. I was dreading getting up to walk around but actually it was easy because after about 2 to 3 hours, everyone was asleep! Have fun and great flying!

My hubby and I bought the NAP travel pillows from Brookstone and I have to say--they're awesome. So soft and cozy. I think those pillows kept us sane on our flight from the east coast to Hawaii! (We'll be packing them again in July for Europe!)

Other than that--you might be surprised at how quickly 10 hours do pass with meals, movies and sleeping. I always pack a book or two and on our trip to HI, DH and I took our new portable DVD player. It didn't have the best battery life, but it had enough to let us watch a 2 hour movie. If you want to look for one of those, you might enjoy that too.

Other than that, I find having a glass of wine (or two) before takeoff makes me a much more relaxed and easygoing flyer :)

Enjoy your trip!

If you have an aisle seat, it may actually be better than a window seat -- slightly more room to stretch out the legs (but watch out for the trolleys....)

Seriously, I travel to Europe at least a couple of times a year. I try to eat in the airport before boarding when possible. After takeoff and a glass of wine, it's on with the socks and eyemask and off to sleep (usually with help of Tylenol pm). I've tried almost every type of pillow on the market and have found that the ones the airlines provide actually work best for me. If the flight is a noisy one, I'll put on my headphones and Ipod.

I never used to sleep on the flight when younger, but have learned my lesson. I don't want to ruin the whole next day by being in an exhausted fog -- almost passed out once while trying to enjoy the antiques market in London!

Great info so far,

in addition

DO NOT WEAR tight socks or stockings unless they are suggested by your MD.

Take your shoes off as soon as you are on board. For Hubby and you, loosen your belt.

An 8 PM takeoff with an eastbound flight should make sleep a little easier.

a

I find active noise-canceling earphones a big help. Cutting out the engine noise seems to greatly reduce stress and helps me relax and sleep. Gregorian Chants on my iPod helps too.

Drinks lots and the best thing to drink is water. If you can not stand the thought of drinking plain water, drink H2O instead. <grin> A glass or two of wine isn't going to hurt, but a try to keep it to a minimum.

Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I feel better if I don't eat on the plane. I'll eat a light dinner before boarding and then wait for breakfast (or the breakfast-like substance they serve).

Paul

I agree with Miss Jolly above - our recent trip to Europe from Australia involved 22 hours of flying time each way!! And it was fine. So your 10 hours will be no problem I'm sure. I advise getting up to walk around at least every hour if you are awake. You will always find a few people at the back of the cabins just stretching. If your plane has individual TV screens and movies you can pick, you will find the time passes very quickly.Drink plenty of water. Happy travelling!!

Great tips so far. I also recommend having a nice big meal prior to boarding and not waiting for the meal to be served. That way you can fall asleep as soon as you board. I usually get up very early the day of the flight (around 6AM) so that I am good and tired by 8PM.

Make sure to check in on line and get your boarding passes 24 hours before the flight. I did this on US Air recently and for $ 500 was able to upgrade to business class for the flight over. Since it was the night flight- I did this and it was totally worth it. I didn't care about business class on the way back- since it is a day flight.

Anyway, I put my seat all the way back into a bed and slept great. If you can afford it- do it. I was able to function the next day without taking a nap.

Another vote for noise cancelling headphones. They really make a difference - expensive but worth it!

Lisa

I picked up a pair of Sony headphones (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-NC6-Noise-Canceling-Headphones/dp/B000629GES)

for our Med cruise on the Gem. They did a pretty good job of reducing the engine droning, they sound nice for music and made watching the movie more enjoyable. They probably aren't as good as the $300 Bose headphones, but the price is right.

Dave

I bought a blow up pillow(u shaped) from target for about $3 that folds into a small case (about 4"x3"). It worked great and I put it in my purse when I was done.

My feet really swelled over the long flight. I wore mules and could not slip them all the way in, but in 1 hour they fit ok when walking around. Make sure you have enough room in your shoes or sneakers for growth.

I slept with no problem for half the flight but hubby had a terrible time, could not sleep and only got ansy with the benedryl he took. The next time I am getting him a sleeping pill priscription. It really ruins your first day if you dont get some sleep. I actually felt pretty good until about 9pm that night.

Try to get an upgrade into first class or business class. It's amazing how extra legroom and free champagne makes you feel that little bit more relaxed.

I'd disagree. Slightly.

Book business class. All my subsonic transatlantics have been with Virgin Upper Class (who include noise cancelling headphones).

The danger of trying for an upgrade is that you might fail. And I wouldn't do a transatlantic flight in cattle class. You need to stretch out properly.

Matthew

For those experienced International travelers.....what advice do you have to help make the long 10 hour flight better. (especially if you do not have a window seat)

Our flight will leave Atlanta at 8pm and arrive in Barcelona at 11:30am.

Is there a specific head/neck pillow that would actually make it comfortable and possible to sleep?

Thanks in advance!:)

For long flights, I make sure to bring one of the U shaped neck pillows. Wear comfortable clothes (track suits, t-shirts, comfy bra...no jeans, tight clothing, or thongs) and flip flops and a pair of socks.

Bring along things to do (sudoku, other puzzles, ipod, book, etc) and sleeping pills (I like Tylenol PM). Don't drink alot of alcohol and stay hydrated by drinking alot of water. Get up and walk around the cabin every few hours to stretch your legs. Ask the flight attendant for a blanket if you don't have one...ask for left overs when it's available. I bring a zip lock baggie of my essentials...chap stick, hand lotion, hand wipes, anti-bacterial gel, band aids, ear plugs.

When I board, I take two Tylenol PM and sleep for a good eight hours.

I'd disagree. Slightly.

Book business class. All my subsonic transatlantics have been with Virgin Upper Class (who include noise cancelling headphones).

The danger of trying for an upgrade is that you might fail. And I wouldn't do a transatlantic flight in cattle class. You need to stretch out properly.

Matthew

LOL careful now Matthew, not everyone wants to pay the full price for Business Class.

And not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford to book business class.

P.S. The noise cancelling headphones on Virgin Upper Class are superb. :)

LOL careful now Matthew, not everyone wants to pay the full price for Business Class.

And not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford to book business class.

P.S. The noise cancelling headphones on Virgin Upper Class are superb. :)

Who said anything about paying? I've yet to pay a full fare for a business class seat transatlantic.........

Subsonic, anyway.

Matthew

Here is another vote for lip balm, hand wipes and water. It get so dry in the airplane! It is also a bit refreshing at the end of the flight to wipe your hands and face with hand wipes (some airlines pass out warm, damp towels). I bring a tooth brush and tooth paste too - for the same reason.

I also like taking my shoes off in flight. Makes the flight more comfortable. On long flights get up and walk around or just move your legs around in place to help prevent DVT.

If you do not want to buy and carry noise blocking headphones, try the foam hearing protection that you can get at construction/home improvement stores. You roll them between your fingers and place them in your ear. They expand and it is silent! They are only about 3/4" long and 1/2" in diameter.

Others have mentioned getting up and walking around - and I strongly concur. I know several people who have come back from long trips and developed DVT, deep vein thrombosis, a serious condition in which clots form in the deep leg veins and can possibly embolize and travel to the lungs. DVT is also know as "economy class syndrome."

If you can't get up and walk, then do regular isometric exercises at your seat. Sleeping for a long time stuck in one position is not necessarily the best thing to do even though the time passes quickly.

If you have severe leg pain, swelling and redness of the leg after a long flight, see a doctor!!

So many great tips, thank you!

I have purchased the U shaped pillows before at the airport...but thought that these particular ones did not provide enough support. I am searching online for one that you can actually lean your head over on and be able to sleep.

Keep the tips coming.

Yep,

try visiting Rome from Melbourne Australia.

8 hours to Singapore, 12 hours to London, 2 hours to Rome with lounges in between each flight.

First good move was to get in months in advance and grab the 2 seat sets at the back of Economy. Much better for a couple but it does take longer to get off the plane at each stop.

Then purchased an iPod and loaded it with many videos, audio books and music. The in flight entertainment had individual seat screens but despite the range of choice only found about half a dozen offerings that I liked so the iPod got a good work out. Also grab the extra battery pack that plugs in to allow use of normal 9V batteries.

Then we purchased our own noise cancelling headphones, went for middle of the road types but they were great. When you take them off you wonder where all the noise is coming from.

Before the flight we drank plenty of water and as we had the use of the Qantas lounges we were able to pick up some bottles of water and take them on board. In the first few hours of each flight we drank at least a bottle of water each and went easy on the in flight soft drinks and spirits.

I did not sleep much on the flight but at the end after ariving at 5am in the morning we dropped of our bags and set out to see the sights, making sure we kept going until dinner at least. I find it helps to set my watch to the time of the destination as it helps me to estimate what time of the day it is where we are going.

Flying back the other way was not quite so good as we had bulkhead seats allocated which was 3 seats ( hoped the third seat might be empty but no luck and when the shoes came of the stranger I knew we were in for a longggg flight) and a TV that folded up from the arm rest. The locking knob was digging into my thigh and I am still seeing signs of the bruising 3 months later. The use of the arm rest for TV and table also stops it from folding up so you can snuggle together a bit. Also the direction of flying made jet lag more of an issue. WE got back on the Staurday night, had Sunday to unpack and clean up the garden a bit and then back to work Monday (to sleep sometimes) Took almost a week to get back to normal and that was determined more by the gym membership being suspended until the Thursday but once we got back to the gym sessions we both picked up pretty quickly.

This was the first time I have flown without a book to read and my eyes were much fresher on arrival. The audiobooks were a great replacement.

It sounds like your flight is one leg, on ours we had 2 or 3 legs and having a shower in the lounges was a great pick me up.

Looking forward to trying the new Airbus A380 for our next trip.

David

Archived