Your favorite VNP itinerary....

kwcrnp

Rent car (shuttles at pier) and drive to VNP (useful to have someone over 62 in the car who can get you in free with their Golden Age Passport.). Go to the Visitor Center, then to the Art Gallery to the left (west). Go to Volcano House to look at the view. If there is anyone in your group who wants to walk across the crater, this is the place to start. Dh likes to meet someone on board who will cross with him, and I pick them up on the other side. If not walking, either go clockwise to the Thurston Lava Tube, or go right to the earthquake observation center - someone help me out here, I forget the name. Drive around further and walk down to the Halemaumau fire pit (steaming sulfer recently).

When you have seen enough in the park, head over to the town of Volcano for lunch, then drive down the hill - maybe to the Orchid Farm or the Macadamia Nut Factory, or Rainbow Falls at the edge of Hilo. Return car.

• Administrators
We are planning to spend the day at VNP in Dec. I've read so many various things and took some notes but would like to hear what are your favorite spots and/or things to do at VNP.

Thanks!

Kristi

My post (number 4) in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=635862&highlight=VNP set out our wonderful, unforgettable day at VNP. I agree about Chain of Craters Drive. As you'll see in that post, it was our top highlight of our VNP day.

Here's a picture from Chain of Craters: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2914390990101795198hiDygT

And one looking back up the volcano: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2648452250101795198upxFNJ

Been there twice now....so suggestion....is skip Volcano House unless you have plenty of time and VNP is the only thing you are doing that day. Go counterclockwise to the Jaguer Museum first to see the types of lava so you understand what you are seeing (also get pretty much the same view as Volcano House just different side). Then proceed around stopping where you want but if it was us we would drive around then take the Chain of Crater road. If time, the Thurston Lava Tube and back to the Sulphur Pits which is back to main entrance then proceed like you are headed back to the Jaguer Museum....walk to the ones to the right side of the road. A nice stroll thru the pits.....if time.

Lou

I have one more suggestion - behind the VH is a trail - it's about 1/2 mile long and take you down into the forest behind VH, but above the rim of the crater. it's seldom used except by those of us who know and it is a fabulous way to get a different view of the crater. There are wild straw orchids, ginger and ohia that line the path of either side and it is not a hard hike, but well worth the 20 minutes it takes to traverse it.

We've been to VNP over 30 times and it is still the first thing we do when we get to the park.

Charlie

Has anyone driven the Moana Loa Strip road between VNP and the Moana Loa trailhead. We are thinking of doing this in order to visit some less crowded native forest habitat, and I was wondering how long to allow for the 13 mile drive (and what to expect in terms of road conditions)?

Thanks

We started driving it one time, but were underwhelmed and turned around when we found a wide spot in the road. The road itself is very rugged and gets worse the further in you go. There is supposedly a view at the end, but we had no desire to continue. The scenery along the road (trail really) was not very exciting and I did not like all of the tree branches scratching my car. You must travel VERY slowly on the road and I imagine it would take quite awhile to travel the 13 miles. And then, of course, you must travel back down...so it would be very time consuming.

Before you start on this road there is nice area called Bird Park. There is a marked trail that you can walk and enjoy spotting birds. You will basically see the same type forest. But, I am not really into that kind of nature....so perhaps the Mauna Loa Road, etc. would be interesting to others who are much more knowledgeable than I am.

We started driving it one time, but were underwhelmed and turned around when we found a wide spot in the road. The road itself is very rugged and gets worse the further in you go. There is supposedly a view at the end, but we had no desire to continue. The scenery along the road (trail really) was not very exciting and I did not like all of the tree branches scratching my car. You must travel VERY slowly on the road and I imagine it would take quite awhile to travel the 13 miles. And then, of course, you must travel back down...so it would be very time consuming.

Before you start on this road there is nice area called Bird Park. There is a marked trail that you can walk and enjoy spotting birds. You will basically see the same type forest. But, I am not really into that kind of nature....so perhaps the Mauna Loa Road, etc. would be interesting to others who are much more knowledgeable than I am.

Thanks! There are apparantly certain birds that are easier to find near the top than they are at the bottom...now we know what to expect!:)

I Was Just There Two Weeks Ago And The One Thing Not To Miss Is To Drive All The Way Down To The Bottom Of Crater Rim Road And Park And Walk To The Wall That Is At The Edge, Looking Out At The Ocean Where The Lava Flowed Into It. You Will Get The Most Incredible Pictures Also There Is An Arch That You Will See That I Have Seen In Magazines And On The Travel Channel.

I Was Just There Two Weeks Ago And The One Thing Not To Miss Is To Drive All The Way Down To The Bottom Of Crater Rim Road And Park And Walk To The Wall That Is At The Edge, Looking Out At The Ocean Where The Lava Flowed Into It. You Will Get The Most Incredible Pictures Also There Is An Arch That You Will See That I Have Seen In Magazines And On The Travel Channel.

It really is beautiful there.

You can also continue your walk, about 1/2 mile and go to the place where the lava crossed the roadway. Great photo opportunity. It is interesting to see that mother nature has a mind of her own!;) The park rangers are very helpful and enjoyed passing along information to us.

Kristi - the trail is marked, but if you go around back of VH, you will see a paved walkway = turn right and you will go down onto the shelf above Halemaumau. Turn left and you'll walk along to rin to Byron's outlook. There's a neat little rain shelter there where we've had more than one picnic. The walk just brings a little peace and quiet to what might otherwise be a crazy day of sightseeing.

Charlie

• Administrators

It is quite beautiful, I agree -- one minor correction. The drive mentioned (to the sea arch, etc.) is Chain of Craters Road. Crater Rim Drive is the one that circles the main crater.

Lots of great suggestions...I am glad we decided to spend a full day around VNP; not sure how we thought we could combine it with a heli ride. We will probably head to some of the less visited spots first, and save the big ticket items for a little later in the day, when the crowds thin out...or do the crowds never really thin out?

thanks again!

Lots of great suggestions...I am glad we decided to spend a full day around VNP; not sure how we thought we could combine it with a heli ride. We will probably head to some of the less visited spots first, and save the big ticket items for a little later in the day, when the crowds thin out...or do the crowds never really thin out?

thanks again!

I would totally agree with spending an entire day there, but a Heli ride woudl probably be a really neat thing too. Just not enough time for everything. When we were there in June, the afternoon crowds were worse than the morning crowds. I have a feeling every day can be different. The main thing is to try and time it so you are not getting to the overlook or other stop at the same time as tour buses. Of course many of the stops you will likely make doing it on your own are not made by the buses.

Archived