Suite 234 – Wheelchair accessible

Early Retiree

We are considering Suite 234 for a 3-week cruise on the Spirit. This suite is wheelchair accessible and while I love the idea of a shower, I am concerned that other features of a wheelchair accessible suite would not be convenient for us. Does anyone know if the sink is lower and if the closet rails and other storage is lower?

Any help is appreciated. If we do not take this suite we have to move up another category into suite 303 is pretty far forward.

Merril

I have stayed in 234 and it is definitely not wheel-chair accessible. Of course, it depends on the maneuverability of the cruiser in the wheel-chair if the suite can be negotiated, such as not needing to be in the chair all the time. I have often commented that it's a real tight fit between the vanity and the end of the bed, for one thing. There is a small 'lip' at the entrance of the bathroom, although it's easy for the generously-sized shower. Nothing else is configured any differently than the other suites. Nothing is lowered and there are no extra railings, such as by the toilet. There is one, but that's the only one throughout.

Last winter there was a couple on the Pride and she was very immobile and in the chair all the time. Several points, the rear elevator is not suitable for use (it's tiny), but the two mid-ships are. To get down to the tender/dock, one can use the galley elevator, but it's a mite tricky. The staff were quite helpful in assisting this passenger get on and off the ship, but it was not easy. This couple were in either 06 or 05, one of the larger suites. I have not stayed in one of the larger forward suites, so cannot comment, but am sure others can.

Hope this helps.

I have sailed with other passengers in wheelchairs and they seem to have mostly stayed onboard and have a wonderful time.

I have stayed in 234 and it is definitely not wheel-chair accessible. Of course, it depends on the maneuverability of the cruiser in the wheel-chair if the suite can be negotiated, such as not needing to be in the chair all the time. I have often commented that it's a real tight fit between the vanity and the end of the bed, for one thing. There is a small 'lip' at the entrance of the bathroom, although it's easy for the generously-sized shower. Nothing else is configured any differently than the other suites. Nothing is lowered and there are no extra railings, such as by the toilet. There is one, but that's the only one throughout.

Last winter there was a couple on the Pride and she was very immobile and in the chair all the time. Several points, the rear elevator is not suitable for use (it's tiny), but the two mid-ships are. To get down to the tender/dock, one can use the galley elevator, but it's a mite tricky. The staff were quite helpful in assisting this passenger get on and off the ship, but it was not easy. This couple were in either 06 or 05, one of the larger suites. I have not stayed in one of the larger forward suites, so cannot comment, but am sure others can.

Hope this helps.

I have sailed with other passengers in wheelchairs and they seem to have mostly stayed onboard and have a wonderful time.

Thanks, Jane,

We are hale and hearty so I needed to know if we would find the suite inconvenient. It sounds as if there is no problem. Merril

Then you will be fine. I love the walk-in shower as I find the tub sides way too high for me if the seas are bouncy.

I mis-interpreted your post. However, someone else might need the information. I do hope that on the Odyssey tha tthe handicapped accessible suites are really configured as such. I'm not booked until 2010 and might need one then.

Archived