Victoria

We have a short stop in Victoria on the last day of our AK cruise. From 6 PM - midnight. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do while we are there? It will be a Saturday night in early May.

Options through ship include:

A tour of the city and stop at winery

Tour of city and high tea at the Empress

Victoria highlights tour and stop at Craigdarroch Castle

Victorial by horse drawn trolley - one hour

Any suggestions? Thanks

You will find lots of info on Victoria if you check back through the threads and do the same over on the Pac NorWest forum.

Early May: the weather would be my indicator for what I would do in the City at that time of day. If it's dry you could just hang out around the inner harbour and maybe take that horse drawn carriage.

That is our favorite port! We took a ship tour that included the high tea at the Empress, a little city tour, and a stop to tour Craig Darroch. It was on a double decker bus.

The Empress was beautiful. I bought a little silver tea spoon in the gift shop. The tea was very enjoyable. We were seated with others that we didn't know, but we didn't mind. I didn't care for the tea or the little snacks, but it was still enjoyable.

The Craig Darroch castle is more of a very large house, but was interesting.

Then our bus driver let us out to walk around. You must stop in the Rogers Chocolate store for some of their cremes. They are out of this world.

I wonder if you could google Craig Darroch and get a look in there to see if that is something that interests you.

Have fun on your trip!

I lived in Victoria for 35 years, and honestly, I would suggest you not take the horse drawn trolley. It's not a romantic carriage ride for two, it's a big wagon-type vehicle with seating for about 30 people, pulled by two very old and poop-y horses. I'm sorry, but it was the bane of our existence for anyone who lives and drives there. They take you around the downtown core and through Beacon Hill Park - it's just... boring. :o Victoria is a fine city with so much to offer... there are other things to do that would be time much better spent.

I agree - check other threads here. There are tons of threads about Victoria on this board... just read the titles on the first 5 or 6 pages, maybe. You'll get plenty of ideas from people (myself included) who have already contributed here.

Have a fun cruise.:)

Another Victoria native here (been gone a few years though).....There are the big 'tally ho' horse drawns that carry large groups, but there are also 1 or 2 companies operating much smaller 2-4 person carriages. I would have thought high tea wouldn't be an option for a 6pm arrival. (isn't traditional tea time more 2-4?) I'm sure the Empress' website would have that info. (I believe it's part of the Fairmont chain now). Also wanted to point out correct spelling to ease in your potential search..it's Craigdarroch...all one word :)

I always really enjoyed the Royal British Columbia Museum, it's across the street from the Empress and the Parliament Buildings. There are lots of restaurants etc. in the Inner Harbour area to choose from.

Have fun!

Another Victoria native here (been gone a few years though).....There are the big 'tally ho' horse drawns that carry large groups, but there are also 1 or 2 companies operating much smaller 2-4 person carriages. I would have thought high tea wouldn't be an option for a 6pm arrival. (isn't traditional tea time more 2-4?) I'm sure the Empress' website would have that info. (I believe it's part of the Fairmont chain now). Also wanted to point out correct spelling to ease in your potential search..it's Craigdarroch...all one word :)

I always really enjoyed the Royal British Columbia Museum, it's across the street from the Empress and the Parliament Buildings. There are lots of restaurants etc. in the Inner Harbour area to choose from.

Have fun!

The high tea is specially offered just for HA passengers - not open to general public, but it is too late for me anyway. I would like to see the Empress, though.

Can you tell me more about the Royal British Columbia Museum?

Thanks!

I would like to see the Empress, though.

Can you tell me more about the Royal British Columbia Museum?

You can see the Empress - it's right across form the Museum. There is lots to do in the downtown core. You must go to Sam's Deli on Government Street and have the best roast beef sandwich of your life. After that, walk up to Roger's Chocolates and have a Victoria Cream... mmmm... my mouth waters. :p

http://www.fairmont.com/empress

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

http://www.samsdeli.com/index.php

http://www.rogerschocolates.com/

Archived