Alaska Cruise Questions

petesweet

We are scheduled for B2B Alaska and then Hawaii on the Serenade next September. I am getting a little anxious as I read these boards. Things seem a bit complicated. I guess the smartest (although not cheapest) thing to do would be take the cruiseline's air and transfers.

In case I decide to do otherwise, I do need help about the cruise port. I read about Ballantyne and another pier. Which will the Serenade use? I don't see anything about it on our papers.

Thanks.

I was reading another post about a transfer called U.S. Direct. I'm still trying to find out more details. But my understanding is you land at the airport and see the U.S. Direct rep and follow the signs through the airport. You get in the short line for immigration, passport in hand, and then onto the bus. Once the bus is full, they put a piece of tape on the door and declare the bus sealed. Since the bus has cleared customs, they can drive through the checkpoints and directly over the the ship.

What I'm not sure about is does it really save time over just getting a cab. I wasn't aware there were checkpoints other than at the airport. And I'm not sure if this person booked it through RCCL.

Thought I'd pass the info on to you.

Maybe someone else who knows more about it will shed some additional info on it.

I was just planning on getting our own flights into Vancouver and catching a cab to the ship. Have no idea what cab fare is to there.

Has anyone had a bad experience flying in on the same day from the East Coast? I am the first one to always suggest people fly in at least a day ahead of time, but if I use RCCL's air arrangements, that would be the same day. But also they would take care of me if there is any problem. A friend of ours did the same thing a few weeks ago. Flew out of our airport about 5 a.m. and got to Vancouver in plenty of time. Any horror stories anyone knows about?

We used RCCL's air arrangements once, but the flight was delayed and we almost missed the ship. The regular entrance was aready closed. They shoved our seapass cards in our hands and told us to run. We got on the gangway where the crew gets on. Now we book our own.

One thing about it though, the timezone may be in your favor. Wouldn't it be a couple hours earlier than the east coast?

Has anyone had a bad experience flying in on the same day from the East Coast? I am the first one to always suggest people fly in at least a day ahead of time, but if I use RCCL's air arrangements, that would be the same day. But also they would take care of me if there is any problem. A friend of ours did the same thing a few weeks ago. Flew out of our airport about 5 a.m. and got to Vancouver in plenty of time. Any horror stories anyone knows about?

Pete, you can do custom air (75$) per person unless you are Platinum or above then free, and go in a day or two early. You are not forced to fly in the day of if you want to use cruise air.

The secret is to break everything down, we did Alaska this year and the complication we had was my daughter was doing an internship in San Francisco. We live in NY so I had to get us all there, meet up , and get to the ship. It all worked beautifully but I didn't sleep for the month before having nightmares over all the things that could go wrong. My daughter due to her schedule had to fly in the morning of the cruise and she was right on time. We flew in the night before and were delayed in NY for 3 hours because of thunderstorms. Sorry I digress.

Break each portion of the trip down and see what you need for each, flights , transfers, hotels, etc. and see which is a better way to go RCCL or on your own. Try sidestep.com they are very user friendly with mult-city flights.

I was reading another post about a transfer called U.S. Direct. I'm still trying to find out more details. But my understanding is you land at the airport and see the U.S. Direct rep and follow the signs through the airport. You get in the short line for immigration, passport in hand, and then onto the bus. Once the bus is full, they put a piece of tape on the door and declare the bus sealed. Since the bus has cleared customs, they can drive through the checkpoints and directly over the the ship.

What I'm not sure about is does it really save time over just getting a cab. I wasn't aware there were checkpoints other than at the airport. And I'm not sure if this person booked it through RCCL.

Thought I'd pass the info on to you.

Maybe someone else who knows more about it will shed some additional info on it.

I was just planning on getting our own flights into Vancouver and catching a cab to the ship. Have no idea what cab fare is to there.

If you are arriving the day of your cruise and use US Direct to the ship, you will not be in the Canada Customs line up, so you will save time.

You must arrive before 3 PM or else you will have to do Canada Customs and collect your luggage and exit the baggage area with your bags to meet the RCCL rep. and on to the ship. They do not transfer cruise tagged bags after 3 PM.

A cab to the pier I think, is somewhere around $35 CAD. It is about a half hour trip to Ballentyne depending on traffic.

I have heard from the cruise ship reps of passengers over the years missing their cruise because of delayed flights, so it is a risk traveling the same day as the cruise. Also, if there are luggage problems coming in earlier you have a better chance reuniting with your bag.

Do not put your cruise ship tags on your bags unless you are traveling the same day your cruise ship leaves. There are cruise ship tags similar to other cruise ships and they are often pulled by the baggage handlers, by mistake for a ship leaving that day. It creates a delay for the passenger waiting for their bags to be retrieved. So, I would advise you put the tags in the outside pouch with your itinerary instead.

Hope this is of some help. Happy travels...

If you are arriving the day of your cruise and use US Direct to the ship, you will not be in the Canada Customs line up, so you will save time.

You must arrive before 3 PM or else you will have to do Canada Customs and collect your luggage and exit the baggage area with your bags to meet the RCCL rep. and on to the ship. They do not transfer cruise tagged bags after 3 PM.

A cab to the pier I think, is somewhere around $35 CAD. It is about a half hour trip to Ballentyne depending on traffic.

I have heard from the cruise ship reps of passengers over the years missing their cruise because of delayed flights, so it is a risk traveling the same day as the cruise. Also, if there are luggage problems coming in earlier you have a better chance reuniting with your bag.

Do not put your cruise ship tags on your bags unless you are traveling the same day your cruise ship leaves. There are cruise ship tags similar to other cruise ships and they are often pulled by the baggage handlers, by mistake for a ship leaving that day. It creates a delay for the passenger waiting for their bags to be retrieved. So, I would advise you put the tags in the outside pouch with your itinerary instead.

Lots of good information here.

And thanks to previous poster with details about how to make decision;however, I really know how to do it. It's just that I'm a little anxious this time because this is so different from normal arrangements. I guess once I do it I'll understand more what people are saying. Thanks to everyone.

Thanks for the info. So if we do decide to use US Direct, how do I book it? Is it a service of RCCL? Or is it a private service? And if I'm understanding you right, if we use US Direct, then we don't see our bags again so we have to put the luggage tags on before our flight in, right?

Thanks again for the info.

We flew into Vancouver the day before our cruise. There were no lines at all, we walked straight up to an agent, and were in a limo on the way to our hotel in just a few minutes. They have limo's waiting outside the terminal you can just grab, for about $45 to downtown. The next day we took a cab to Ballantyne for under $10 and were able to board the ship at 11:00 am!! Plus we got to see the beautiful city of Vancouver before we sailed.

There were some people on our ship that used US direct and did not get their luggage until we got to Ketchikan.

We flew into Vancouver the day before our cruise. There were no lines at all, we walked straight up to an agent, and were in a limo on the way to our hotel in just a few minutes. They have limo's waiting outside the terminal you can just grab, for about $45 to downtown. The next day we took a cab to Ballantyne for under $10 and were able to board the ship at 11:00 am!! Plus we got to see the beautiful city of Vancouver before we sailed.

There were some people on our ship that used US direct and did not get their luggage until we got to Ketchikan.

What hotel did you stay at?

Vancouver is a beautiful city and worth seeing if you decide to come in early! :)

Yes, if you put your ship tags on your luggage and do the US Direct, you will not see your bags until they appear in your cabin. It can happen that if they don't make your flight you won't have any baggage without knowing that ahead of time.

If you choose to arrive without using US Direct you will come down into Canada Customs which can be a short line or a longer wait depending on the flights that arrive when you do.

The cruise line reps are in the Baggage area, only for ships departing that day and all others are outside the baggage area to serve you. There is transportation by the curb outside the main doors.

If you want to collect your luggage, and you fly in the day of sailing, Do Not put your ship tags on your bags. Or else they will be pulled with the US Direct bags and go to the ship by a truck from the tarmac, up to 3 PM. They do not come on to the carousel.

I believe it is a Cruise Line offering to do this method of arrival at YVR.

Be sure you have the correct birth date and info on the application or else you are made to come down into Canada Customs with the other passengers.

Glad to be of assistance.

We were on the same sailing as JJ2sail (Hi Jen) and we went in three days early. We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites on Robson St. A great location and easy to walk to almost anyplace on Robson and Gas Town. Plus they offered a free breakfast buffet every morning. The hotel also offers a free shuttle service that will drop you off at designated locations, but you must make your own way back to the hotel. On the day of embarkation, we took their free shuttle service to Ballantyne Pier at 9:30AM and were on the ship before 11:00.

Check-in at Ballantyne was the most efficient and easiest we have ever experienced. You also have to go through customs one more time before boarding the ship, so after check in, you are directed upstairs where the rep will give you a number. When your number is called, you get in line and then when it's your turn you present yourself and your passport to the customs agent. You are then allowed to board the ship.

If you are doing USDirect, that service is only available for those pax arriving on the day of sailing. All you have to do is let the cruise lines know that is your choice and your name will be put on their manifest.

CVU (Hi Dayle) gave you some great information.

We were on the same sailing as JJ2sail (Hi Jen) and we went in three days early. We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites on Robson St. A great location and easy to walk to almost anyplace on Robson and Gas Town. Plus they offered a free breakfast buffet every morning. The hotel also offers a free shuttle service that will drop you off at designated locations, but you must make your own way back to the hotel. On the day of embarkation, we took their free shuttle service to Ballantyne Pier at 9:30AM and were on the ship before 11:00.

Check-in at Ballantyne was the most efficient and easiest we have ever experienced. You also have to go through customs one more time before boarding the ship, so after check in, you are directed upstairs where the rep will give you a number. When your number is called, you get in line and then when it's your turn you present yourself and your passport to the customs agent. You are then allowed to board the ship.

If you are doing USDirect, that service is only available for those pax arriving on the day of sailing. All you have to do is let the cruise lines know that is your choice and your name will be put on their manifest.

Hi Pattie, thank you! You give great advice too!!

We have a lovely sunny Fall day here in Vancouver. Perfect for our golf game.

Thanks for that very helpful information. Do you remember how much it cost to get to the hotel from the airport? (Taxi? shuttle? how?) Again, many thanks.

Just be aware that Ballantyne is in the icky part of town.:o The bright side is, though, that the horrific lineups that are common at Canada Place are practically non-existent, as there will only be one ship there.

Hi CVU; great day, isn't it?

Just be aware that Ballantyne is in the icky part of town.:o The bright side is, though, that the horrific lineups that are common at Canada Place are practically non-existent, as there will only be one ship there.

Hi CVU; great day, isn't it?

Hi Dirtgirl, it sure is!

Thanks for that very helpful information. Do you remember how much it cost to get to the hotel from the airport? (Taxi? shuttle? how?) Again, many thanks.

We used the Airporter Bus Service. They are located right outside on the curb after you get your luggage. I believe the cost was $26.00 for the both of us.

The only problem that we encountered which was completely different from when we were there in 2005, is that we had to change buses..........so that meant putting our luggage on one bus, then taking it off and putting it on another bus. In the end, they did drop us off right at the front door of the Hampton.

If it were up to me, I would have paid for a van/taxi for direct service.........but money conscious hubby (known as ell cheap o) wanted the bus adventure!!:( I think he agreed with me after we got to the hotel!

Archived