Southern Caribbean Excursions

Hello Everyone. My husband and I are cruising on the Serenade in December and are going to book our excursions soon! I know, I know... we should do it ASAP in order to get the good excursions at the good times. We'll try and book what we can, and if it's already full we'll try something else.

When we went on our cruise in 2004, we actually enjoyed staying on the ship during some of the port days. So I am thinking that we will go on excursions on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th days (the 6th is a day at sea). That way we have a nice relaxing day inbetween the fun-filled days. This will put us on the islands of St. Thomas, Anitgua, and Barbados for excursions. We want to snorkel, go to a beach, and go on an island tour. An excursion that combines these is just fine also.

Do you all have suggestions for which of these are the best to snorkel and beach? A long beach day won't work, because my husband can only stand to beach bum for about an hour or two. I found an old thread from 2005 that included a poll for the best beaches in the Southern Caribbean (with the same ports that I am visiting!) and it seemed like St. John (with a ferry from St. Thomas) was pretty popular. Looking at all these shore excursion options, it's pretty hard to decide which to do, and other opinions will help us to decide!

Thanks for your help!

We will be sailing with you on Serenade on our first cruise. Go to the Roll Call for our ship, then find our sail date. You can read through what others we are sailing with are doing. Also, sign up for the Meet & Mingle.

We are doing a beach day in St. Thomas (actually heading over to St. Johns), Rhino Riders & beach in St. Martin, beach day in Antigua, Cosol tour (said to be the best!) in St. Lucia, Shasa Catamaran 3 hour snorkel tour in Barbados.

Sue

Is silvermoon an ship excursion or a private one?? Where kind I find it??? I have heard much about it and would like to check it out.

www.oceanadventures.bb is the website for the Silver Moon. I highly recommend it.

My favorite excursions in Serenade's ports:

Barbados: Silver Moon - snorkeling and swimming with the sea turtles.

St. Lucia: Island tour with Cosol www.cosol-tours.com

Antigua: Eli's Eco Tour - snorkeling, swimming, hiking, tour of the coastline of Antigua by boat www.adventureantigua.com

St. Thomas: take the ferry over to Trunk Bay on St. John. Gorgeous beach, nice snorkel trail, and if you go independently you beat the cruise ship excursions. I've also heard good recommendations for Cinnamon Bay on St. John.

Thanks for the recommendations. We are in 5 ports, but thinking of staying on the ship one day. Or at least maybe just going off for a few hours in the morning. Which port would you skip or make the shortest day of. I think of the five ports, (St Thomas, St Maarten, Antigua, St Lucia, and Barbados)

I have heard the least on St maarten. Would this been the least liked (if a caribbean island can be called that)????????????

I would skip antigua.

That was our original plan a few weeks ago but we ended up at a nice beach. (darkwood)

Once you leave the cruise area it is a free for all.

It was a hassle with all the taxi people always coming up to you to see if you wanted a tour.

If you do decide to venture out to one of the beaches make sure you see the taxi you will be going it.

I was shocked they even allowed the one we were in to be driven. It had no speedometer and wasnt in great condition.

The driver also was a bit leadfooted. But I must say, he did come back for us at the scheduled time.

The island in my opinion isnt like the others on the itinerary.

And after 2 fun days on the other islands, you will need a break about thurday.

Take it and enjoy the ship or you might miss all she has to offer.

St Maarten however, is now my 2 favorite island.

Barbados, silvermoon 1 (the 12 person) cat was great and the owners are really down to earth.

St Lucia, we di a tour with herods.

St Maarten, there is a beach across from where you are docked.

It has all the shopping and food you could want right there. Heinekens are a $1

St thomas, went to sapphire beach. Beautiful

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions for islands, excursions, and the Roll Call. Hopefully I will have more time later this week to look more closely at things in order to book something! And hopefully I can get a good chunk of free time to look at the Roll Call... There's a lot to read there!

bermuda,

thanks for the info. i am compiling quite a file and will sit down after christmas and have hubby look at it and start to make some decisions

when everyone says to book excursions early, what does this mean?? 6 months or 6 weeks??

6 months.

Archived