Russian Bishop's House in Sitka

gonnago

My sister-in-law and I loved this guided tour. We love history, antiques, etc and this museum on the lower floor with it's 30 minute guided tour of the upstairs room is well-worth the $3.00. Some of the furniture was actually used in 1857 or so.

Of course, the hubbies didn't want to go inside even though it was raining, so they walked back into the local neighborhood and even checked out a local grocery store. They were well entertained and we ladies were left to our great tour of this rare building which was built by the Russians from Siberia in 1800's.

[I]"Thanks to all for your help & advice. Our May 28th cruise was much better for it!"[/I]

I can't agree more with Gonnago... if you are visiting Sitka try to make time for the Bishop's House. It's right in town, not that far from the tender dock...

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time![/B] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle
One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea..</font>

Caroline, when were you there? Our male host/guide was originally from Sitka and had returned after retirement a few years ago. He had so many good stories about the history of Sitka. He said even the shoreline had been changed, by man, since his childhood there.

That house is not advertised enough by Sitka and ships. Everyone, please check it out when you are in Sitka. :-)

[I]"Thanks to all for your help & advice. Our May 28th cruise was much better for it!"[/I]

Archived