Island Princess 19 day Panama Canal photos

Sandy R

Sandy - What a great job you did with those pictures! Really wonderful. Now, just in case we have to cancel our April cruise for some unexpected reason, I'll feel like we've "been there" through your pictures. Thank you so much! Bucky

Sandy, we were on this cruise and I am totally jazzed with the fabulous memorable trip I just relived. You are an amazing photographer. I could not take any tours and you did the most wonderful recap. I expect when you send any photos into Princess you will win the free cruise.

What a gorgeous sunset you captured to end the greatest cruise. My husband took digital photos, too but only from our balcony. Thanks a bunch for taking time to put on Cruise Critic. Sailinsal

lovely pics. we are on the island saturday and can't wait.

one question i'm trying to arrange someone to download pics off the canal website as we go through, what time (local) roughly do we pass through, then i've got to work out uk time. also need to know what time to set the alarm for...

thanks

Alrewas... we began our Canal adventure before dawn, at 5:45 a.m. But, we did a 19 day Panama Cruise and didn't traverse the Canal through to the Atlantic side. It's possible that our start time might be different than the one you'll be on.

I really enjoyed viewing your Panama Canal cruise photo album. I now know(visual) how the ships navigate through the various locks. I just have to wait. We are book for Panama Canal cruise but not until April 2009.

Once again thank you for sharing your wonderful photos.

Margaret

Sandy,

Thanks for sharing your pictures!! I am sailing on the April 21st cruise and would love any recommendations you have for excursions. Did you book via the ship or independently?

One other question -- do you enter and exit the Canal in the same day? It is hard to tell from the itinerary.

Thanks! :D

Spingal... we were supposed to overnight in Gatun Lake but it was announced the day prior to starting our trek into the Canal, that we would be doing it all in one day. I wasn't surprised because I had read somewhere that last year's 19 day Panama Cruise did the same thing. It was a definite plus. Instead of spending 5 hours in the evening seeing Panama City, we had a whole day there. We turned in our ship's tour tickets for Panama City at Night, as soon as we heard about the change in plans, and the morning after our Canal visit, 8 of us tendered ashore in Furte Amador and hired a van and English-speaking driver to show us the city... and were we ever impressed.

We don't usually book ship tours if we can help it. Here's the info on our private tours we booked prior to the cruise:

Our tour in Guatemala, from Puerto Quetzal to Antigua, was with Turansa Tours - e-mail: info@turansa.com - website: http://www.turansa.com. We did have to send a check to their Miami, Fla office, for full payment, one month prior to the tour. This year the cost was $40US per person - pick-up 9 a.m. and drop off 4:30 p.m. Provided was a comfortable air-conditioned van, driver and English-speaking guide. Lunch was extra... about $10 per person including drinks. Contact person: Ariel Morales. The tour was wonderful!

Our tour in Puntarenas, Costa Rica was with Charlie Soto - e-mail: okeydokeytours@hotmail.com - website: http://www.okeydokeytours.com. We were picked-up at 9 a.m. for a 7 hour tour. Provided was a comfortable air-conditioned van and Charlie as our guide (I asked specifically for him to be our guide). This year the cost was $85US per person, lunch was extra... about $20 per person including drinks. Charlie didn't ask for payment until the tour was over. We had a wonderful time... the Crocodile Boat Tour was one of the highlights of the cruise.

Sandy

Sandy, what great pics. especially of the canal. it brought back alot of great memories of that area. I particurly enjoyed Guatamala. Have not been there yet. Again thanks for shairng your pics and experiences.

marilyn

We are also booked with Charlie Soto. Did you go to Jaco Beach for lunch? What is that beach like? Could you have just spent time on the beach and skipped lunch had you wanted to?

I emailed him and am booking the Crocodile Tour -- is that the one you booked??? If so, my parents and I are joining you!! :D

Archived