Where can you cruise without a passport???

Any cruise leaving and returning to a US port does not require a passport until summer of 2008. A birth certificate and driver's license is all that is required.
Probably not for a short cruise, but otherwise it depends on where it visits while it's gone. You might not only need a passport but also a visa.

Actually, for the same cruises that do not need a passport now, you won't need a passport for in 2008 or 2009 either, so the 60 day notice is irrelevant in terms of cruising. The last phase of the WHTI law has an exception for RT cruises from the US, so it does not matter when it is implemented. Its still a better idea to have a passport, but they are not required.

One caveat to this, one way Alaska cruises do not currently require a passport but they won't be covered under the round trip exception, so you will need a passport for one Alaska cruises when it goes into effect. Best advice is get a passport!!!

Also, a reminder to those people that got a passport this year or are putting it off, 10 years from now when you go to renew DO IT EARLY as all those other people that waited for their passports with you will also be renewing at the same time.

Land/Cruise out of U.S.A. = No Passport till 08

Air ANYWHERE = Passport

Correct me if I am wrong, but flying domestically within US can still be done with Drivers Lic and BC (even for Canadians). At least this is what the Canadian Government's passport website states.

We plan to drive across the border in Dec and catch a flight out of Detroit to Fort Lauderdale to get to our West Caribbean cruise with only our Drivers Lic and BC. I choose to save the money (a good $200!) for our passports and spend it on the cruise.

ANyone who can confirm this would be great!

It seems to me that even the "summer of 2008" is not a done deal. I believe the language is something like "as early as 2008"... I take that to mean could be even later.

With all the talk about passports needed or not and what the US requires regarding this you should never forget that it´s mostly the foreign countries you visit who set the rules.

The US may or may not change the rules for passport needs to re-entry the US after visiting a foreign country and they may or may not give x days of advance notice before changing the rules.

However the countries you visit can choose to change the rules anytime and without any further advance notice. Even if it might be unlikely with many countries in the Caribbean as they need the dollars and won´t want to hurt their economy it´s still their choice and they can do it.

Just my two cents and something to think about when planning to travel outside the US.;)

One caveat to this, one way Alaska cruises do not currently require a passport but they won't be covered under the round trip exception, so you will need a passport for one Alaska cruises when it goes into effect.
To clarify even further...the one-way Alaska cruises do require a passport now if flying into/out of Canada. If one drives across the border (now), either before or after the cruise, you don't need a passport; but you will in 2008. THAT is the one difference between now and 2008 or 2009, and which I think you meant to refer to. The RT out of Seattle cruises will not need passports, now or later.

Archived