“exotic” Mexican Riviera/ Carn. Spirit 10/21-29

h2odad

Spirit comments, 10/21 – 29

Since I benefited from many posts before our trip to the “exotic” Mexican Riviera, I thought I’d share some thoughts after our return home.

We live in Orange County, and took Amtrak to San Diego; the terminal is about one block from the dock, and an easy walk.

Embarkation was good. They don’t inspect check through luggage as far as we could tell. Our friends had brought some rum and gin stored in some 24oz water bottles in their check through luggage, and they arrived on board with no problems.

The smugglers punch, (2 parts punch/ one part lemonade), available on Lido deck, did taste good with the rum. Orange juice with a bit of guava juice mixed well with vodka.

We did bring a couple bottles of wine with us as part of carry-on, and while they did x-ray, they didn’t visually inspect. (Note; if you tip your table waiter $5 or so, you may avoid the $10 corkage fee, at least we did. Although that was not the case in the specialty restaurant)

We did take bungee cords for the door, and a magnet (for the air conditioning) as suggested elsewhere and never used them.

Port comments:

Manzanillo- we did find the pharmacy next door the ice cream store, with 64oz bottles of beer for $3 – including two glasses and lime; with white patio chairs in front under umbrellas. It’s across the street from the main plaza and directly across from the gigantic blue marlin. If you take a cab, the plaza is where they will drop you off. You only need to walk about 100 feet to the intersection where it’s located, look for the blue marlin (fish). And in the heat and humidity, it tasted great!

Acapulco-

We took a guided tour with a driver we found on the pier. We told him want we wanted to see, then he added a few other local sites as well.

ACA ”port authority" (Roberto) does exist and we spoke with him briefly.

But we found that you can negotiate with the inside drivers. We were a party of 5, and got a better deal than the one posted.

We had gone outside the gate and got swarmed by the drivers there, but wanted to get an idea as to what they were charging. We decided to go back inside and see what they would offer. We found a very good individual named Antonio Rodriguez Espinoza. A good driver, guide, and a person of good character. We told him we wanted to buy a volcanic mortar and pedestal for making guacamole, and he took us to the local’s market (someplace you would not want to go alone) and took use directly to a vendor who had them; then negotiated a great price (based on U.S. costs, and even paid her with peso’s (which we reimbursed him for in US dollars)

The cliff divers are a must, Antonio (or other guides, I assume) will show where the best spots are for pictures.

Also went to El Zorrito for lunch, and had a great lunch, with “fresh” flour tortillas…one of my favorites.

Zihuatanejo-

My favorite stop. We did the only ship excursion here; the swim with the dolphins. It was an experience you would not be able to get in the U. S.

The bus operator did rush us to get on the bus afterward, and we not able to purchase some pictures that the staff had taken. We were upset about that.

Afterwards we spent a little time in the small tourist area. We were looking for tequila and stopped at Casa Tequila. (Beware, there is another “Tequila Casa “right next to the beach, but it is an imposter). The real one is a couple block inland, but a short distance.

Having looked and priced for tequila at the other ports, we had found that you can’t get tequila sold in the States any cheaper than at home, so we focused on the tequilas that were not sold in the States. Casa Tequila does offer tasting.

For lunch we found a great little restaurant called El Sanika Grill, around 22 Ejido Street . Located a block or so from the tourist area, the food was great and the staff was friendly, unfortunately, no fresh home mad tortillas.

From Casa Tequila, continue to walk away from the beach to Ejido Street (2nd street). Turn right, walk about a block to the El Sanika Grill on the left (next to Los Braseros Restaurant Bar).

Thank you for that info! What did you do in Manzanillo besides sit around and drink beer??

I have been there before but spent the day at some beach we wern't that thrilled about. Looking for suggestions. Thanks

Thank you for that info! What did you do in Manzanillo besides sit around and drink beer??

I have been there before but spent the day at some beach we wern't that thrilled about. Looking for suggestions. Thanks

We did the tourista thing and walked through the shopping area. Didn't buy anything thou. It was very warm, 87, and lots of humidity.

h2odad:

We're planning to do the same as you did in Acapulco - hire a driver at the port based on Roberto's suggestion.

Questions - did Antonio the driver stay with you while you watched the Cliff Divers and while you ate lunch, i.e., parked outside waiting for you to get done and continue on your tour? How was his English language skills?

We have a plan to perhaps drab a drink at Senor Frogs or even dinner in the city in addition to the Cliff Divers, and want to be sure our "ride home" is going to be there when we emerge from the bar or restaurant.

Thanks.

Did you enjoy the swim with the dolphins in Ixtapa?

Best excursion ever. You spend about 45 minutes in the water with them. The first 10 minutes you just float (with life jackets on) in the water as a group and the dolphins are sent out to swim around and through the group. This relaxes everyone and allows everyone to feel comfortable touching the dophins. Then you react one on one with the dolhins. I don't want to spoil it by tell you all the details, but it's quite an experience!

h2odad:

We're planning to do the same as you did in Acapulco - hire a driver at the port based on Roberto's suggestion.

Questions - did Antonio the driver stay with you while you watched the Cliff Divers and while you ate lunch, i.e., parked outside waiting for you to get done and continue on your tour? How was his English language skills?

We have a plan to perhaps drab a drink at Senor Frogs or even dinner in the city in addition to the Cliff Divers, and want to be sure our "ride home" is going to be there when we emerge from the bar or restaurant.

Thanks.

Antonio stayed with use the whole time, as I'd guess any of the 'guides' would do. When we ate lunch, and when we went to Sr. Frogs, he stayed in the car, thro we thought before going to lunch he might eat with use, but he perfered not to and stayed with the car. At the points of interest, he was right by our side, and when we went into the local market, he basically took us by the hand....

He was very professional, courtious, and respectfull.

Antonio stayed with use the whole time, as I'd guess any of the 'guides' would do. When we ate lunch, and when we went to Sr. Frogs, he stayed in the car, thro we thought before going to lunch he might eat with use, but he perfered not to and stayed with the car. At the points of interest, he was right by our side, and when we went into the local market, he basically took us by the hand....

He was very professional, courtious, and respectfull.

Thanks h2odad - this really seals the deal for us. We'll even see if Antonio is available when we dock.

We leave in about 4 days on the Spirit. Antonio Rodriguez Espinoza was your guide. We will be a party of 8. Could he accomodate a party this large do you think? How was his English (we don't speak Spanish)?

What did he charge?

Appreciate the info you've already supplied and thank you for a reply.

We leave in about 4 days on the Spirit. Antonio Rodriguez Espinoza was your guide. We will be a party of 8. Could he accomodate a party this large do you think? How was his English (we don't speak Spanish)?

What did he charge?

Appreciate the info you've already supplied and thank you for a reply.

His English was excellent. We were in an explorer I think, and it sat 6 (we were 5 plus Antonio) very spaciously; I'm not sure how nine (including the driver) would be. Might be tight!

We paid him $30 each ($150)for 6 hours, plus a tip.

Archived