?'s @ decorating home away from home

cruisemeister8

In regards to decorating your stateroom, plenty has been said about the door. I know it's metal and to use magnets, etc... But what about the rest of the room?

I know you can order the ship's pkg of decorations, and you'll get a few streamers or fans or whatnots. But what if you want more than that? What if you want to hang some more of your own streamers, or fans, or cutouts? What if you want to hang some of those cardboard/crepe paper fan balls to blow in the breeze on the balcony? What if you want to hang some garland or something on the railing? What if, say for instance, you were to kinda sorta go overboard when you went shopping at the party store?

My main question - HOW do you hang all this stuff? Tacks? Scotch Tape? The duct tape that I can figure no other earthly reason to lug along on vacation?

What are the cabin walls made out of? Steel? Wallboard? Is there wallpaper? What is the ceiling of the balcony made out of? (I assume steel from the floor above.) How about the side dividers of the balcony?

I need to know about the materials that will be encountered so I can plan to decorate appropriately. Thanks.

I would think for inside decorations, that sticky tacky blue stuff would work. It comes off pretty clean on nearly every surface. I bought some from Walmart in the stationary aisle (about $1.49 for a pack).

Not sure about the balcony decorations.

• 2 months later...

Our first cruice was for our 25th anniversary. I decided to take a few "tropical" decorations for our room to surprise my husband. It made our room so cute we have taken the same decorations, with a few new ones, on very cruise. I use duct tape to attach a line of shiny tropial fish and to hang things from the balcony door. Some items are free standing. :)

Try those 3-M wall hangers. You can get them with velcro now and they work on all surfaces. They leave no marks when you remove. Local Walmart has them. The hooks are great for all purpose hangers including a robe or a towel if you wanted to.

I ALWAYS bring a few strands of rope lights to decorate the railings of the balcony and windows! It's awesome when you come back to the ship from being in port and can spot your room that easily as the one all lit up.... I use masking or duct tape to secure them. Don't forget extension cords and a power strip or 2. Most common staterooms only have 1 or 2 elect. outlets!

BTW, the duct tape they say to pack, for cruises, is mainly to secure creaking cabinet doors at night that might disturb your sleep. ;)

Tina & Ryan

Sarasota FL

Regal Empress 1999

Carnival Triumph 2000

Regal Empress 2001 Fantasy Fest Cruise

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 2002

Carnival Imagination 2003

RCCL Radiance of the Seas 12/12/04

15 days and counting!!!

Archived