Friends of Bill W?

SJackson

I did a few searches on this site because as I was looking back through some of my Daily Compass from January on Voyager I kept seeing this guy. Who is he? Was it a personal thing or is it something sponcered by the ship?:confused:

If you get something for free can I bee Bill W's friend?!:D

Wow thanks for the replys!

I NEVER would have known that, but I think that if you are actually in AA you would. I'm sure it has come up in other meetings before.

It is nice to see that they have something like that on there. Really cool of them. :)

Friend of Bill is sort of a code for the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

There are no dues or fees for AA membership. (Unless of course you count the possible loss of family, job, property, drivers liscense, self-respect, lawyers fees, yours or someone elses life, etc., etc., etc.)

Personally, i think it is pretty awesome that folks in recovery get reinvolved in life and can go anywhere alcohol is served with in comfort and safety

When you think about it, you NEVER read posts here about Bill's Friends being loud, obnoxious and having a negative impact on their fellow passengers. Only those who MIGHT POSSIBLY have a need to become acquainted with the Fellowship.

HAPPY CRUISING!!!!

I remember wondering too who Bill W was. Several months ago there was a similar thread and I was thrilled to come upon it. My brother, who is cruising for his first time w/us next March, is a recovering alcoholic and I know he was worried. He's been absolutely dry for almost three years now and I must admit, I worried about him being on the cruise too (as the entire group (family) do tend to tip a tad). When I read the thread and found out who Bill W was, I couldn't wait to tell my brother. I honestly think he's relieved that there will be support while he's on board. He's very active in AA and I will tell the world right now, I AM SO PROUD OF HIM!! And yes, I've told him personally many times.

Cathy

I'm really impressed that RCI provides this. Cruising must be quite a challenge for those in recovery with servers walking around offering alcohol all over.

Actually RCCL really only provides the room (and perhaps coffee and cookies). The members make the meeting. No one from RCCL is in attendance unless they are in recovery. As for the person who was worried that people who needed a meeting wouldn't find it--since it was listed as friends of Bill W., remember it is Alcoholics Anonymous--so it is always low key. I doubt if anyone would suddenly decide in the middle of a cruise to get "sober" in AA for the first time. As a side note--you might even hear at a airport sometime--"will a friend of Bill W. please come to the house phone". Sometimes a person who is travelling in a foreign areea needs to connect. The airports have been willing to provide that service too.

The common follow-up question is, "What is Friends of Dorothy?" In case anyone was wondering about this, too, it's an onboard meeting for gays and lesbians. I don't think these meeting are quite as ubiquitous as the Friends of Bill W., but I have run across them on several cruises.

My husband attends the Friends of Bill meetings while we cruise. It does include ship staff too. It is suppose to be low key which is why it is not called an AA meeting..

He enjoys them, as a cruise is promoted to be a huge drinking party. Keeps him in line!!!

I thought the same thing on the first couple of cruises that I took......I was thinking, "who is Bill W. and how can I become his friend?" I said, "I want to have a gathering like that some day on a cruise ship.....friends of Kim G.!"

Then, one of my girlfriends told me it was for Bill Wilson, (founder of AA). (I think Wilson is the correct last name....there was just recently a made-for-TV movie about his life and how he founded AA...very interesting).

I think it is a great thing to have on a cruise ship...especially with all of the people partying around the ship...must be hard on a alcoholic in recovery.

Archived