Waimea Canyon driving time

ucsbgirl

Just wondering...

What is the approx. driving time from LIhue to Waimea Canyon? We are renting a car, would like to drive to see the canyon, then stop at Lawai beach (or someplace else on the south side) for snorkling and lunch. THen-back to drop off the car about 3-is this realistic? Any advice would be helpful!

When would you be starting the trip?

Do you plan to drive all the way to the end or just stop at the first overlook?

It's about 90 minutes from Lihue to the first canyon overlook. There are several other developed lookouts on the way to Kalalau Valley? I don't think you could drive out to the end and go snorkeling and make it back to Lihue by 3pm.

We were there in July and, first thing in the morning, it was about a one hour drive all the way to the top of the canyon. I suggest that you go early and drive all the way to the top first. Avoid the temptation to stop an the "scenic views" on your way up. This was a tip that we got on Cruise Critic and it was very wise. You get to the top in the best weather (sometimes weather sets in as the day progesses) and ahead of the tour buses and crowds. Then, stop at the other "views" on your way down.

I also recommend stopping in at Jo-Jo's in the little town of Waimea at the bottom of the canyon for a shave-ice. It's a Hawaiian treat that you need to have at least once!!!

We were there in July and, first thing in the morning, it was about a one hour drive all the way to the top of the canyon. I suggest that you go early and drive all the way to the top first. Avoid the temptation to stop an the "scenic views" on your way up. This was a tip that we got on Cruise Critic and it was very wise. You get to the top in the best weather (sometimes weather sets in as the day progesses) and ahead of the tour buses and crowds. Then, stop at the other "views" on your way down.

I also recommend stopping in at Jo-Jo's in the little town of Waimea at the bottom of the canyon for a shave-ice. It's a Hawaiian treat that you need to have at least once!!!

Thanks...we will give the shave-ice a try...I have also heard about the Hula pie at Dukes.

Archived