Nice info about Odyssey

Seabourn-nail

For reasons of avoiding travel agent business I won't mention the source of the information below, but it is an interesting letter I received. I think I left everything out, that could point in a certain direction.

"On June 24, 2009, the all-new, six-star Seabourn Odyssey will embark on her inaugural voyage from Venice, Italy.

The date is meaningful not only for Seabourn but for the entire luxury segment of the cruise industry. On that day, it will have been six years since the launch of the last six-star ship--the Crystal Serenity--and it will have been 17 years since the last Seabourn ship was launched.

Seabourn is one of only four six-star cruise lines, along with Crystal, Regent (formerly Radisson) and Silversea. As a group, these lines offer the finest food, service and accommodations at sea, comparable to the very best hotels and restaurants.

All four of these cruise lines were formed in the late 80's and early 90's, and the sudden proliferation of extremely high-end ships resulted in more supply than demand. It took years for the expanding cruise market to produce enough passengers to make these ships profitable, but they are thriving now as demand for intimate ships, interesting worldwide itineraries and exceptional service and cuisine has reached an all-time high.

Six-star cruise lines are reporting record occupancy levels and enjoying their best years ever--even at starting rates ranging from $400-$1,000 per person, per day--and the latest buzz among these lines is about expansion.

Seabourn was the first six-star cruise line to announce plans to add to their fleet when they finalized their order for two ships, scheduled to debut in 2009 and 2010, with Italian shipbuilder T. Marrioti. Silversea followed with an announcement that they also plan to build a new ship, due in late 2009, with an option to add another new ship to their order.

I would not be surprised to see additional orders in the coming year, especially if early bookings of the new ships of Seabourn and Silversea are strong. Judging by the initial response to the Seabourn Odyssey, they will be.

Months ago, past passengers of Seabourn began placing deposits to ensure they'd have a spot on the Seabourn Odyssey during its inaugural season--without knowing the price or even the location of the ship!

With this week's release of itineraries and prices, it's likely that Seabourn's past passengers, as well as alumni from the other six-star lines and new customers seeking the finest that cruising has to offer, will scramble to reserve space on this ship.

Weighing in at 32,000 tons, the Seabourn Odyssey will be three times larger than the other ships in Seabourn's fleet, but will carry just over twice as many passengers, ensuring one of the highest space-per-passenger ratios at sea.

The ship will have 225 suites, ranging in size from 277 to more than 1300 square feet, and 90% of the suites will feature full-size balconies. All accommodations boast a roomy, granite bathroom with a separate tub and shower and twin sinks.

Public spaces include four dining venues, offering options from casual, grilled food to gourmet tasting menus; six bars and lounges, where complimentary fine wines and spirits flow freely; and the spa, which features a thelassotherapy whirlpool, Finnish saunas, aromatic steam rooms, a gym and an aerobics area.

The vessel will also offer several favorites from Seabourn's current fleet, including The Marina, a fold-down teak platform from which passengers can enjoy water sports like kayaking and windsurfing, and the Sky Bar, which overlooks the Poolside Patio.

During its inaugural season, the Seabourn Odyssey will offer a series of 7- to 14-night cruises in the Mediterranean, Greek Isles and Black Sea before repositioning to Fort Lauderdale in October 2009 to embark on several Caribbean voyages. Then, on January 5, 2010, the Seabourn Odyssey will set sail on its first full World Cruise, visiting destinations in Central America, Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia, Asia and the Middle East.

Also of interest to fans of Seabourn, the line's three existing ships--Seabourn Pride, Seabourn Spirit and Seabourn Legend-are undergoing multi-million-dollar renovations prior to the Odyssey's debut. Improvements will include an overhaul of two of the ships' open-air dining venues to allow for more seating and more evening entertainment options, enhancements to the Sky Bar area, new bedding, new carpets in many public areas, new furniture in the Internet centers and card rooms and updated spa treatment rooms. The Seabourn Pride's renovations have already been completed. The Seabourn Spirit will undergo renovations in January, and the Seabourn Legend will be renovated in April."

I realize that there is probably not much that all of you didn't know yet, but still it is a good summary.

Interesting info, Seabourn Nail. I wonder if you, or others here, have received your promotional brochure yet on the new ship. As a product (the brochure), I was quite underwhelmed - just didn't feel it was doing a good job of promoting the new ship. Didn't even have a decent photo of the new staterooms, for heaven sake.

Nice to see you have another cruise on your agenda!

No big changes, just different linens; bedspreads and pillows. Not much else. I don't think the picture in the brochure (typo on the other post!) looks much different from what we have now, other than some newer furniture. There is only so much to do with furnishings in a standard suite. IMHO.

You may want to consider that consistency of product across all the Seabourn ships is something most will expect. To have the Odyssey as "Odd You See" because nothing is similar to the other ships wouldn't make sense for past guests or marketing. Therefore it is no surprise that they look similar.

As for good photos...think about it: The ship isn't built yet, so it is not a photo. It is a computer generated image of what it will look like; possibly with the help of a mock-up.

And I like the color scheme.

Yes, more info is needed and I am sure as things develop it will be coming.

Interesting info, Seabourn Nail. I wonder if you, or others here, have received your promotional brochure yet on the new ship. As a product (the brochure), I was quite underwhelmed - just didn't feel it was doing a good job of promoting the new ship. Didn't even have a decent photo of the new staterooms, for heaven sake.

Nice to see you have another cruise on your agenda!

they can`t photo what does`nt exist yet. I found the brochure unstimulating if there is such a word. More information about cruises and grand voyage savings would be appropriate and less photos of people I have never seen on Seabourn staring at each other or holding hands and they all look hetrosexual. I mean.;)

More information about cruises and grand voyage savings would be appropriate and less photos of people I have never seen on Seabourn staring at each other or holding hands and they all look hetrosexual. I mean.;)

It's interesting you bring up the photography, I actually find it quite fascinating! :D I'm fairly certain these poses are to evoke emotion rather than show the reality of what is actually seen on the ship. I doubt they'd sell many cruises if they had photos on the actual cruisers. :rolleyes:

It's interesting you bring up the photography, I actually find it quite fascinating! :D I'm fairly certain these poses are to evoke emotion rather than show the reality of what is actually seen on the ship. I doubt they'd sell many cruises if they had photos on the actual cruisers. :rolleyes:

I`m not that good but available. THEY are awful, horrible people. Like from NYC or West Coast:eek:

It is very difficult to make a brochure of what doesn't exist, and which is till be developed. (Interior design - the stuff most of the past passengers are only interested in - is still not finalized, though more than the basics are done.)

So there is a tension between providing limited (but good) information, or providing more (but possibly incorrect because of ongoing changes/development) information, or providing no information at all.

As I study in contrast, Azamara has now been around for many months and brochures are just now coming out. Even though I am supposed to be hosting a group on Azamara in March, it has been pretty difficult to market it when all that exists is a limited website.

It may not be perfect (I, for one, would have liked to have seen more detail and a layout of the suites categories), it would be pretty difficult if not impossible to make it all that everyone would want without falling into the "smoke and mirrors" and "sorry we changed that" situation.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently returned from Pride's Colonial America Sailing, which was after the refit in drydock. The changes to the Skybar and the Veranda are wonderful. Expanded both areas, with much more and comfortable seating areas. My only complaint was with the new tables at the Skybar, already warped from being in the sea air, after only 4 weeks at sea. I hope they have a guarantee/return policy. Also, the new carpets in the public areas, although quite beautiful, are not very practical. Very light gold, and already showing signs of grime and dirt. The new linens in the state rooms are very attractive. Other than these "cosmetic" changes, I believe that the operational changes were most important, especially for us who would like to see the sisters live on well into the future. I have never had a problem with the amenties of the ship, I think that operational updates, although not very recognizable by the guests, are of upmost importance. We all want a smooth sailing, well operating cruise, afterall.

Archived