Cruising 6 weeks after ankle surgery?

My Mom, Sister and I have planned a girls cruise for end of Jan on Echantment of the Seas. I just decided to have surgery on my ankle in mid-December. My orthopedic says I will be okay to go on cruise then, but will not be doing any extensive walking. I will either still be in boot, or just out of one. We are booked in JS on deck 8, so I will just have one deck to go up to plant myself by the pool, and a few decks down to dining room.

I am sure someone out there has been through similar any tips?

OhioCruiseMom

My sister did this on our 14 day Alaska cruise. She started the week out in the boot and just took it slow, it was fine. By the end of the cruise she was able to walk without the boot. Bring some little ziplock bags to make ice packs if needed.

Be sure to bring lots of ziplock bags and ask your cabin attendant on the first day to bring extra ice every evening. Even if it's feeling good by then, odds are it will swell. Ice, IBProphen, and extra pillows to keep it elevated when you're not using it. I had recently had wrist surgery prior to my last cruise. My cabin attendant was so funny - Every night he would literally fill the plastic laundry bag full to the top with ice and leave it in the sink for me. (I probably only needed about 2% of that) It helped a lot. Good luck.

Wow, you are braver than I am!!

If you are going for total relaxation and don't have to fly, should be peaceful. If you will have to do the whole security thing and deal with steps on a commuter flight, I'd rethink this. Can you postpone surgery or is it too important?

I agree with this statement. My son (21 y/o)had his ankle surgery on June 19th this summer and it took him about 8wks to be completely out of the boot.

Good luck!

I actually broke my foot on a RCCL crusie 8 years ago. The only problem that I had was to get into the pool. It was May and hot. I think that they have fixed that since. (It was the Monarch). If not, take a mister bottle. Otherwise, the ship itself no trouble. Just have to figured out which excursions you can do.

i cruised six weeks after surgery on my arm....i told the room steward the first day that i would need to ice it twice a day....he kept us well stocked with ice! the only problem i had was going down the couple of steps in the tender when a helpful crew member grabbed my arm to steady me on the stairs (ouch!)...but otherwise no problems.

my daughter wore a boot to alaska but found by the end of the trip her ankle was better...she was lucky, not even any swelling!

good luck, enjoy your trip...

Beverly

I can't believe I'm reading this....as I am 7 weeks out of ankle surgery. I broke my fibula and tore my deltoid ligament playing tennis. I am now out of the boot 3 days.

And I'm contemplating how I'm going to be on our cruise, which is over Christmas!

You are courageous to try to go sooner. But have a great trip!

Virginia

My ankle was in a hard cast for four weeks and then a softer ararngement for two weeks. I cruised soon after, but discovered I had lost a lot of stamina, endurance and flexibility from being immobilzed. Of course, I am 64, so maybe recovery is much slower at my age.

This is the best advice I can offer--take things easy. Don't try to overdo. You may not be ablke to do all you want. It is better to err in favor of resting and letting some strenous activities go if you have doubts your ankle is ready. Be careful about situations in which you would have to stand for a prolonged amount of time.

Take care and be in good shape to cruise another time. What happned to me--well, I ended up back in a cast on the same ankle five months later! But as I said, I am much older. Young fols spring back so much quicker.

Have a great cruise.

Good luck if you do this. I had foot surgery over a year ago and it still hurts to walk on it. I am now having acupuncture to help the pain since the orthopedist can't find the reason for the pain. That soon after surgery be careful. You can reinjure your ankle very easily.

Use elevator instead of stairs for trips in Dining Room. If foot starts to swell put pillows under it for sleep. I would borrow a wheelchair from a friend just in case for shore ex (or bring a set of cruches).

I had surgery on both feet (not ankles) in June. The surgery went great and so did the physical therapy. Then I started having stress fractures, first on one foot then the other. I'm positive this happened, inpart, because I was so determined to not be a "wuss" and use the stairs at times. So please, ,don't be "brave" and take the stairs. Always use the elevators and go slowly. Have a great cruise.

My Mom, Sister and I have planned a girls cruise for end of Jan on Echantment of the Seas. I just decided to have surgery on my ankle in mid-December. My orthopedic says I will be okay to go on cruise then, but will not be doing any extensive walking. I will either still be in boot, or just out of one. We are booked in JS on deck 8, so I will just have one deck to go up to plant myself by the pool, and a few decks down to dining room.

OhioCruiseMom

What better place to recouperate? You'll have people bringing you drinks, making your bed, cooking your meals...what could be better?

One tip - bring plenty of books or magazines to read & enjoy being pampered. ;)

OhioCruiseMom

I had ankle surgery the end of June and went on a cruise the beginning of Sept. I was still in my boot & that helped. I also took my cane and was glad I did. Not sure if you are flying or not, but IF you are, use the wheelchair. I used the wheelchair in disembarking the ship and that was a huge help. I also sat aside during the muster drill as standing for a long time was difficult. Before the drill, I made sure that I could go down in the elevator to the drill & not have to use the stairs. Good stiff drinks help alot, too!!!!!

Good luck.

As others said--TAKE IT SLOW

My thought would be "expect the best and plan for the worst:

You can rent a wheelchair from a medical supply company near your home and take it with you to use if and when you need it. Some even fold up nice and small. They are usually pretty reasonably priced too.

If you do not take a wheelchair, and if you will be flying to the port, you might do well to arrange with the airlines to get their assistance with transport. They are wonderful about getting a wheelchair or motorized cart and getting you through the airport. That way you do not use up all your energy just getting to your cruise! I remember that after my knee surgeries I would tire easily and begin to ache...and that would be no way to start a vacation.

Have a great time.

I have chronically bad ankles, and can't walk limitlessly. I think you'll be fine, as long as you set your mind on a relaxing vacation, rather than an adventurous one. Personally, I'd use it as an excuse to skip ports altogether and enjoy the ship.

One thing helped me was planning. I had a lightweight tote which I would "pack" before leaving the cabin for breakfast. I tried to anticipate anything I might need during the day -- book, sunblock, swimsuit & towel. This minimized schlepping back and forth to my cabin. And I just spend alot of time in lounge chairs with my feet up, reading, dozing, cajoling my travelmates to bring me drinks, etc. It was a very relaxing cruise.

I say go for it! And be nice and lazy! :)

As a nurse and someone who went on a cruise 6 wks after an Achilles injury, I would reccommend that you take your boot with you even if you are out of it. I had just been out of the boot for about a week. I wore it to the ship because of the walking I'd be doing thru the airport etc ( I travel solo also). I was able to leave it off until the 12th day of my 16 day cruise. I over did the walking in Aruba and immediately went in the boot when I got back to the ship and stayed in it the rest of the cruise. With the added support I was able to continue doing things. Also be sure to take pain medication with you in case you need it. You will probably still be in PT - be sure to do your exercise program while on the cruise. Your dr and physical therapist should be able to give you some good direction on activities to avoid just be before you leave.

My thought would be "expect the best and plan for the worst:

You can rent a wheelchair from a medical supply company near your home and take it with you to use if and when you need it. Some even fold up nice and small. They are usually pretty reasonably priced too.

If you do not take a wheelchair, and if you will be flying to the port, you might do well to arrange with the airlines to get their assistance with transport. They are wonderful about getting a wheelchair or motorized cart and getting you through the airport. That way you do not use up all your energy just getting to your cruise! I remember that after my knee surgeries I would tire easily and begin to ache...and that would be no way to start a vacation.

Have a great time.

I did not rent a wheelchair, but would have been nice to have had. I DID ask for & got the ship's wheelchair on disembarkation--by the & it was only a 4 dayer, I was very slow and worn out.

I have chronically bad ankles, and can't walk limitlessly. I think you'll be fine, as long as you set your mind on a relaxing vacation, rather than an adventurous one. Personally, I'd use it as an excuse to skip ports altogether and enjoy the ship.

One thing helped me was planning. I had a lightweight tote which I would "pack" before leaving the cabin for breakfast. I tried to anticipate anything I might need during the day -- book, sunblock, swimsuit & towel. This minimized schlepping back and forth to my cabin. And I just spend alot of time in lounge chairs with my feet up, reading, dozing, cajoling my travelmates to bring me drinks, etc. It was a very relaxing cruise.

I say go for it! And be nice and lazy! :)

great plan

As a nurse and someone who went on a cruise 6 wks after an Achilles injury, I would reccommend that you take your boot with you even if you are out of it. I had just been out of the boot for about a week. I wore it to the ship because of the walking I'd be doing thru the airport etc ( I travel solo also). I was able to leave it off until the 12th day of my 16 day cruise. I over did the walking in Aruba and immediately went in the boot when I got back to the ship and stayed in it the rest of the cruise. With the added support I was able to continue doing things. Also be sure to take pain medication with you in case you need it. You will probably still be in PT - be sure to do your exercise program while on the cruise. Your dr and physical therapist should be able to give you some good direction on activities to avoid just be before you leave.

I did my therapy in the gym. I did get fussed at a bit because I had my shoe & boot off on the bike. when I explained why, they had me put my shoe on and leave the boot off--NO BAREFOOT I was told ;)

When I go on my next--a 15 day TA, my doc told me to take my boot & I will have been out of it over 2 months. just in case!!!

I had extensive ankle surgery in February 2006, was in a hard cast for two weeks, followed by a boot for four weeks, followed by a walking cast for four weeks. I started physical therapy three times a week in mid-April. My next cruise was in November 2006. I generally had no problems getting around the ship, but had failed to consider how my ankle would react to anything beyond calm seas. By the time the cruise was over, I was in some pain, although nothing that a few Advil couldn't help.

I would recommend that if you go on the cruise, you limit your movement if the ship is rocking and rolling. That can put a lot of stress on that joint. Otherwise, relax and have a good time.

Make sure you get wheel chair assistance when you board

If you can bring a wheel chair or rent a chair manual or motorized (35 dollars a day) Please do not risk it...I know from first hand experience...it is difficult to get around when you are disabled...so give yourself plenty of time to baby yourself...did you get a disabled cabin...the doors are wide enough on the regular cabin to accommodate a wheel chair or a regular size scooter...they are only 27 inches wide.

You guys sure have offered a lot of information, some of which I hadn't even thought of. I hadn't though of renting a wheelchair, much less a disabled cabin. I guess I thought that there might be someone who is "truly" disabled and I surely wouldn't want to take a cabin away from them. The airport stuff should be interesting. I will be flying in by myself and arriving about 6 hrs earlier than my Mom and Sister (they are coming in from Texas) Hadn't really thought that thru! At least I am on a non-stop from Cleveland to FLL!

Keep the great ideas coming!

Anyone going to be on with us? Just look for me limping around!!!!:)

OhioCruiseMom

I had extensive ankle surgery in February 2006, was in a hard cast for two weeks, followed by a boot for four weeks, followed by a walking cast for four weeks. I started physical therapy three times a week in mid-April. My next cruise was in November 2006. I generally had no problems getting around the ship, but had failed to consider how my ankle would react to anything beyond calm seas. By the time the cruise was over, I was in some pain, although nothing that a few Advil couldn't help.

I would recommend that if you go on the cruise, you limit your movement if the ship is rocking and rolling. That can put a lot of stress on that joint. Otherwise, relax and have a good time.

actually my doc had told me if it was "rough seas" to not go on the top deck.

You guys sure have offered a lot of information, some of which I hadn't even thought of. I hadn't though of renting a wheelchair, much less a disabled cabin. I guess I thought that there might be someone who is "truly" disabled and I surely wouldn't want to take a cabin away from them. The airport stuff should be interesting. I will be flying in by myself and arriving about 6 hrs earlier than my Mom and Sister (they are coming in from Texas) Hadn't really thought that thru! At least I am on a non-stop from Cleveland to FLL!

Keep the great ideas coming!

Anyone going to be on with us? Just look for me limping around!!!!:)

OhioCruiseMom

DEFINATELY let the airline know and use the wheelchair assist through the airports. In Cleveland, check in and use it and then they will have one waiting for you in FLL. you don't want to be tired before you get there & walking thru airports on all that concrete is MURDER.

Archived