Most Price-Effective Way to Call Home from Jewel Baltics Cruise

petesweet

One of our party has a very old mother who gets anxious when she is away (even though she is cared for by another relative). I don't know all the terminology with computers and special hookups for laptops, etc., but can someone explain (gently and in elementary language, please!!) the best way to handle daily phone calls on our Baltics cruise? Thanks.

My mobile carrier is AT&T. They can add a temporary international calling feature to your cell phone which will make it much cheaper to call from ports. You will also be able to call from the ship, but it will be more expensive. If you are with a different carrier, call them to see if they have a similar option.

Please tell us which phone carrier you have (cell phone that is).

As the above poster mentioned, there are some "reasonable"options while at sea. $2.50 per minute with most carriers using your own cell phone. Texting is way less. By the way, the Intl calling plan does not discount while using the ships towers.

On the Gem I followed some crew off the ship and they all made for the nearest public phone to call home. There are always public phones at port.

I asked a couple of the staff later and they confirmed the main reason for getting off the ship in port was to call home cheaply. A prepaid AT&T card would probably do it.

John and Joan

We have Verizon cell phone service. Just last month we were on the Navigator of the Seas in the Canary Islands. We used our cell phone right from our cabin and had no problems plus the rates were good - about $2.50 per minute.

Please tell us which phone carrier you have (cell phone that is).

As the above poster mentioned, there are some "reasonable"options while at sea. $2.50 per minute with most carriers using your own cell phone. Texting is way less. By the way, the Intl calling plan does not discount while using the ships towers.

My friend has a Verizon phone.

On the Gem I followed some crew off the ship and they all made for the nearest public phone to call home. There are always public phones at port.

I asked a couple of the staff later and they confirmed the main reason for getting off the ship in port was to call home cheaply. A prepaid AT&T card would probably do it.

John and Joan

Was this in the Caribbean? We'll be in Europe. Don't know if that makes a difference. I'm making a note of all these suggestions. Thanks everybody. Feel free to keep them coming. We'll find the best solution, I'm sure, with your help.

Archived