Where to go?

chrisbd1

TOH (The other half) and I are trying to decide where our next cruise will be. We've narrowed it down to:

Alaska

Southern Carribbean

Canada/New England

Bermuda.

The time of year isn't an issue, as we have vacation time saved up for all but the Panama Canal trip (granted that's not one we're interested in). The time of year isn't a big factor, as long as it's a trip after March of next year?

What do y'all think?

Pretty difficult to answer not knowing anything about you. Different people would list those choices in different orders. Since we have done all of those, I would easily put Alaska at the top, and do the end of May, early June dates.

The scenery is wonderful. Go over to the REVIEWS section and read about folks that have taken that trip. We did it twice.

Bermuda is nice, but pretty much a one stop pony - meaning not lots of variety. Just did New England and that was great as well. Again, different strokes for different folks.

Based on your note, seems you do can cruise most anytime. I would avoid spring break times, and summer if you can. Better rates and less kids.

TOH (The other half) and I are trying to decide where our next cruise will be. We've narrowed it down to:

Alaska

Southern Carribbean

Canada/New England

Bermuda.

The time of year isn't an issue, as we have vacation time saved up for all but the Panama Canal trip (granted that's not one we're interested in). The time of year isn't a big factor, as long as it's a trip after March of next year?

What do y'all think?

I personally didnt like the Canada cruise at all. The waters were very rough going and coming back. I spoke to a few people about Canada and the waters are usually rough. Alaska I would do in August or so. Carribbean I feel you can never go wrong, its great! Bermuda is beautiful but I would go when you know the water is warm (if you like that sort of thing). All in all I would toss it between Carribbean and Alaska!

Plan on doing all of them and then you can choose your favorite and do a repeat!

But really it depends too what you like to do. If you like site seeing and excursions I would say Alaska and Canada. If you love the beach, relaxing and being in only one port for the week choose Bermuda.

We would not repeat Canada but have booked Bermuda for the 4th time.

Alaska

Southern Carribbean

Canada/New England

Bermuda.

What do y'all think?

Our 2003 Alaska cruise was our most favorite vacation of them all.

Bethany24

Those were our choices too! I absolutely love the Southern Caribbean, but have sailed there twice. We wanted to cruise to Bermuda, and are now booked for May. My parents wanted to try Canada/New England or Alaska, and we settled on Alaska due to the variety of wildlife, scenery, and the fact that we have never cruised there before.

We've been to Alaska @ 7 times (between May and September) and I have to agree with garycarla that "the earlier the better" for a great visit. Here's why - snow on the mountains, not as crowded AND the bugs haven't all hatched and started using me as their main buffet.

• Administrators

Alaska

Southern Carribbean

Canada/New England

Bermuda.

What do y'all think?

I agree with the question about "who are you?" Not your personal details/SSN, etc! :) But what kind of vacation, scenery, and excursions do you and your "other half" enjoy? The four options you list are HUGELY divergent. Check out the shore excursions offered for cruises to these four places -- you will quickly see why knowing what you like to do would have a big impact on the advice in this area. Also, is budget an issue? Alaska cruises are spendier than the others you list (normally), especially when airfare is added. The Southern Caribbean itineraries may offer a longer cruise and more sea days, depending on what you are looking for.

Thanks for all the replies. As for who we are, well just folks I guess. Granted I'm a bit of a tightwad, sometimes, I'd prefer to go somewhere when the rates are cheaper-off season, if you will. I want to see new things, we both do. Since there are no children in our household we are no tied to school vacation time, thank goodness.

When we went to the Med, it was shore excursions everyday and that did get kinda old but I also got to see places that I'd never seen, so it balanced out. We did excursions all but one day in the Carribbean and the one day of rest was great. We're spending more time on the ship than off this time, only because Samana isn't doing anything for me.

I think the choice is narrowing down between Alaska and Bermuda. When is it cheaper for either of them?

I am not sure if there are less expensive times in Alaska since the ships are not there permanently. Although I cruise the Caribbean all the time, my one cruise to Alaska was awesome. Splurge if you go and you will not regret it. Go on the tours. Where else can you king salmon fish, fly over and land on a glacier, photograph seals on iceburgs, witness mother nature and all her majestic, serene, and spiritualistic glory? Bermuda is famous for pink sand beaches and golf courses. Good luck with your choice!

Coka

It would seem that your inquiry has been answered. After another CC asking "who are you,?" it would seem that you are a warm loving mammal that would revel in the warmth of Bermuda or, not even listed, the Med again. Alaska sounds absolutely great,but I don't think you want to deal with a bunch of bugs...and I,for one, hate hot chocolate.

Guess who?

2-14-08 (15)

Don't get us wrong. It's just for later in our ives My neighbor just turned 89 on Hallowween; he loved it!

But you neighbor probably didn't get to snorkel or do the ziplines/rope bridges in Ketchican or whitewater raft or walk around on the glaciers.

Better get there before you finish with your 60's:D

Rates for Bermuda are cheapest in May, September in October.

We choose to go the first week of October and have been lucky with wonderful weather each trip. September is more prone to hurricanes and May is not quite warm enough for the beaches. We are booked in an outside cabin for next October for $675 pp. Can't beat it and couldnt even get two airfares to Bermuda for that.

Have fun choosing!!

I'm still in a tie between Bermuda and Alaska. There's a pretty decent price on a 6 day Vancouver to Seattle in April.

October for Bermuda seems to be a winner. Looks like I have my two cruises picked out for next year :)

If I could adequately describe the beauty of this area and the snow covered mountains in April, it would make your heart ache waiting to see it.

Have you dismissed NE/Canada entirely? We did it this past September and were very surprised how much we enjoyed it. The seas were not rough, perhaps we were lucky. The weather was awesome, not quite swimming weather, but great for touring. We were out of the loop for hurricanes and only 14 children on board. We would do it again. Good lluck with your choice and let us know.

excusions are very expensive in alaska. there are things to do by yourself..but to get out to the real views are or even wildlife..you need the tours. for the best wildlife viewing...if doing a round-trip...go in late july to early sept (bear/salmon season). before i decided, i would do my research on the websites for the ports...check out what i want to do. alaska is one place that it buys to research EVERYTHING.

in april many things will not be available in alaska. the snow will be on the mountaintops...but emerald lake (above skagway and a popular place to see) will not be emerald, but will be white. mendenhall glacier, outside of juneau...the lake didn't melt until after june 1st. no boats got close to sawyer glacier (tracy arms) until well after the 1st of june.

even the experts, on the alaska boards : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

it's waaaay too early. the skagway train doesn't start running until may 15th, they don't start renting cars (to drive the highway to emerald lake) until mid-may. just giving you things to think about. the one local, who lives in yukon, says they couldn't pay him to go that early.

Have you dismissed NE/Canada entirely? We did it this past September and were very surprised how much we enjoyed it. The seas were not rough, perhaps we were lucky. The weather was awesome, not quite swimming weather, but great for touring. We were out of the loop for hurricanes and only 14 children on board. We would do it again. Good lluck with your choice and let us know.

No, we have not ruled it out entirely. Thank you for your review. Someone else posted that September was a great time to go as well. Do you mind telling me what your favorite port was? What things did you do on shore? Was the foliage changing? I've never been to that part of the country, or Canada, before. My father always said that was one of his favorite vacations, though he did it by car. Any info would be appreciated!

I personally would do Alaska again....We did it im Sept and was on the ship with Toyz711 above. The sites there are awesome. the glaciers awesome. we couldnt afford to do the helicopter ride, but, you do get within a half mile of the glaciers while on the ship, experience 'calving' of the glaciers. its just the beauty of the state...its NIGHT an DAY between the caribbean...

Alaska is cool, quite cold on glacier day, it can be rainy, as it was while we were in port...but thats the way alaska IS... i has its own beauty. we have been to the caribbean many times, but we live 2 hrs from any port also. Alaska is a bit more pricey, but if you can pull it off, GO to alaska. you may never get there again for one reason or another... alaska is just beautiful...

go before sept to see the wildlife. and it will be warmer too. the caribbean is always warm, sunny, beachy. Id do alaska again in a hearbeat if i didnt have to pay for flights. we will go again tho...

Archived