Pisa Maritime Excavation

Does anyone have any info on the excavation of the ships, etc that is going on near Pisa? I understand from a Newsweek article that it has the potential to be as big as Pompei but that the excavation won't be completed until around 2015. Supposedly there is somewhere near there where you can pay an admission fee and see the excavation site. I'd love to know exactly where to go from the Leaning Tower and Field of Miracles area.

Does anyone have any info on the excavation of the ships, etc that is going on near Pisa? I understand from a Newsweek article that it has the potential to be as big as Pompei but that the excavation won't be completed until around 2015. Supposedly there is somewhere near there where you can pay an admission fee and see the excavation site. I'd love to know exactly where to go from the Leaning Tower and Field of Miracles area.

Having lived only a few miles south of Pisa, I thought that I might know where it was. Boy, was I wrong!

Here is another article that talks about it:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=51a_1193957314

Where is it. Well, that is a bit more difficult as the referenced train station (Pisa S Rossore) does not show on all maps. Actually quite near the Leaning Tower - just to the west about1 mile. On the north of the Tower, there is a street, via Contessa Matilde that goes east/west. Follow it west across Via Carlo Cammeo to where it becomes viale delle Cascine. After crossing one set of RR tracks you should find Stazione Pisa S. Rossore. Got you within a stones throw; from there you are on your own.

Actually, you might be able to combine a visit to the dig with a trip to Lucca. There are daily trains (I think they only run on weekdays) from that station to Lucca, so its possible to take the train from Livorno to Pisa (about 15 - 20 min) than take a taxi to the Leaning Tower, than walk over to S Rossore station, see the dig, take a train to Lucca, than you can take the train from Lucca back to Livorno (you have to change trains in Pisa at the main station). That might make a nice day.

Hank

• 6 months later...

Archived