Car Rental in Le Havre

wesp

We took a taxi to Hertz. It is way to far to walk. We had to wait a while to get a cab back to the ship from Hertz. We reserved a mid-size which turned out to be a very small Renault, 5-speed diesel. I hadn't checked my insurance prior to leaving on the cruise so I got full coverage with the rent car. The insurance doubled the cost.

We took a taxi to AutoEurope.com. It was much too far to walk. You must rent the car for a3 day minumum but the cost is minimal (they expect you'll only be using the car for the day). As I recall, for us and the couple who shared the cost and drive, it was about $60 each. If you return the car after hours, they tell you where to drop it off... be sure and ask before you leave. Also, I printed out directions from the AutoEurope address, to an address in Rouen, so we were armed with directions before we left. Still, it took us about 1/2 an hour to get out of Le Havre so be sure to ask for specific directions out of town and for your return to town. We visited Rouen, Honfleur and Deauville. We had a wonderful day. Left the rental place at 9 am and returned the car after hours and using another taxi to the ship, we were back aboard by 7 pm, tired but in time for open seating dinner.

Sandy

• 7 months later...

When I attempted to get a quote for a car rental for a single day from autoeurope.com in Le Havre, I was told no car was available. When I put in 3 days, a car became available for a total of $163 (economy car).

• 1 month later...

Lucy, we have driven in France, but not into Paris. We drove from a small town north of Barcelona (Perpignan) around to St. Tropez about a 400 kilometer journey and it was one of the easiest and most enjoyable drives that I have ever taken The speed limit was 130 kilometers per hour (about 80) and the road was very smooth. Now as far as the open road, it would be fine. We are thinking of renting a car in Le Havre when we go, but we would drive into the outskirts of Paris and do a one day Visite pass that will give you unlimited use of the rail, metro, and bus system and then just take the rail into Gare de Nord and then connect to the metro rather than run into Parisian traffic. Very doable. You could even drive to Versaille on the outskirts and take the RER right to the Musee d' Orsey and the Eiffel Tower.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived