Snorkeling from Beach??

timeforabreak

We will be in Cozumel in January with 11 and 13 yr old. daughters. Want time to play at the beach, so we were thinking Paradise Beach. I was hoping once we get there, they would decide they want to snorkle. (the cruise is a surprise, so we can't ask them). I have two questions: 1. Is shore snorkeling as good as reef snorkeling? 2. If we go to Paradise Beach, then decide to go on a boat snorkling tour, is that somewhere right close we can do that? I thought I read somewhere there is a watersports company that does that right next to Paradise Beach. We've only snorkeled once and loved it. The kids have never snorkeled. Any insight here would be appreciated.

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

timeforabreakView Public ProfileFind all posts by timeforabreakAdd timeforabreak to Your Buddy List

Sponsored Links

We will be in Cozumel in January with 11 and 13 yr old. daughters. Want time to play at the beach, so we were thinking Paradise Beach. I was hoping once we get there, they would decide they want to snorkle. (the cruise is a surprise, so we can't ask them). I have two questions: 1. Is shore snorkeling as good as reef snorkeling? 2. If we go to Paradise Beach, then decide to go on a boat snorkling tour, is that somewhere right close we can do that? I thought I read somewhere there is a watersports company that does that right next to Paradise Beach. We've only snorkeled once and loved it. The kids have never snorkeled. Any insight here would be appreciated.

I would let the young ladies try snorkeling from shore. Learning in water over their heads is not a good idea. They could try it at PB but to see anything interesting, you need to go to an ironshore area. PB is mostly sand with very little to see underwater.

If I wanted to see lots of fish, I would go to Chankanaab Park ($16 per adult) or take a taxi to Dzul Ha. There are plenty of fish to see at either place and you have shallow water where the girls can test their equipment out before trying deeper water.

I tried to learn at Chankanaab but couldn't do it because of the depth of the water. As soon as you go down the steps, the water is deep. I just thought that I was a chicken and couldn't snorkel.

The next day, we went to Dzul Ha (now The Money Bar) and I learned within a half an hour. Being able to touch bottom while I learned made all the difference.

I would let the young ladies try snorkeling from shore. Learning in water over their heads is not a good idea. They could try it at PB but to see anything interesting, you need to go to an ironshore area. PB is mostly sand with very little to see underwater.

If I wanted to see lots of fish, I would go to Chankanaab Park ($16 per adult) or take a taxi to Dzul Ha. There are plenty of fish to see at either place and you have shallow water where the girls can test their equipment out before trying deeper water.

I would also like to add Playa Uvas. They are great! You can either go out on the water by yourself or take one of their guided tours for an additional charge.

Archived