which airport

kodiak1

I here that there is several airports in the L.A. area which one would you use for the L.A. cruise's?

LAX.

LAX is not too far from the port (45 minutes on Sunday) and there are many alternate routes.

But most important, LAX will give you the most options in case the inevitable fouls-up occur.

LAX has more:

• airlines servicing it
  • flights
  • runways and they're longer (the down side of that is that if a plane has an emergency in SoCal, they'll try to divert it first to LAX, but how often does that happen?)
  • ground transportation

For Carnival Pride's Sunday sailing, traffic should not be a problem, but for Paradise you will have Monday or Friday traffic.

Long Beach is closer and you can reach the cruise terminal from it by bus, but your options are much fewer. Example: you book Delta. Your route is from your hometown to Salt Lake City. If that flight is too late to miss the SLC to LB flight, you're stuck cruising on the Great Salt Lake. (Unless of course you hop the next Delta flight from SLC to.......LAX.) The same applies to the other airlines.

So regardless of where the foul-up occurs, you have better chances of recovering from it if you fly to or from LAX.

I here that there is several airports in the L.A. area which one would you use for the L.A. cruise's?

Until a few years ago, my stompin' grounds were Southern California and this is my take on the airports...

LAX is close but is a nightmare airport if you will be renting a vehicle to drive to the port. If you are grabbing a taxi or shuttle, this is probably your best bet re: airports.

Long Beach is also very close, but I have never been there, and seems kind of limited re: airlines that fly in and out, but I could be wrong.

John Wayne Airport in Orange County if you are driving is pretty easy to get in and out of, a bit far from the port but the 5 freeway into LA is right there. Good shuttle service available.

The furthest away from the port, but by far the least headache of them all if you will be doing the driving to the port is Ontario Airport. Piece of cake re: getting your luggage, driving to and from, etc. Is located in the city of Ontario in San Bernardino County and the 10 and 60 freeways to Los Angeles are right there.

Have a wonderful cruise... :p

:cool:

We just cruised the Pride. Flew from the Midwest to LAX. Much better fares than LGB. We rented a car--I had not driven in LA since I was 16 y.o.--more than 40 years ago. I had no trouble. Had never lost on the rental and had no problems.

It is an easy drive to the port if you are going straight there. We however went to Hollywood and around but still fairly easy.

I live in So Calif and I will avoid LAX at all costs. But if it is your cheapest I can't argue with that.

But I would look into Long Beach or John Wayne. You can also try Burbank. Ontario is the best IMO but too far out.

I got you on avoiding LAX at all costs. One of the last times I was there years ago I almost got run over while walking on the SIDEWALK outside one of the terminals by a drunk driver who missed me but nailed a bunch of suitcases and then sent one guy flying... Fortunately the victim "only" ended up with a busted arm or something... :eek: all that before getting to, much less leaving the parking lot confirmed my attitude of "only if I really have to" about LAX!

:cool:

has extremely high crime. Get to the 5 freeway ASAP.

Do you even have a vague idea what you're writing?

I got you on avoiding LAX at all costs. One of the last times I was there years ago I almost got run over while walking on the SIDEWALK outside one of the terminals by a drunk driver who missed me but nailed a bunch of suitcases and then sent one guy flying... Fortunately the victim "only" ended up with a busted arm or something... all that before getting to, much less leaving the parking lot confirmed my attitude of "only if I really have to" about LAX

Yeah, I guess that's the absolutely best reason I've seen for choosing or not choosing an airport.

As far as driving from John Wayne, (SNA) don't take the 5 freeway - take the 405 - once you get off the freeway it's not far. If you take the 5 you will go out of your way and have to take the 605 to get to the port. Long Beach, you are really close to the port and practically at the freeway anyway. But other posters are correct, you will probably get better prices going to LAX or SNA.

As far as driving from John Wayne, (SNA) don't take the 5 freeway - take the 405 - once you get off the freeway it's not far. If you take the 5 you will go out of your way and have to take the 605 to get to the port. Long Beach, you are really close to the port and practically at the freeway anyway. But other posters are correct, you will probably get better prices going to LAX or SNA.

OOOooops! :eek: Forgot it is the 405 not the 5. At least I had one number correct! :p

Twenty-seven days until the Valor, but hey, who's counting...?:cool:

Archived