What does "DH" stand for?

FMCowboy

It must be so simple that it's not hitting me. I see "DH" referenced here a lot. It is a person, I garnered that much.

I know stupid question, but I figured instead of scratching my head, I'd just ask, quicker.

thx

DH = Dear Husband

DW= Dear Wife

DS = Dear Son

DD = Dear Daughter

...;)

It must be so simple that it's not hitting me. I see "DH" referenced here a lot. It is a person, I garnered that much.

I know stupid question, but I figured instead of scratching my head, I'd just ask, quicker.

thx

DH = Dear Husband or D*** Husband - depending on the topic... insert a W and you've got wife, S=son, etc...

O I C :D

I could not figure out the "D". Not sure why "Dear" is a poplular term that needs to be abbreviated, but at least I know what DH is. Why not just, "H". ANyway, thanks

The D serves several very useful purposes.

First, if we just used W or H or D - well, no one would know if it were an abbreviation or if we had just suddenly decided to play Wheel of Fortune and were choosing a letter.... :D

Secondly, if we use the DH, it reminds us that we are married to them for a reason..... ;)

And lastly, it is very convenient to have one letter that can convey any range of feelings we may be having about said spouse, child, etc. on any given day. :p

Okay...First, I always thought it was DW="Darling Wife", but that DH was "Dumb Husband"...

...and sometimes it all gets really confusing...

We get to MIL=Mother in Law and FIL=Father-in-Law...BUT...would your SIL be your son-in-law or your sister-in-law???

DH??? It's a baseball term...it means "Designated Hitter"...it's a danged American League antitraditionlist thing...

Why all the acronyms? :confused:

This is the only place I see these acronyms, though this is the only "family" oriented forum I go to, so that's not saying much.

You must not do much IM'ing or text messaging. The kids are all acronym experts. :D :D :D We are just trying to keep up with them. ;)

Your BFF,

TW

You must not do much IM'ing or text messaging. The kids are all acronym experts. :D :D :D We are just trying to keep up with them. ;)

Your BFF,

TW

Oh trust me I know most acronyms, I just haven't see DHs ahd DWs, I guess it's because most of my friends aren't even married yet. :)

In case you are bored :p

###

ASAP = As soon as possible

ATM = At The Moment

AYT = Are you there?

BBL = Be Back Later

BF = Boy Friend

BIL = Brother in Law

BL = Belly laughing!

BRB = Be Right Back

BTW = By The Way

C&A = Crown and Anchor Society

CL = Concierge Lounge

DD = Dearest Daughter, Darling Daughter, etc

DF= Dear Fiance

DH = Dear Hubby (Or Husband) , Darling Hubby, Darn Hubby, Dumb Hubby, etc

DIKU = Do I know you?

DS = Dearest Son, Darling Son, etc

F2F = Face to face

FAO = For attention of

FAQ = Frequently asked question

FIL = Father in Law

FWIW = For what it’s worth

FYI = For Your Information

GF = Girl Friend

GMTA = Great Minds Think Alike

IM = Instant message

IMCO = In my considered opinion

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

IRL = In real life

ISO = In search of

JK = Just Kidding

LOL = Laughing Out Loud or Lots of Laughs

MIL = Mother in Law

OIC = Oh, I see!

OMG = Oh My Gosh!

OP + Original poster

OT = Off Topic

OTOH = On the other hand

PITA = Pain in the “acronym” (Use this if a board friend has gotten a little heavy handed with acronyms)

PITA = Pain In the A$$

POV = Point of View

PTMM = Please tell me more

ROFL or ROTFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing

ROFLMAO = Rolling on the Floor Laughing My A$$ Off

SIL = Sister in Law

SO = Significant Other

SU = Spousal Unit

TG = Thank Goodness

TGIF = Thank Goodness It's Friday!

TIA = Thanks in Advance

TMI = Too Much Information

TTYL = Talk To You Later

WB = Welcome Back

YMMV = Your miles may vary

Call me crazy, but this particular acronym is a pet peeve of mine. I always write out "husband", "daughter", etc. It just looks and sounds so much nicer.

I agree, I'm all for acronyms, but these darling stuff sounds way too cheesy for me. :D

So do I. I think it's just lazy not to.

Guilty as charged! :D I think way too fast for my fingers. Plus I am a terrible speller (I am a math and science person all the way).

So anything that takes care of all of the afore mentioned in one easy "DH" I am all for. :o ;) TGFA (thank goodness for acronyms)

TETO (To each their own), but "dear" this and "darling" that, I have to agree is Way Too Cheesy. (W2C) And I find Madam's post Hilarious and not the least bit offensive. All in good fun. (AIGF) :)

I just made those up, you like my new acronyms? ;)

I like TETO (pronounced Teeeeto)

PS: I have been chatting online before there was "online" Anyone remember BBS' ?

FM

PS: If you know what BBS stands for, then you are Old School too.

TETO (To each their own), but "dear" this and "darling" that, I have to agree is Way Too Cheesy. (W2C) And I find Madam's post Hilarious and not the least bit offensive. All in good fun. (AIGF) :)

I just made those up, you like my new acronyms? ;)

I like TETO (pronounced Teeeeto)

PS: I have been chatting online before there was "online" Anyone remember BBS' ?

FM

PS: If you know what BBS stands for, then you are Old School too.

Bulletin board system, and I'm not even old school, used to chat on those things a lot when I was in middle school. :D

I agree with the detractors and and just hate to read a post that is full of DW this, DH that, SIL and FIL went to blah blah blah. The reason you use shorthand when texting on a cell phone is because the damn keyboard is small. The reason you did it on a BBS is because your modem was maybe a 1200bps or if lucky, a 2400bps and it took forever to do anything. The only reason you would do it here is because you are lazy. Either too lazy to type or too lazy to learn to type. If you cannot make an intellegent sentence without having to use shorthand, it's exactly that - not an intellegent sentence. I would much rather see spelling mistakes than DH, DW, SIL, DIL crap.

O I C :D

I could not figure out the "D". Not sure why "Dear" is a poplular term that needs to be abbreviated, but at least I know what DH is. Why not just, "H". ANyway, thanks

I thought they represented cabin levels. I prefer to write out members of my family: wife, daughter, etc.:rolleyes:

For the OP, I too wondered what all this "D" stuff was when I first came to this board. Then I read a post which explained it all. I hated these short form acronyms at first but as time went on, I got used to them and now I don't give them a second thought. Turns out we are trainable after all. :)

Archived