Wilderness Bear Watch

Amy G

Search is timing out right now, and after looking at a few pages of posts, I found nothing... So, has anyone been on one of the Bear sightseeing tours through the cruiselines (I will be on the Dawn Princess). It is worth the cost? When did you go and did you see many bears?

Thanks!

We saw six bear and 2 cubs (eating salmon) at a river on our Ketchican cruise ship excursion. The mama bear chased her 2 cubs up a tree to keep them safe while she fished!! We took a float plane to Neets Bay and walked to the viewing platform (near a fish hatchery). Was awesome and very close to the river. We were there the first week of September.

Enjoy your trip.

Ditto Sailaway but we were there a week earlier and didn't get the cubs! Neets Bay was really good as you are so close to the action. There's a viewing platform and at one point I was shooting video from there and a black bear wandered out of the trees just 5 or 6 yards to my right! We had a great cruise but this is the one big memory of the cruise.

How was the flight?

The flight on the float plane was a real highlight. It was another awesome experience - taking off and landing on the water. We think those bush pilots are the best in the world!!! My DH still talks about this adventure.

Was it scary at all or make you sick?

It was not scary. It was like an exciting ride at Disneyland! We had headphones so we could listen to the pilot. The plane held about 8 people. We did not get sick. It was a thrill. We would love to do it again. Hope you have a great time.

Archived