Attire question

skyview851

This is a serious question, I am not trying to stir up another "dress code" debate, but I would appreciate opinions of my fellow cruisers. We are crusing with our 2 sons, age 14 & 16 in Feb. Both have made it very clear that they ARE wearing tuxes on formal nights, so that's taken care of. My question is in regards to the other nights. My DH usually wears sportcoat & tie, but what about the boys? Would it be offensive if they wore only a dress shirt & tie, or do they need the sportcoat? Call me a cheap-o, but at the rate they grow, a sportcoat that fits in Dec may not fit in Feb, and I am tired of buying jackets that get worn once or twice. I certainly don't want to offend, but more importantly, I don't want my kids hearing snide remarks behind their backs because of the way they are dressed. This is their first cruise & I want them to enjoy the experience, not feel self-concious. Thanks for your advice.

Skyview,

It's nice to see you care about this! Do your sons want to wear a sportcoat on semi-formal evenings? If they do, maybe check out some thrift or outlet stores for other economical options. Now is a good time of year to pick up lightweight summer blazers on clearance.

Otherwise, the shirt-tie combo should be fine, maybe one of those nice darker toned, mono-chromatic looks the young people are wearing these days? Several of the teens at church wear such outfits: black pants with satin-look shirt and matching tie.

Have a wonderful trip, all of you!!

Excuse me if I trip over myself on the way to shake your hand. I was ready to throw in the towel (or tie) today, convinced the only people who actually cared about formal nights were us old f*&^s and now I read your sons WANT to dress up, how nice.

I think a pair of slacks and a shirt and tie would be great......:D :D

Could you guys sit at our table?

Jeez - your raising those kids beautifully!

Little kids quickly outgrow little jackets and what-not! My girls love the dress up; my son does fine in a white shirt and tie, dress pants. My son likes the vest and suit stuff but it's "$impractical" and contrived much of the time.

I'm sure the non-formal folk can find much here to "rationalize" 'cause after all we're not all ADULTS!

Thanks for all the positive comments. There are days when I don't think I am raising them right...but I guess that goes with the territory. Yes, they both want to wear tuxes on formal nites...but they also want to wear jeans hanging off their butts to school...Mom says yes to tuxes & no to the jeans. Ya can't win!

Archived