Galaxy: Question

TEXASMUNK

New to Celebrity:

Here are a few questions..primarily based on confusing answers in various threads.

#1. Is the a cigar bar?

#2. Is the live music by the pool during the days at sea?

#3. Do Most (not I did not say ALL) adhere to the recommended dress code?

#4. What is the staff to passenger ratio?

#5. Does Celebrity do the "cool towel" upon returning from Caribbean ports?

#6. average age of 11 day cruises?

thanks

Jim,

I have taken over 25 cruises with Celebrity, the latest in February on the Zenith. I will try to answer your questions. (see below)

#1. Is the a cigar bar?

The Michael's Club bars have been converted away from being a Cigar Bars to being a Piano bars, however, they have set aside an area (usually in the aft top deck area) for cigar lovers to enjoy their smokes.

#2. Is the live music by the pool during the days at sea?

There is live music usually at sail away's and at certain set times when at sea. The morning is usually pretty quiet till about 11a, and then the music continues till around 4 or 4:30 with breaks in between.

#3. Do Most (not I did not say ALL) adhere to the recommended dress code?

Most people adhere to the dress code

#4. What is the staff to passenger ratio?

This one I do not know. I'm thinking 1 staff to 2 passengers. Anyone else out there know the statistic?

#5. Does Celebrity do the "cool towel" upon returning from Caribbean ports?

YES! They sometimes do it only during prime "return" hours, when most people are heading back from shore excursions. They have a staff member with a tray with little hand towels rolled up. The towels are actually frozen initially, so you might actually have bits of ice left on the towel. I just love this...

#6. average age of 11 day cruises?

I would say 40's. But that is my sge group so I have a tendancy to think everyone is my age...

I totally agree w/ all answers, except the one about crew/pass. ratio...I dont know that either, but service was very good. We were on Galaxy in Jan. You will love her!!! Going on our 5th Celeb. cruise in Jan. on another of our favs, Mercury!!!

Jim,

The actual age is about 2.1 passengers to 1 crew member. Using that ration, we tried to claim one crew member to ourselves for the whole crew. Imagine that, he kept walking off. Bad crew member. Ha Ha.

The average age is actually in the mid 50's. Being at the low end of the age bracket , I notice a lot more people in thier 40s, 50s and 60s than anything else.

You guys are great!

Always enjoy buying one havana cigar and smoking it before getting back to the USA.

If you were comparing the food on RCL to Celebrity is it:

About the same

A cut above

A step down

(We are big RCL fans)

Another food question:

Although HAL service is impeccible, we found the food to be a bit bland, how does Celebrity rate when compared to HAL?

Thanks, and thanks and thanks for your replies!

Jim,

You will be happy to know, you have nothing to worry about. Celebrity food is better than RCL.

When comparing Celebrity to the other cruise lines, we lets put it this way. Read the news clipping below.

Celebrity Cruises Sweeps Latest 'Conde Nast Traveler' Survey

Premium Cruise Line Sails Away with Seven of Top 10 Spots,

Including Number One

MIAMI, Jan. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- While some of the world's finest actors celebrate their Golden Globe awards and Oscar nods, another type of celebrity -- Celebrity Cruises -- is being honored for having the world's greatest ships.

Seven Celebrity ships -- every ship in the fleet that falls into the large-ship category -- ranked in the top 10 in "Conde Nast Traveler's" annual "Best Cruise Ships in the World" survey, results of which are published in the February 2004 edition. The aptly named Constellation is the star of the show, honored with the number-one spot and the highest overall score yet (89.1) for a large ship.

Summit ranked second overall, but first in the category of service. Century ranked fourth, and was the top pick in the food category. And Infinity, Mercury and Galaxy ranked fifth through seventh, respectively (the balance of Celebrity's fleet -- the 1,354-guest Horizon and Zenith -- were among those honored in the medium-ship category).

Celebrity Cruises is no stranger to sweeping the "Conde Nast Traveler" poll: Five of the top 10 ships in the large-ship category last year were Celebrity vessels.

In this year's poll, more than 32,000 discerning "Conde Nast Traveler" subscribers evaluated ships on five criteria: itineraries, crew/service, cabins/design, food/dining, and activities/excursions.

"We've made a great investment in transforming the Celebrity brand, so it's extremely gratifying to see that our enhancements are being recognized and increasingly acknowledged by noteworthy consumer polls like 'Conde Nast Traveler's,'" said Celebrity Cruises President and COO Jack Williams. "We are grateful for this honor. It is validation of what we are trying to do, and motivation to keep us on course."

I picked up that edition of the magazine and here's what I found Celebrity had 7 of the to 9 spots for large ships and rated the two medium ships in the top 15.

In November, a press release from RCL acknowleded that Celebrity ranked 3rd in a poll regarding the Best Cruise Line. The only two above them we Luxury cruise lines, meaning they were the Number 1 rank mass market cruise line.

The numbers are polls that are taken of Conde Nast Traveler readers. Not paid reporters, but people like you and me.

I have sailed on Galaxy twice and New Years will be my third time. I know you will have a great time.

Archived