Temperature of the Ship Pools

mhg7274

we were on the Zuiderdam in March '06. The children were only allowed in the pool that had thecovering (they were not supposed to go on the pool at the aft of the ship). The water was FREEZING. They hardly swam at all the whole trip and I don't get in either because it was sooo cold. Is this normal to keep the pool so cold and to not allow children in the 2nd pool? We are going on the Westerdam on Dec 2nd, and I am praying that the pool won't be as cold this time.

On most ships the aft pool is designated adults only. After all we deserve some place where the " little darlings" aren't . And yes, I found the pools very cold last week on the Ryndam. The aft pool was colder than the main pool.

I agree too that the adults should be able to have a pool for themselves, but HAL should also warm up the pool that is designed for families and kids so that they are encouraged to use that pool instead. I never brough my kids to the aft pool since I respected the "rules", but so many parents brought kids to that pool, often leaving them alone (bigger kids in particular)-but it was March Break when we went so I am sure that there were more kids than normal there at the time. I love swimming with my kids, but when it "hurts" to get in that cold, cold water it's terrible.

Are HAL's pools fresh or salt water?

Thanks

Fresh - either desalinated sea water or water purchased in ports where it is available cheaper than the salinization process would cost ... as in Alaska, for example.

Sailed twice in the Caribbean in Dec from Florida. Both pools were cold when we sailed and then warmed up as went further south. By the end of the cruise both were wonderful until we were a day out of Fl and then they cooled off again.

Temperature, like most aspects of cruising is subjective. The coldest day in the Caribbean is usually warmer than Long Island Sound on it's best day. ;)

The pool in the Lido is covered by a dome. It gets plenty warm in there, and the water's fine. But then my children are used to swimming in the lakes fed by snow runoff here in the Pacific Northwest, and in the Pacific ocean off the Oregon and Washington coasts:). To them, and to me, HAL's Lido pool temperature is just fine. The aft pool is exposed to the open air, which gets a trifle brisk on the way to Alaska:) . I guess it all depends on what water temps you're used to?

I'm just back from the Volendam. I went in the lido pool twice. The first time it was cool enough to take about 3 seconds to get used to. On our second time in the pool, it was almost as warm as the whirlpool. That turned me off to going in the pool again. I assume it got hot from the sun, although the weather was only in the high 80s.

We were told the aft pool was salt water and colder.

I just got off 26 days on a Westerdam transtlantic. They post the two pool temperatures each day on the Ships Log on the TV. My wife swims everyday at home. The water was a chilly 71.6 degrees. Several passengers asked to have it raised to no avail. So my wife swam only once.

Archived