Snorkel Labadee

DTMandM

and met a very rude individual from our Freedom cruise with a great party at Labadee. We went to snorkel at the beath next to the dragon which was filled with loungers & towels. We do not use vests or fins, find them useless since we both swim & love to dive to explore. As we are checking things out below the waterline my hair is pulled & I stand up & a guy yelling that I have no vest so I cannot snorkel, He did the same to my husband & another couple. Amazing folks swimming without a vest but we cannot snorkel? You cannot dive in a vest. So we just floated in the warm waters watching the show in the sky.

Does anyone know if you can snorkel on you own in Labadee? Can you get equipment on ship? and what beach would you go to?

They do offer equipment on Labadee, but I really don't recommend it. When I was last there, I snorkeled for about 3 hours and didn't see a single fish. I was told later that the waters in the area are overfished.

Same comment I got at Labadee, very poor country and overfished. Only tried snorkeling once years ago, nothing to see to speak of, so I just enjoy the island and the other activities they offer.

Dave

Snorkeled with my own gear in Sept w/no vest.There's not too much to see. If you're gonig on the western cruise save your money and go "ziplining" in Jamacia instead. You only get one "run" in Labadee,however the "zipline/canopy tour" in Ocho Rios has 9 runs with 2 vertical drops. Afterwards you walk through a botanical garden then a quick stop to look at photos/video of the experience

We snorkeled in Labadee with our own snorkel and masks. We also got booted out of the water by the crew. They told us we must have vests. So we had to go get vests too. I think we had to pay for them. But maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway, the waters had very little fish or corral. I would snorkel on a different stop.

You cannot dive in a vest.

Actually you can if you have a snorkeling vest. Just let out all the air. They don't care as long as you have a vest of some kind around your neck. But snorkeling in Labadee was really bad for us, too. Saw NO fish. Coco Cay is much better.

We have snorkeled with our own gear and nobody has every bothered us about vest. We have been there about 3 times...and always see something.

One time it was pretty good...you have to go along the rocks and swim quite far....One time it was very warm and crowded and too many jelly fish. It certainly is not the best place to snorkel.

...there is a thread in the ports sections (private islands) on Labadee.

There is a "newer" excursion that takes you to a sand bar near some coral which the poster said was very nice... so there at least that option.

Wearing a vest? Is this a flotation vest or a visibility vest?

The vest is more for visability but they are flotation vests. If you don't fill them with any air you can dive. We have our own vest which are nice if you are getting tired and want to just float for a short period of time and then let the air out and dive.

If you really love to snorkel Labadee is not the place to do it. There real is not much to see. I guess if you are use to the midwest lakes and don't see many fish it is a positive experience, but if you are use to seeing live coral, schools of colorful fish, eels, rays, and larger fish such as barracuda and sharks this is not the place to snorkel.

Archived