Transatlantic Cruise

Greetings All!

I am planning a transatlantic cruise.

I was wondering...

What the sea conditions tend to be like in the Atlantic Ocean?

Is it is better to go the northern or southern route?

Which cruise line/ship is better for TA?

Thank You,

Danielle

There are two main times when there are TA's in the spring for east bounds and the fall for west bounds. When do you want to go? I am on the West bound Jewel TA next Sept 8th. We are going to Paris, Cork and Dublin Ireland, Cornwall, Wales and then Nova Scotia and ending in Boston, it is more of northern route.

The Atlantic can be wild or smooth as glass all depends on what storms are around. Southern I would say are smoother (warm waters) unless a hurricane is around. In other words no way to tell.

I can't wait for mine and you might want to check it out and join us!!!

I am planning both an East and West-bound. I want to go to Europe but I fear flying

Then planning on staying for a while. Most are months apart. Have a drink a couple of tylenol pm's and sleep for the way across.

Hey Sue.....you are going to St John's, Newfoundland....not Nova Scotia. I'll be aboard with you.

OP, I have had rough water on both the northern and southern tracks, but no more on one than the other......for the most part, we have been lucky and had smooth seas the majority of the time.

Hey Sue.....you are going to St John's, Newfoundland....not Nova Scotia. I'll be aboard with you.

I guess it is a good thing I am not driving;) I know it is Newfoundland, but Nova Scotia for some reason just keeps popping in my head.

Greetings All!

I was wondering...

Thank You,

Danielle

We've done four transatlantic's in the past two years. I would recommend doing a Southern route since you're more likely to encounter terrible weather and rough seas on the Northern route. I doubt that we'll do another Northern route anytime in the future. Which cruise line? Royal of course!!

We've been on two September westbound TransAtlantic cruises... one from England to Boston, the other from England to New York City; so I guess they would be considered northern routes.

The first one we were on we were hitting the remnants of Hurricane Gustov and had very rough seas for about 3 or 4 days. There were times they wouldn't even let us out on the deck.

The second one the following year the ocean was basically smooth as glass and the days were bright and sunny. As a previous poster mentioned, no way to tell.

Tim

Greetings All!

I was wondering...

Thank You,

Danielle

Unfortunately the sea conditions that you encounter will depend on the situation that exists at the time you cruise. You can't really predict this far out. We have done three TAs, all northern routes, and have had a few days of rough seas on two of the three. One was when we were skirting the effects of Hurricane Gustave which was well to the south of us. Had we been sailing on a southern route at the time we might have had as bad or worse weather because of the hurricane.:rolleyes: It is pretty much a crapshoot. While we had high winds and seas for a couple of days on our last TA, we also had beautiful weather in our ports of call, so I guess it was a bit of a tradeoff. I must admit that my wife and I are not especially prone to seasickness which gives us an advantage, but we have no qualms about sailing next year on the Jewel of the Seas from Harwich to Boston.:)

There are two main times when there are TA's in the spring for east bounds and the fall for west bounds. When do you want to go? I am on the West bound Jewel TA next Sept 8th. We are going to Paris, Cork and Dublin Ireland, Cornwall, Wales and then Nova Scotia and ending in Boston, it is more of northern route.

The Atlantic can be wild or smooth as glass all depends on what storms are around. Southern I would say are smoother (warm waters) unless a hurricane is around. In other words no way to tell.

I can't wait for mine and you might want to check it out and join us!!!

Sue L - I booked that same cruise during the WOW sale for DW and I and DB and SIL. Is there a Roll Call established fro this yet?

Count us in,s too ~ Bill and I booked this same repositioning cruise back in August (Jewel of the Sea ~ Harwich ~ Boston). We have just returned from New England/Canadian/Radiance cruise, where we experienced one day of 7 to 12-ft seas. I spent the day horizontal in the bed but otherwise was fine! But, this one experience has given us cause to be concerned with the TA in Sept'08. Hopefully my sense of adventure will win out and we can all meet in the centrum. We have cruised the Baltics aboard the Jewel and it is still our favorite ship.

Becky:o

Sue L - I booked that same cruise during the WOW sale for DW and I and DB and SIL. Is there a Roll Call established fro this yet?
there is an extremely active roll call. if I knew how to link it, I would

Count us in,s too ~ Bill and I booked this same repositioning cruise back in August (Jewel of the Sea ~ Harwich ~ Boston). We have just returned from New England/Canadian/Radiance cruise, where we experienced one day of 7 to 12-ft seas. I spent the day horizontal in the bed but otherwise was fine! But, this one experience has given us cause to be concerned with the TA in Sept'08. Hopefully my sense of adventure will win out and we can all meet in the centrum. We have cruised the Baltics aboard the Jewel and it is still our favorite ship.

welcome to both of you.

we also have a web site--I think it is in my signature. WE are called the JEWELS OF THE ATLANTIC

As Crazy 4 Cruising said we have a fantastic roll call. Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=535768&page=149

We also have a website. Here is the link

http://www.freewebs.com/jewelsoftheatlantic/index.htm

We are up to 3500+ posts and yes it is VERY active. We have a transfer so see the thread for that.

As Crazy 4 Cruising said we have a fantastic roll call. Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=535768&page=149

We also have a website. Here is the link

http://www.freewebs.com/jewelsoftheatlantic/index.htm

We are up to 3500+ posts and yes it is VERY active. We have a transfer so see the thread for that.

thanks Sue, teach me how to link, please.

thanks Sue, teach me how to link, please.

The way I do it is to bring up the page, like the Jewels website copy the url and then paste it where you want to put it. There are probably fancier ways but it works for me.

The way I do it is to bring up the page, like the Jewels website copy the url and then paste it where you want to put it. There are probably fancier ways but it works for me.

ok, let's see if I can do that

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=12277921

edit--that's easy!!!!! thanks Sue

North or South ? that depends are what you enjoy doing, You wont spend much time at the outside pool on most northern routes. the cooler weather coupled with the 20 knot wind makes for a chilly afternoon. Cruise line: see below.

That's what makes the Jewel so wonderfully appropriate for a crossing. The Solarium with its pool and hot tubs and retractable roof allows you to swim and relax poolside in a climate controlled atmosphere. Unless high seas cause them to drain the pools, you won't be affected by the outside temperature or the winds.:)

Archived