Just Sailed on Holiday

Writer_at_Work

I just returned this morning from a 4-day cruise to Cozumel aboard the Holiday. Many thanks to all of you who have posted general information about Carnival and specific info about the Holiday on these boards. Reading through all this information helped make my first cruise an enjoyable one. Now I'm ready to try a bigger ship and a longer trip.

I was expecting much more from a screen name "Writer at Work". :-). Thought I was going to get a full blown review. Glad you had a great time and I agree these boards really encourage first timers to enjoy it all.

:D My wife and I just returned from the October 22nd cruise on the holiday. This was our 45th cruise and we really enjoyed it. We are planning our 46th cruise to somewhere. We're hooked on cruising and so will you be. Happy cruising and many of them.:) :) :)

I just returned this morning from a 4-day cruise to Cozumel aboard the Holiday. Many thanks to all of you who have posted general information about Carnival and specific info about the Holiday on these boards. Reading through all this information helped make my first cruise an enjoyable one. Now I'm ready to try a bigger ship and a longer trip.

Well how was it??

Well how was it??

It was very relaxing. No cell phone, no email, no interruptions. I was with my sister and we made our own schedule. Lots of doing absolutely nothing. We met a couple of nice women and spent a whole afternoon talking with them. Met a few other folks we enjoyed chatting with as well. You can learn a lot from seasoned travelers and we took advantage of their knowledge and recommendations.

The food was quite good, especially since I didn't have to buy it, cook it or clean up the mess afterward. Love that Warm Chocolate Melting Cake! Our waiter was a delight and a perfect gentleman. He got a nice additional tip from us. Our cabin steward kept our cabin clean and we always had a full ice bucket and clean towels. We're pretty neat so he probably appreciated not walking into a cabin that looked like the aftermath of a tornado. He got a little extra as well.

The cabin was roomy enough for the two of us with plenty of storage space. We'd both traveled with one 21" suitcase and a small tote bag so we could carry our own stuff on board and not have to wait for it. I had a second tote bag with my purchases coming off and we were able to do self-assist debarkation.

The seas were calm (I'd heard the cruise prior to ours was a bit rough due to TS Noel) and the journey was uneventful. We skipped the shopping talk and instead shopped at the stores I'd seen recommended on here. I was just looking for souvenirs, not fine jewelry, so Los Cinco Soles served me well. I did pick up a couple pareos at a side street shop because they were cheaper. And I found some nice bracelet/necklace sets at Silver Emporium at a very reasonable price.

Neither of us drink or gamble so Carnival made little off us aside from the cost of our cruise. I did spend about $90 in the gift shop but that was it. I took my own photos instead of buying theirs. Yeah, I'm a cheap date.:D

The Holiday could use some serious updating, but it's my understanding from a Carnival crew member who was at our dinner table the first night that they're trying to sell the ship. So why update something you're going to sell, especially since the buyer would probably turn it into a cargo ship. I wasn't impressed by the entertainment and the social directors got on my nerves -- just waaaaaaay too perky and over the top. Everything -- entertainment, activities, talks -- was ultimately a sales pitch and that annoyed me. I thought I'd signed up for a cruise, not for a timeshare presentation. After reading the Carnival site and these boards, I had no surprises on my Sail & Sign card. I knew the drinks weren't free (except at the Captain's Welcome party). I frequented the Wharf Bar and Grill for tea, lemonade and apple juice and had plenty to drink. I also appreciated that soft serve ice cream machine. I could get a little something sweet when I wanted.

The Carnival website says parking was $50 for 4 days; when I got there it was $60. I've complained to Carnival. I don't mind paying; just be up front with me. Embarkation went smoothly. They seem to have the process down to a fine art. The only problems I saw were with passengers who apparently never read their materials and didn't have their forms filled out. Customs coming back through was a whiz but I was only declaring about $200 with no alcohol or tobacco. Again, the only problems I saw were the folks who said "What Customs form?" Duh! It was slid under your door. Try reading it!

I'll sail again but probably try a different cruise line and different destination. This was a trial run for us -- short and cheap. Now that we know we like sailing, we'll go for something longer and nicer. And I definitely will ask for a cabin that's not right by the thrusters. Caramba! The noise started at 2:00 A.M. on the trip back into Mobile.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, we have been on Holiday 2 times and plan on going the last week of February 2008 for a last cruise before the replacemrnt of Holiday. We really enjoy the Holiday Class but will be ready for any Fantasy Clas that may show up in Mobile.... :D :D

Oh I felt it. But after talking with someone who'd been on the Holiday and sailed from Cozumel to Tampa after Hurricane Katrina had gone thru the Gulf, I decided it was pretty calm by comparison. I did my share of staggering down the hallway, but I slept pretty well -- like a babe rocked to sleep in a cradle. :D

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, we have been on Holiday 2 times and plan on going the last week of February 2008 for a last cruise before the replacemrnt of Holiday. We really enjoy the Holiday Class but will be ready for any Fantasy Clas that may show up in Mobile.... :D :D

You and I both....

What is so funny is that they have no problems "retiring" these cruise ships to other cruise lines in places like Australia and Spain and you have to wonder....do these folks just not have the same expectations as us or what????

...do these folks just not have the same expectations as us or what????

In short, no. America is the land of big, big, big. My first (and only other) cruise was in 1980 aboard a Greek ship. I was living in Germany at the time. We sailed from Piraeus to several Greek islands and then on to Egypt and Israel. The cruise ship held 500 passengers. It seemed big to me and I was thrilled to be there. However, other Americans who came over from the US were very disappointed. This was the era of "The Love Boat" on television and that's what they expected.

I've had friends from Australia visit and they're amazed and also appalled by the amount of food served on a plate in restaurants. They're also appalled by the amount thrown away. American's don't seem to think twice about getting a huge steak that's 3-4 times what they should be eating and either over-eating or letting the extra go to waste (and to waist).

So I'm not surprised that most Americans think a 1400-passenger ship is small and other countries are perfectly satisfied with it.

It's not a matter of one being right and the other wrong; it's just a different culture, lifestyle and ultimately a different expectation.

It was very relaxing. No cell phone, no email, no interruptions. I was with my sister and we made our own schedule. Lots of doing absolutely nothing. We met a couple of nice women and spent a whole afternoon talking with them. Met a few other folks we enjoyed chatting with as well. You can learn a lot from seasoned travelers and we took advantage of their knowledge and recommendations.

The food was quite good, especially since I didn't have to buy it, cook it or clean up the mess afterward. Love that Warm Chocolate Melting Cake! Our waiter was a delight and a perfect gentleman. He got a nice additional tip from us. Our cabin steward kept our cabin clean and we always had a full ice bucket and clean towels. We're pretty neat so he probably appreciated not walking into a cabin that looked like the aftermath of a tornado. He got a little extra as well.

The cabin was roomy enough for the two of us with plenty of storage space. We'd both traveled with one 21" suitcase and a small tote bag so we could carry our own stuff on board and not have to wait for it. I had a second tote bag with my purchases coming off and we were able to do self-assist debarkation.

The seas were calm (I'd heard the cruise prior to ours was a bit rough due to TS Noel) and the journey was uneventful. We skipped the shopping talk and instead shopped at the stores I'd seen recommended on here. I was just looking for souvenirs, not fine jewelry, so Los Cinco Soles served me well. I did pick up a couple pareos at a side street shop because they were cheaper. And I found some nice bracelet/necklace sets at Silver Emporium at a very reasonable price.

Neither of us drink or gamble so Carnival made little off us aside from the cost of our cruise. I did spend about $90 in the gift shop but that was it. I took my own photos instead of buying theirs. Yeah, I'm a cheap date.:D

The Holiday could use some serious updating, but it's my understanding from a Carnival crew member who was at our dinner table the first night that they're trying to sell the ship. So why update something you're going to sell, especially since the buyer would probably turn it into a cargo ship. I wasn't impressed by the entertainment and the social directors got on my nerves -- just waaaaaaay too perky and over the top. Everything -- entertainment, activities, talks -- was ultimately a sales pitch and that annoyed me. I thought I'd signed up for a cruise, not for a timeshare presentation. After reading the Carnival site and these boards, I had no surprises on my Sail & Sign card. I knew the drinks weren't free (except at the Captain's Welcome party). I frequented the Wharf Bar and Grill for tea, lemonade and apple juice and had plenty to drink. I also appreciated that soft serve ice cream machine. I could get a little something sweet when I wanted.

The Carnival website says parking was $50 for 4 days; when I got there it was $60. I've complained to Carnival. I don't mind paying; just be up front with me. Embarkation went smoothly. They seem to have the process down to a fine art. The only problems I saw were with passengers who apparently never read their materials and didn't have their forms filled out. Customs coming back through was a whiz but I was only declaring about $200 with no alcohol or tobacco. Again, the only problems I saw were the folks who said "What Customs form?" Duh! It was slid under your door. Try reading it!

I'll sail again but probably try a different cruise line and different destination. This was a trial run for us -- short and cheap. Now that we know we like sailing, we'll go for something longer and nicer. And I definitely will ask for a cabin that's not right by the thrusters. Caramba! The noise started at 2:00 A.M. on the trip back into Mobile.

Thank You for your review. I like the fact that when I'm on a cruise like you I can make my own schedule.

In short, no. America is the land of big, big, big. My first (and only other) cruise was in 1980 aboard a Greek ship. I was living in Germany at the time. We sailed from Piraeus to several Greek islands and then on to Egypt and Israel. The cruise ship held 500 passengers. It seemed big to me and I was thrilled to be there. However, other Americans who came over from the US were very disappointed. This was the era of "The Love Boat" on television and that's what they expected.

I've had friends from Australia visit and they're amazed and also appalled by the amount of food served on a plate in restaurants. They're also appalled by the amount thrown away. American's don't seem to think twice about getting a huge steak that's 3-4 times what they should be eating and either over-eating or letting the extra go to waste (and to waist).

So I'm not surprised that most Americans think a 1400-passenger ship is small and other countries are perfectly satisfied with it.

It's not a matter of one being right and the other wrong; it's just a different culture, lifestyle and ultimately a different expectation.

There was a German cruise line docked in Cozumel along side ours in August (the only reason I knew it was German is our oldest son is heavy into the German lanuage and was over there chatting with some cruisers) and it was a really small ship with a tiny little pool. Some Canrival cruisers we were talking with could not believe that they had come from Germany to Mexico in that ???

We are so very blessed....personally I can't wait for a cruise on the tiny Holiday in less than 30 days!!!!

Archived