Express Disembark

mattR

I just did this for the first time. What a zoo! You have to go to guest relations and get an express voucher, but no one collects them, so I don't know why you needed it (nor why you couldn't leave a bit later). It said to go to the spotlight lounge on deck #6 at 8:30 am. We were on deck #2, and just try to get an elevator!!!! It took us about 12 minutes to get one, and just as it arrived, the announcement came that express people could leave on deck #4. I was glad it had taken a while as we could then just press #4. I can only imagine the zoo it was on #6, with the people just going up and now trying to get an elevator to go down 2 floors. Of course, if you could actually carry, rather than roll, your luggage, it would have been ok, but who packs that lightly?

I am not at all sure I would do it again -- the line was merging from 6, the elevator area was congested, and you had to snake around the centrum to get off -- the line moved fairly quickly, however. I don't know what is worse -- self-disembarking or looking for you luggage in the warehouse. I thought it looked like half the ship was doing self-disembarking, but by all the luggage in the holding area, I had to be wrong.

I had an 11:30 flight, and RCCL had given me the LAST departure color, to be called at 10:30 -- NO WAY! (I think I'll make a little complaint on that -- as they know the flight times) It took an hour to get off the ship at Port Everglades, through customs, to the airport (a very short distance), and checked in (but not through security at the airport).

At Everglades, you have to take your stuff down a steep escalator, or stairs, and you are admonished to have one hand free, so don't forget your baggage straps if you have more than one piece. I saw people dragging 2 suitcases -- not sure how they maneuvered that escalator -- there had to be an elevator somewhere, but I didn't see it.

I had an 11:30 flight, and RCCL had given me the LAST departure color, to be called at 10:30 -- NO WAY! (I think I'll make a little complaint on that -- as they know the flight times)

If they give you the wrong color in the future, take your tags down to guest relations and exchange them. They will put you in an earlier group if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
If they give you the wrong color in the future, take your tags down to guest relations and exchange them. They will put you in an earlier group if needed.

Yes, I know they will, but self-disembarking was just as good, and probably a tad earlier, so it worked for me. I've read posts where people had 9:00/9:30 am flights (not advised) and said they had no problem because Everglades is so close to the airport. Self-disembarkers were not allowed off until 8:30 am (docking at 7), and there was a huge line so I am thinking that poster must not have had many doing that on his/her trip.

Jaxon41- you must have been on the Enchantment- I tried to do the self-assist and no one seemed to know how it worked or where the best place to wait would be- I went to the Spotlight lounge to find people of all 'color tags' waiting there- no one could tell us why the delay (until 0830 )- it was organized chaos. Then they allowed the Private Departure lounge off before us- I had tickets to that lounge but Guest Services told me it would be faster if I went to the Spotlight to wait............ wrong!

Now on the other hand when I asked to self assist on Majesty- I got off the ship at 0720 and I could have got off at 0645 if I had wanted- they had the system down pat .

I did make my 10am flight from Enchantment but I was getting worried..

I've done "express disembarkation" twice. The first time was on Rhapsody, while she was still in Galveston. Our cabin was on deck 4 and we waited in the cabin and when they called we just walked down the hall, bucked the line (nobody cared as it was a full walkoff) and down the gangway, through customs and outside. We caught an immediate shuttle to EZ-Park and was getting gas at the station at Harborside and the I-45 at 7:30 AM. Good thing, too. They closed the outbound causeway at 8 AM for some kind of repair work. Nasty that!!!

The second time was on Vision, in Seattle. We disembarked on deck 5 (odd) and the line went from midship starboard all the way around the ship to midway port side. Talk about people in a hurry to get off!!!!! But, it was a crappy cruise so I guess that's justified. We came out on the starboard side and saw the long line and we just waited until the end of the line reached us. People in line were really irritated at others that broke in line, and that's understandable. But, we believe in fair play and patiently waited and goofed with everybody. We were on the bus to SEA-TAC by 8:30.

I guess most folks want OFF the ship as fast as possible and I'm one of them.

Jaxon41- you must have been on the Enchantment- I tried to do the self-assist and no one seemed to know how it worked or where the best place to wait would be- I went to the Spotlight lounge to find people of all 'color tags' waiting there- no one could tell us why the delay (until 0830 )- it was organized chaos. Then they allowed the Private Departure lounge off before us- I had tickets to that lounge but Guest Services told me it would be faster if I went to the Spotlight to wait............ wrong!

Now on the other hand when I asked to self assist on Majesty- I got off the ship at 0720 and I could have got off at 0645 if I had wanted- they had the system down pat .

I did make my 10am flight from Enchantment but I was getting worried..

Yep, it was Enchantment -- good to know that it isn't this way on all ships. Glad you made your flight -- I would have been anxious.

Archived