Great Barrier Reef....Is this doable?

Ok, My SIL has decided that she really wants to see the Great Barrier Reef but our time is very short. We arrive in Sydney on Friday morning and we fly out to LAX on Sunday afternoon. I told her she'd probably have to fly to get there and back in time BUT is it really doable? I'm trying to remember what she said so bear with me.... I think she said something about being able to go out on the reef and there was a building of some kind?? :confused:

Before I spend a lot of time researching for her is this really something that's going to work? In case you haven't notice I know absolutely nothing about this so any and all info will be appreciated.

Ok, My SIL has decided that she really wants to see the Great Barrier Reef but our time is very short. We arrive in Sydney on Friday morning and we fly out to LAX on Sunday afternoon. I told her she'd probably have to fly to get there and back in time BUT is it really doable? I'm trying to remember what she said so bear with me.... I think she said something about being able to go out on the reef and there was a building of some kind?? :confused:

Before I spend a lot of time researching for her is this really something that's going to work? In case you haven't notice I know absolutely nothing about this so any and all info will be appreciated.

I am interested in what information you get. We agree with your SIL. YOu can't go all the way to Australia and miss the GBR. We are doing a post cruise trip. Good luck.

It is possible. The shorter flight would be Sydney to Hamilton Island following your Friday arrival. Various types of accommodation and closer to GBR. Saturday Full Day Trip on Fantasea to Outer Reef from Hamilton Is (it is a permanent fixture more like a floating hotel). Underwater viewing/snorkelling/buffet lunch. Early morning flight Sunday back to Sydney....perhaps there is a late Saturday flight? Tight schedule :confused:

The alternative is flying Sydney/Cairns and taking Quicksilver to the Reef....same type floating "hotel" as Whitsundays. May have a better chance of a late flight Saturday Cairns/Sydney (or early Sunday).....for both check www.jetstar.com.au and www.virginblue.com.au . What a pity you didn't allow at least one more day ;)

B E V

It is possible. The shorter flight would be Sydney to Hamilton Island following your Friday arrival. Various types of accommodation and closer to GBR. Saturday Full Day Trip on Fantasea to Outer Reef from Hamilton Is (it is a permanent fixture more like a floating hotel). Underwater viewing/snorkelling/buffet lunch. Early morning flight Sunday back to Sydney....perhaps there is a late Saturday flight? Tight schedule :confused:

The alternative is flying Sydney/Cairns and taking Quicksilver to the Reef....same type floating "hotel" as Whitsundays. May have a better chance of a late flight Saturday Cairns/Sydney (or early Sunday).....for both check www.jetstar.com.au and www.virginblue.com.au . What a pity you didn't allow at least one more day ;)

B E V

That's the place she were talking about! :D You described it just a tad bit better then me.

Unfortunately we're already arriving 3 days early and staying the extra days after and since both my brother and her have their own small businesses that's about as much time as they could allot. Plus we got a group rate and the rest of us have to be to work on the Monday. Coming back Sunday morning might make it way too close since its an early afternoon flight and if there is any delay they'd miss the plane and that is something none of us wants to think of.

I doubt it would be doable if you want to see any part of Sydney at all. The GBR is based near Cairns (up in queensland, around 1500 Kms away.) You can fly there, but if you are using a budget airline, beware. We went to a wedding up that way last year, and they decided to postpone our flight one day each way. We had one weeks notice.

Otherwise, if that is all you want to do in Oz, then fine. Otherwise, just relax in Sydney, there are heaps of things to do there.

It is doable JUST, but as DBeans said, it will take up all your time.

Getting to Cairns on the Friday is no problem, but the last flight out of Cairns on a Saturday with Qantas or Virgin Blue (DO NOT USE JETSAR) is about 5pm which cuts a day trip to the GBF very fine. There is an early morning flight on both airlines on the Sunday morning that gets into Sydney about 10am. So, it would be doable JUST but at the expense of all that Sydney has to offer.

Cheers

Bob

I am interested in what information you get. We agree with your SIL. YOu can't go all the way to Australia and miss the GBR. We are doing a post cruise trip. Good luck.

I also think it seems pretty silly to go all the way to Sydney and not see any of it.

I also think it seems pretty silly to go all the way to Sydney and not see any of it.

Sydney is a lovely city with so much to see and do so why not relax and spend your few days there. That way you are not stressing about missing planes etc.

Another thing, what month are you planning on visiting Australia. If it is between December and the end of March, then that is the wet season up north and you could be hit with either very heavy rain or a cyclone. Imagine going all that way up there and then not being able to go out to the reef due to the weather. To see the coral at its best you need bright sunshine and calm seas.

I wouldn't risk flying all that way up there for a few hours out at the reef knowing that your flight back to Sydney could be altered, changed or cancelled. It would be far better to spend your time wisely in Sydney seeing and doing the many things that makes Sydney so great and plan for another visit to our country with more time to appreciate our wonderful reef.

Jennie

If it is Easter, then you need to decide what you are going to do. Sydney has the Royal Easter Show and a lot of the hotels could be booked out. Also, if you are planning on flying north, then the planes could be fully booked as it is the Easter school break and the children usually have 10 days or more break. Being early in the year and the weather still warm, a lot of people from Victoria and New South Wales could be flying up north.

Also it is right in the middle of our cyclone season up north. This year the far north had inches of rain during the wet season but luckily no cyclones.

Jennie

Archived