For Those Who Don't Like the Coffee

davewilliamt

I don't care much for the coffee on the ships, at home:

Kirkland (Costco) House Blend roasted by Starbucks

San Francisco Bay Cloumbian also from Costco

8 o'clock coffee

Dunkin donuts coffee

Seattle's Best

As you can see I'm really, really picky.

PS: Dave....where abouts are you from? I grew up in Detroit

I often order coffee online from small coffee farms in Hawaii. At other times, I drink Folgers "Simply Smooth" (low acid). I am curious to try the coffee made from concentrate...didn't know there was such a thing!

Hi,

I wrote the Cruise Critic "professional" review on Grand Princess a few years ago, http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=54. Three paragraphs from the bottom in the "Dining" section, I talk about Princess's coffee.

I wouldn't get too excited about trying the syrup-based coffee except as an experiment. It's wretched!

Jana

Just out of curiosity,

If you do not like the coffee on board (syrup based)

What coffee do you drink at home?

I drink starbucks, and I generally like the coffee they brew on board ( CB & Star)

:confused:

At home it is Trader Joes Sumatra Blend, dark roast. In town it is Starbucks, Paneras, or, for the best cup of Joe anywhere I go to a small coffee house in town called the "Blue Mug". Aboard ship I try to avoid the coffee syrup machines. I take along my own coffee, and a plastic funnel that holds coffee in a melita filter. I order room service tea, throw away the tea bag, place the plastic filter holder filled with coffee on top of the cup and pour hot water from the thermos provided with the tea. It makes a nice cup of coffee. You can also get hot water (keep the thermos from the first day) at the buffet.

None of you coffee gourmets have mentioned the Uncontested King of All Coffee:

Jamaican Blue Mountain

If you're drinking anything else, you're just drinking dirty water.;)

(and no badda [bother] wit dem falsy-falsy "high mountain" coffees from Ja)

I have been unhappy with the coffee, too, but refused to lug a coffee pot around. Behold!! In Sydney, Australia last month, I came across a Bodum store which specializes in coffee & tea makers. They had the ideal Traveler French Press, no handle, easy to pack. Holds about 2 cups, double insulated, clear plastic with a flip spout on the top so you can make it & take it. I was thrilled & thought $25.00 was a bargain. I bought a bag of Starbuck's & had the best coffee in months.

Would you believe.......I went to Cost Plus World Market yesterday & there was my exact Bodum French Press, $9.99!!! Well, you never know.

Now, I haven't used it on a ship yet & my concern is getting boiling water. My plan is to use my little instant water heater gizmo that goes in a cup. So, if you want something cheap, non breakable, lightweight & easy to use, check out the French Press at Cost Plus (don't buy it in Australia!)

Would you believe.......I went to Cost Plus World Market yesterday & there was my exact Bodum French Press, $9.99!!! Well, you never know.

Thank you! It sounds perfect!

My daughter gave me one from Starbucks for Christmas last year. It's sleek and stylish, but it doesn't hold very much and it's very heavy. It's a press-mug and I was shocked to see that it cost $25 when I went into Starbucks later.

I was in a Bodum store in Paris last month and didn't see the one you're talking about, but I can tell you that there wasn't a single thing in that store that cost the equivalent of $9.99. Oh wait, some spoons for five euros each. I see you are a neighbor of mine, did you get it at the World Market between Stater Bros. and Best Buy???

Jana

Good question. Personally I really don't like the ever so popular Starbucks. Its just too oevr the top for me. My opionion only. My at home coffee for a few yrs. now is Gevalia which is mail order through a Swedish based company. At times I am gifted with some nice German coffes called Eduscho or Tschibo. These are also very nice, depending on the roast. For consistency the Gevalia Columbian has always been just fine and for their special editions the Mexican Maragojype (spelling) has topped my list followed closely by the Papau New Guinea special edition.

At home, I drink only Maxwell House! I take a small 2-cupper pot on the cruise, and a lb. of coffee and am happy. I leave the coffee-maker in the cabin when we disembark.

Can you tell me where you found a 2 cupper pot. Is it small enough to fit in a suitcase nicely? I have been all over the net looking for a small pot. They all seem to big to pack. Thanks. :)

Can you tell me where you found a 2 cupper pot. Is it small enough to fit in a suitcase nicely? I have been all over the net looking for a small pot. They all seem to big to pack. Thanks. :)

I have one of these that we take to the Caribbean, when we don't drink a lot of coffee, but need a cup or two to get us started in the AM. They are small, no pot to break, and they make one brewed up of coffee at a time. Easy to transport and pack, and have no warming plate. So they are very safe as they shut off automatically when finished.

http://shopping.msn.com/prices/shp/?itemId=19588414

I have one that also makes two individual cups at a time, but the machine is much larger than this and harder to pack, so it doesn't go on cruises with us. But this little one cup at a time pot is perfect and takes up almost no space in the luggage.

I find it amazing that Princess uses syrup base coffee. Does RCCL do the same thing-or all of the cruise lines? I am not a hugh coffee drinker but I do like a cup or 2 in the morning and maybe one after dinner at night and the cruise lines coffee has always been OK-now I am beginning to wonder

claudiaJ

When I was a smoker I could not find a coffee strong enough. Since I quit smoking I do not like strong coffee. Tim Horton's and Starbucks are way to strong for me. At home I enjoy my Melitta. I plan to take a small coffee pot with me on my cruise. My morning and evening coffee are too important not to be able to enjoy on the balcony.:p

Saw one just yesterday at Macy's. The pot is metal so should travel ok.

I find it amazing that Princess uses syrup base coffee. Does RCCL do the same thing-or all of the cruise lines? I am not a hugh coffee drinker but I do like a cup or 2 in the morning and maybe one after dinner at night and the cruise lines coffee has always been OK-now I am beginning to wonder

claudiaJ

Lots of high volume venues use syrup base. The stuff on Gand was absolutely vile. I asked my coffee supplier about that. He said, as with ground coffees, there are various grades of syrup. Some better than others. Who knew?:o

I bought these http://www.liquidplanet.com/estore/product.php?productid=192&cat=15&page=1 for our cruise.

I never used mine as I bought a coffee card but DH loved it, easy to use and clean and he used Gloria Jean's Sumatra dark roast and loved it.

Were easy to pack, has a container to hold another shot too.

Archived