ice machines

ShannonWPB

ok this may be a silly question but I've never cruised on NCL. When I cruised other lines, I had to call room service or hunt down my steward to fill up a pitcher with ice water for me. I drink a lot of water and try to fill it up twice a day. Does the jewel have an ice room that is not closed to guests or at least not locked so I can do it myself (instead of having to tip room service everyday :)??

Unlike most hotels on land, cruise ships typically do not have ice machines near the rooms. In fact, about the only ice dispenser you will have access to is at the buffet.

However, if you plan ahead, that can be enough. Bring some large, insulated mugs and fill them up. You can carry one in each hand and together they may hold as much as one of the little ice buckets in the room.

I think the shortage of ice is no accident - it costs energy to make ice, and they also would prefer you to buy cold drinks at the bar!

It may be a tad inconvenient to walk to the buffet for ice, but I really don't mind if it means I can get it when I want it.

ok this may be a silly question but I've never cruised on NCL. When I cruised other lines, I had to call room service or hunt down my steward to fill up a pitcher with ice water for me. I drink a lot of water and try to fill it up twice a day. Does the jewel have an ice room that is not closed to guests or at least not locked so I can do it myself (instead of having to tip room service everyday :)??

If you do not see your cabin stewards, just leave them a post-it note that you would like ice in your cabin every AM and PM:)

• Administrators

Actually, I don't think ships "hide" the ice for economic reasons so much as hygienic ones. The scoop for an ice machine, for instance, should never be left in the ice in the machine -- that puts the handle (which hands have touched) in contact with the product (ice). That's even assuming that all passengers would use the scoop and not just stick their cup in there like you might do at home -- or use bare hands. :eek:

Archived