Passport Questions

Marialivia

I am booked on the VOS 9-nite to W. Caribbean 9/10. I have received suggestions from several sources about making 2 copies of my passport, which I have done. Will leave one copy at home and take one with me.

Now, other than my check-in identification, when else will I be using my passport? (itinerary: Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Bahamas)? Thanks. ML :confused:

Yes, I know I will need it at the terminal at Bayonne, but I did not know whether I would have to use it at any of the ports. The suggestion about taking a copy with me to the port is a great one -- I am always antsy about carrying my passport around and am always checking to make sure I haven't lost it!! Your responses have taken care of my question, and I thank you. ML :)

I've gotta say that IF you're going to carry your passport, it's best to have the ORIGINAL with you when you get off the ship. A copy will not be helpful if you end up needing help with the Embassy....they'll require the original. Or, God forbid you should be left behind, fall seriously ill, get hurt, etc. The government officials in whatever country you're in will require the original also. Bottom line: It's the original you'll need--if you need it at all. Keep the copy onboard in a safe place and carry the original.

You won't need it for any other reason, though (other than returning to the US). They'll use your Sail and Sign card to "check" you out and in when you leave and re-board....and they'll take a picture of you that is connected to the card so they probably won't even ask for ID.

I am booked on the VOS 9-nite to W. Caribbean 9/10. I have received suggestions from several sources about making 2 copies of my passport, which I have done. Will leave one copy at home and take one with me.

Why is it some folks think they need to make copies of their passport and use the copies? If the government wanted you to use a Xerox copy, they would have sent you a copy.

Do you make copies of your credit cards and leave the plastic at home? Do you make copies of your cash? Do you make copies of your pictures and leave the originals at home.

This is just a bunch of nonsense from a bunch of paranoid folks who have listened to too many tales once too often. (And that's what I think)

I carry my original passport when I travel out of the US. That's what it's for. And yes, I am responsible enough not to lose it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it some folks think they need to make copies of their passport and use the copies? If the government wanted you to use a Xerox copy, they would have sent you a copy.

Do you make copies of your credit cards and leave the plastic at home? Do you make copies of your cash? Do you make copies of your pictures and leave the originals at home.

This is just a bunch of nonsense from a bunch of paranoid folks who have listened to too many tales once too often. (And that's what I think)

I carry my original passport when I travel out of the US. That's what it's for. And yes, I am responsible enough not to lose it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Having a copy will make it much easier to get a replacement if it is lost or STOLEN. Happens more often than you would like to know. I have a list of all my credit cards and it would make it easier if I have a copy. You should ask the people who had all their stuff stolen this week at Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda-one of the safest countries in the world but obviously not that safe.

And remember even paranoids have enemies. If you have your passport stolen and have a copy they can locate the file much faster. You should read the Department of State sheets on each country if you want to see paranoid...I think that carrying a copy in your luggage back in the room is a good safe precaution but you are free not to do it and the probability is that your will never need it. The safe course is to take a few seconds to make a copy but I hope that your attitude doesn't come between good comon sense and a holier than thou attitude....

In response to a previous poster's question "why do people think they have to carry copy . . ." which posits that "If the government wanted you to carry Xerox, etc. etc.," let me respond by referring you to Page 6 of your GOVERNMENT-issued passport, "Tips for Travelers": "Make 2 photocopies of your passport identification page. Leave one copy at home. Carry the other with you in a separate place from your passport . . ." Congratulations on your godlike sense of responsibility. Too bad you have been shortchanged on empathy and kindness.

Archived