Scuba Certification?

LVGlenn

Many many years ago I was a certified diver, and was toying with the idea of jumping back in during our Eastern Carribean trip on Mariner in November. I saw on RCI's website here that they offer an onboard PADi certification course with dives in St. Thomas. Does anyone know if they offer this course on the Mariner? Has anyone tried this course? If so, what'd you think? How were the dives in St. Thomas, what depth do they usually go to? Inquiring minds (one at least) want to know.

You still are a certified diver. From the RCCL website:

Scuba Tune-Up

Been a while since your last dive? Refresh your knowledge and skills at sea with your Sea Trek Instructors. Even if you have made a dive recently, this course will boost your confidence and enjoyment. Available on Voyager of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Adventure of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas.

$49 USD per person

If you have enough time, you can also do a refesher course through a local dive shop. My guess would be that it may be cheaper than aboard ship (although maybe not, location, location...lol). When we last did diving and booked through the cruise ship the only requirement was that you had made at least 1 dive in the previous 2 years. Also if you no longer have your card you can have Padi reissue you one for a nominal fee.

I was certified through NAUI and not PADI. I basically don't have any of my records from back then (I was in college and have moved around a lot since then) so I can't get a NAUI card reissued because I have no proof of certification. I've checked with a local dive shop and the price seems comparable when you factor in doing certification dives in St. Thomas as opposed to Lake Mead. ;)

They do offer scuba certification aboard Mariner. Personally, I wound't suggest doing it that way. There are many hours involved. Do you really want to be tied to a schedule and have to study while on a cruise? I highly suggest taking care of this before leaving home if at all possible.

They do offer scuba certification aboard Mariner. Personally, I wound't suggest doing it that way. There are many hours involved. Do you really want to be tied to a schedule and have to study while on a cruise? I highly suggest taking care of this before leaving home if at all possible.

True... How true. We had about 5-10 hours of classroom and 8-10 hours of in water, and that did not include our check out dives...

LVGlenn;

I also agree with all who said get cert b4 you go. You have plenty of time to do it now before Nov. ALSO agree with the "toying with the idea of jumping back in". Go for it..... no matter how long it has been, you'll love it.

I did not see any answers to your other questions in all that previous "Cert" advice. I did the Buck Island Scuba excursion once while in St. Thomas. It was an "OK" 2-tank dive. We went over to Buck Island where there is a wreck to dive to and then, a little ways past that there is a small reef for the second dive. I think lowest depth was a little over 40 feet. It would be a nice trip for someone starting out (or starting over). St. Thomas is better known for its shopping than for its scuba sites, but it is an excuse to suit-up and I'll bet you would enjoy it.

If you are previously open water certified in PADI you are still certified. The certification is for life. If it has been years since diving, you should take a refresher course at your local dive shop. The only programs offered on the cruise lines are either "Resort" courses or full certification. You don't really need either of these if you are certified. You will need your C card to dive on the cruise. If you do not still have your card, your dive shop should be able to get a copy issued.

Kevin

Archived