Do you need a birth certificate for Canada?

txcarrie

Origianly from Imsulin

Huh? Some people consider Canada to be "domestic"? Well, it's certainly "domestic" for Canadians! It is a separate country.

Yea, I know it's a seperate country that wasn't my question. The industry I work in considers North American to be "domestic". They are a lot less lenient on things coming and going to and from Canada and I didn't know if was the same in the cruise industry. So forgive Imsulin, for asking such an assanine question. You sure no how to make people feel welcome here with such a smart *** remark.

Thanks to all those who answered my question.

Carrie

I am not sure about the cruise industry, but my husband travels back and forth on business and for the last few years the airports and border crossings have been asking more and more for a passport. He used to just take a picture ID, etc., but has too much trouble, now he uses his passport all the time. Last visit to Canada, which was just a few weeks ago, the border crossing people (he was driving this time) not only wanted his passport, but wanted to know who he was visiting, type of business, etc. He said they were very polite, not complaining, they were just doing their job, buy he said security was very tight and the passport was a big help. I would definitely use a passport.

Hi there-

We're Detroiters and went to Windsor for lunch today (yummy dim sum in case any one wanted to know...). Well, not only was there a huge backup at the border to get back into the US, but the US customs agents were really checking. They asked for each of our IDs and asked the following:

[*]What we're you doing in Canada?

[*]Are you bringing anything back?

[*]How ofter do you come to Canada?

[*]Who is the registered owner of this car? (that was a new one for me...I haven't heard that asked at the border before)

In addition to all the questions, they walked around the car and then peeked into the hatch window of my SUV (also a new one to me). They made the minivan in front of us open all the passenger doors and the pickup next to us opened his back "hatch" (or whatever you call it..) to make sure all was empty.

I've been back and forth over the border since 9/11 and this is the first time I've seen them scrutinize everyone as carefully as they did. Sure makes me feel better, though.

So long story short, take your passport. You'll need it; but not to get into Canada, but to get back in the US (Canada customs was a breeze...the guy didn't even look at our passports. He just saw the we had them and waved us through...)

Hope that helps.

Lynne

Does anyone know if they require a Birth Certificate for the Voyager cruise to Canada/New England? I know some people consider Canada to be domestic and others don't.

Thanks, Carrie

I have been to Canada several times. Never on a cruise ship although we drove from Seattle to Vancouver in 2001for a cruise to Alaska. (this was before Sept.11) We never had a problem getting into Canada-they simply asked why we were visting Canada then waived us on-but getting back in the US was a different story those US guys are a lot more ticky. Not only did they have to see the birth certificates of us but our daughter's. We are from Georgia and our accents alone should have shown them we were from the US. A southern accent is something that can't be faked very well as any true southerner can tell you after hearing many bad "southern" accents on TV and in Grade B movies.

Once when hubby had to take a business trip to Canada-his company had had him apply for a passport. It had not come back before this trip or his raised seal birth certificate which you are required to send in when you apply for the passport. Well everyone assured him it was no big deal but not so- the US guys almost did not let him back in-they held him back while they made a series of phone calls etc. It had him pretty nervous. Makes me wonder how is it we have so many illegal aliens form Mexico since they are so ticky at the Canada border.

I wish the Canadian Customs Agents were as thorough as the US Agents...who knows who could be coming into Canada! Hmm, think I will report them....LOL But seriously, that is disturbing to hear...when we come back from the US we are asked for receipts, etc., they seem to have more interest in what we spent our money on in the US and then if you go over the allowed amount they ask for duty...maybe checking a little better would be better for all concerned.!!!!!!!!!

Hi there-

We're Detroiters and went to Windsor for lunch today (yummy dim sum in case any one wanted to know...). Well, not only was there a huge backup at the border to get back into the US, but the US customs agents were really checking. They asked for each of our IDs and asked the following:

[*]What we're you doing in Canada?

[*]Are you bringing anything back?

[*]How ofter do you come to Canada?

[*]Who is the registered owner of this car? (that was a new one for me...I haven't heard that asked at the border before)

In addition to all the questions, they walked around the car and then peeked into the hatch window of my SUV (also a new one to me). They made the minivan in front of us open all the passenger doors and the pickup next to us opened his back "hatch" (or whatever you call it..) to make sure all was empty.

I've been back and forth over the border since 9/11 and this is the first time I've seen them scrutinize everyone as carefully as they did. Sure makes me feel better, though.

So long story short, take your passport. You'll need it; but not to get into Canada, but to get back in the US (Canada customs was a breeze...the guy didn't even look at our passports. He just saw the we had them and waved us through...)

Hope that helps.

Lynne

Does anyone know if they require a Birth Certificate for the Voyager cruise to Canada/New England? I know some people consider Canada to be domestic and others don't.

Thanks, Carrie

Carrie, my company for purposes of shipping consider Canada domestic rather than international.

A coworker went to Canada last weekend for a wedding and got stuck at the border crossing for over an hour. Looks like the tightening of the borders is working.

Hi there-

We're Detroiters and went to Windsor for lunch today (yummy dim sum in case any one wanted to know...). Well, not only was there a huge backup at the border to get back into the US, but the US customs agents were really checking.

Too funny Lynne, we did the opposite yesterday. We live near Windsor and headed over to Taylor for our Target fix (we don't have Targets over here boo hoo!) and some dinner. We had the same experience at US customs with opening the trunk etc., although that didn't happen when we were there about three weeks ago so I'm thinking there may have been some higher security procedures this weekend for some reason. We are ALWAYS required to show our birth certs and drivers licenses when crossing into the US now which is no problem, but they don't always ask when coming home. Like London says, they just want to make sure they get that duty and taxes out of us if we spend a bit. We have a good friend who is a Cdn customs agent and he says they HAVE made great strides since 9/11 in border security and the border is a much safer place for both sides but we still have a ways to go.

For the op, have a wonderful time in Canada - you'll find us very welcoming and we love that Texas drawl!

Thanks so much for all the information. I am glad too that the US customs are checking everything. I'm sure a lot of it depends on the threat level in the US too.

I have heard very good things about the Maritimers and am soo excited to see first hand.

Carrie

Archived