Noordam' food

meidda

With my insistance my sister and her fiancee will be traveling with me in February on the Noordam. He is not too keen on going but will go becuase my sister wants to. He recently emailed me and asked how the food was. I know this is really subjective but I have noticed that some of the postings on various boards and reviews have been neutral to bad. Some of these were not recent reviews so I am interested in hearing from anyone who has cruised recently on the Noordam. Can you give me some reassurance so that I can pass this info on to him?

By the way is there such a thing as a cruise bug. I get so excited about cruises that I check these boards a few times a day. I can't wait to hear about experiences and reports that other members make and love to see the pictures. I have been trying to figure out how I swing it ( money wise) so that I can go on 2 a year. And I am making plans for 2009 already. Is there a vaccine or antidote for this. Help! I am in Love.

You are correct in that food is extremely subjective. My parent's just returned on 10/31 from a sailing on the Noordam and were pleased with the food (and they have food allergies to contend with).

They felt that the meals were cooked properly and seasoned well (but not over-done with seasoning). Meats/Chicken/Fish were moist and tender and not "chewy" or "dry".

They do not eat "spicy" food so they cannot comment on that.

One thing to remember - and stress to your soon-to-be BIL is that if he is unhappy with the selection once it is in front of him (not hot enough, or not cooked to the correct level - rare, etc.), he should just let his waiter know and they will replace his meal. I've only had this occur a few times over my cruising history. The waiters will happily (and quicky) replace your entree - or any portion of a meal - that you find unsatisfactory. And they will do it with a smile. (Of course, it helps to ask nicely ;) - unlike some of the hissy-fits I've seen passengers throw - which are just uncalled for.)

If you have specific questions, please try to post them. I'll call Mom and ask what I can for you.

Happy Cruising! :)

(Oh, BTW, there is no cure for the cruise addiction other than planning and cruising forever!!) :D

Have not been on the Noordam yet.

Is your sister's boyfriend use to 5* food?

If not, he will not have any trouble finding something edible to eat. Food is good to very good, but not always outstanding! Typically, I think the appetizers, soups and salads are better than the entrees. Desserts are always OK.

Typically, I think the appetizers, soups and salads are better than the entrees. Desserts are always OK.

My Mom thought the opposite this time around. She felt the appetizers were a bit "uninspired"; yet the entrees were good (though, this time, only one usually appealed to her - instead of the usual 2 or 3 choices).

Just returned from the Noordam. food was just fair. Off course, this is a subjective thing. The menu seems somewhat disorganized. For examle, appetizers, soups and salads all listed together in mixed up fashion. "chef recommends" is an entree not listed with the other entrees so make sure you read the whole menu. Service was slow at best. We actually missed shows because we could not get out of the dining room. I would not dare send an entree back. It would have taken forever. All in all we were dissapointed with our HAL dining room experience. Again a lot of things are subjective. good luck. I hope everything works out for you

I haven't sailed the Noordam since last February so my take on the food may not be recent enough for you. I can only say that I thought it was great and my friends who sailed in January said it was only fair and nothing came hot. We actually eat out at much fancier restaurants than my friends do, so their comment surprised me. Someone already suggested you send back anything that's not hot or cooked to your liking.

And no, I don't think there is a cure for this addiction and love of cruising. I haven't been at this for so long, but have given up trying to find a cure. Luckily, my DH also loves cruising so we have no problems there. As you can see from my signature, we are also cruising the Noordam again this February. Haven't seen you over on my roll call board, so my guess is we aren't on the same cruise.

The Noordam is a truly elegant ship and you will love her. When do you cruise?

Peg - I noticed you were on the 10/20 with my parents (Lanie & Ronnie - though they didn't really get to meet many people since Mom got hurt on board).

Did you have AYWD or traditional? I'm just curious to see if there were differences in service levels, etc. between the two.

Thanks!!

I was on the Noordam in Sept to Alaska. I thought the food was good not great. Although I spoke with others onboard that thought it was fabulous. It goes to show that eveyones taste are different. I do go out to eat a lot & consider myself somewhat of a foodie. I did think the appetizers were more interesting than the entrees, though. Some nights I'd just order a few appetizers instead of an entree. The Pinnacle Grill was a different story. The food was as good as any 5 star restaurant & the service & ambience just as nice. My fiilet at the Pinnacle was probably the best I've ever had.

We were also on the 10/20 cruise and had early seating traditional. We were at a table for 4 and by mutual agreement did not wait for our tablemates to order (they were on honeymoon ;)). We were always out in plenty of time for the early show and felt that the food was good and that there were adequate choices. I often opted for the onion soup and caesar salad which were always available along with chicken or steak. There were no nights when I stayed away from the main dining room because I couldn't find any choices. Breakfasts were generally an omelet and I ate most of my lunches from the Asian station. All were good. It is not, however 5-star cuisine.

Frick and Frack, We had traditional dining, second seating. Maybe part of the service problems we had are because of that transition. they might need to refine assignments etc. I'm sure it has been a tricky change over. Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she is OK.

Big Al, We liked the asian section of the buffet as well!

Thanks Peg.

Mom & Dad had AYWD - but always went at 5:30PM.

I was curious since we are supposed to have traditional - main in February.

Mom "claims" to be hobbling better; but I need to get over there and force her to visit the doctor. However, Dad thinks her hobbling is a form of amusement for him, so he just laughs at her....:D

Thanks for asking though!!

I was on the Noordam in May (first HAL cruise after 3 on RCL). I was slightly disappointed by the main dining room food. It was good, but I had been expecting a step up from RCL and this was not the case (I actually found RCL's main dining room food to be a little better). I too liked the appetizers better than the main courses most nights as another posted mentioned.

I did find the Lido's breakfast and lunch significantly better than RCL's Windjammer. I especially liked the waffles and the specials of the day at breakfast time (the bananna bread french toast in particular). The pizza at lunch was also quite a bit better than RCL's pizza and the free ice cream was good as well. The one bad thing at the Lido was the sushi was extremely bland and uninspired.

The Pinnacle Grill I thought was worth going to for one meal, but was not so great that I had a desire to eat there a second night. I did really enjoy meeting the head chef of the Pinnacle Grill at the cooking class. He was very friendly, intelligent, and engaging.

DH and I were on the Noordam in July of this year, and we both consider ourselves foodies. Your opinion of the food on the Noordam will depend on what you're used to at home. This was our first cruise, so we have no frame of reference to other ships. Overall, we thought the food was fine/good. Considering the volumes of food they were producing, we thought they did a good job, especially in the main dining room. I personally wasn't very impressed with the Lido buffet, but I'm not a buffet person - but the food was acceptable. Breakfast was usually room service or in the main dining room (lots of pastries), and both were good. Lunch was usually in port. Dinner for us was always in the main dining room. Portion sizes were on the smaller side, but I thought appropriate. I was always full by the end of all the courses. Some of the larger guys at the table would order double appetizers, entrees, and/or deserts. The biggest thing that stands out is that they had a hard time delivering our beef rare/medium rare, but that's not an issue for some people. I actually had a piece of lamb that was great! If your soon-to-be BIL is looking for something a little nicer, try the Pinnacle Grill. DH and I did not try this, only because we were with a group.

If you have any specific questions, ask.

Someone already suggested you send back anything that's not hot or cooked to your liking.
One thing to remember - and stress to your soon-to-be BIL is that if he is unhappy with the selection once it is in front of him (not hot enough, or not cooked to the correct level - rare, etc.), he should just let his waiter know and they will replace his meal.

Not only if the meal is not prepared to your liking, if you simply decide that you made the wrong choice of entree and want something different the waiter will happily (and usually quickly) replace it.

The only poor dinner we've ever had on a HAL ship was in the Westerdam Pinnacle Grill 2 years ago. My DW's filet mignon was badly overcooked and dry, but the service had been so poor/slow up to that point that by the time she got it she didn't want to drag the meal out any longer by asking for a replacement. And unlike the dining room, where the waiter can simply go into the kitchen and pick up a different plate, in the PG the meal would have had to be re-prepared.

Part of the problem may have been that an apparently "favorite" couple had been seated nearby, and so much attention was given to them that we were all but forgotten. By contrast, our dinner in the Statendam PG two months ago was much better in beef quality than the dining room, though we still liked our service better in the dining room.

The only poor dinner we've ever had on a HAL ship was in the Westerdam Pinnacle Grill 2 years ago. My DW's filet mignon was badly overcooked and dry, but the service had been so poor/slow up to that point that by the time she got it she didn't want to drag the meal out any longer by asking for a replacement. And unlike the dining room, where the waiter can simply go into the kitchen and pick up a different plate, in the PG the meal would have had to be re-prepared.

Part of the problem may have been that an apparently "favorite" couple had been seated nearby, and so much attention was given to them that we were all but forgotten. By contrast, our dinner in the Statendam PG two months ago was much better in beef quality than the dining room, though we still liked our service better in the dining room.

John - We, also, had a horrible dining experience in the Pinnacle Grill on the Westerdam (which was my now DH's very first cruise ever). It was so bad, the next night we we just joking with our waiter that we missed him so very much. He brought the Maitre D' over to discuss the meal with us! We didn't want anyone in trouble (we just chalked it up); but they were insistent on hearing the details.

It became a running joke that the "main" dining room had ripe tomatoes each evening ;) :D (since our Pinnacle dinner didn't)

Happy Cruising! :)

I'm sailing on the Zuiderdam in one week -- from the sounds of this thread and others regarding food, I might just lose a few pounds!

I did on my last cruise -- 5 pounds in 4 days -- food was simply awful (Disney Wonder) ---

I'm planning to have some nice meals while in port this time tho.

It may be the first time I kick off the holiday season without packing on a few pounds over Thanksgiving!:)

Archived