Any thoughts for Solo Cruisers???

ColumbusCruiser

Solo straight cruises or solo gay cruises?

We have a few friends, also out of long term relationships, who recently took their first gay cruises solo and had a great time. Hard to say for straight cruises. Sometimes there is a great Friends of Dorothy group to socialize with, sometimes you are the only friend of Dorothy (this has happened to partner and I more than once). We never have trouble meeting straight people to hang out with on a straight cruise, but I have never tried it alone. All the solo traveling friends I can think of have only done the gay cruises, but the all had a great time and made lots of new friends!

TBC

I have sailed solo on both Gay and Straight cruises. RSVP has been mixed for me; mostly couples sailing. Atlantis was way too young and over the top. I have always had a great time sailing solo on Crystal Cruises. Their single supplement is on 25% for standard cabins, there are lots of family onboard, both passengers and crew. Next year I will be doing their World Cruise solo and am sure to have a wonderful time. Go for it!

Hi, Columbuscruiser!

Just found Cruise Critic and thought I'd give you my thoughts on sailing solo.

First of all, altough I've never had a relationship, eight years together is significant, and I only hope all is going well with you.

OK, now to the topic of issue. I've sailed solo on 12 cruises - all of them straight and I have to tell ya, I've had a great time on each and every one. I'm just the opposite of one of the other posters that has only sailed on gay cruises.

Pricesss does a good job of having GLBT meetings which affords the opportunity to meet other family. But I have to tell you that on any Princess ship, or any cruise line for that matter, you'll have no trouble meeting other family - unless you stay locked up in your cabin.

I hope you'll take the chance and try it - solo. I'm certain you'll have a great time!!

All my best,

Rick

I have only been on 2 cruises, both as solos, but maybe my limited experience will help. It was uncomfortable at first to be a solo on my first cruise (a straight cruise--a transatlantic on the QM2). Most cruisers are definitely in couples or groups (families or friends). But once I got on board and checked out the various things to do on the ship, everything went fine. It had traditional dining, which worked out well--a ready-made group to have dinner with and all were traveling solo (2 gay men, 1 straight man, 1 straight woman). I also went to the Friends of Dorothy meeting and met people. However, to be comfortable traveling solo (on a ship or on land), you should be prepared to be alone at times. You should not go if you think it will be an entire waste of time unless you meet someone to spend the cruise with (IMHO). My second cruise was an Atlantis cruise in Hawaii. It was great, but with no traditional dining (it was all freestyle) and no Friends of Dorothy meetings (I think they did have meetings for straights to get together), there were not the same pre-made opportunities to meet (they did have singles dinners and events but I did not go to them). Both cruises were a lot of fun, but I was surprised that it was easier to meet people on the straight cruise (at least for me on these 2 cruises and probably because of my own actions on the two cruises).

The bottom line is I would recommend a cruise to anyone traveling solo. (I regret that I put off trying a cruise for years because it never occured to me that I could go solo), but be prepared from some awkwardness on occasion, some alone time, and expending some effort to meet others if you want to (go to FOD meetings, go on ship excursions, talk to people around the ship). I found people on cruises to be friendly, including on the straight cruise, so it should not be that hard to spend time with others.

It may be a little harder at first to cruise as a solo, but its better than sitting at home (and you'll face many of the same challenges on any vacation as a single). Enjoy!!!

Flag Fan::confused: "It had traditional dining, which worked out well--a ready-made group to have dinner with and all were traveling solo (2 gay men, 1 straight man, 1 straight woman)"......does the cruise staff seat other singles together, or would you have to request this?

Columbus Cruiser: I'm doing my 2nd cruise, and 1st solo in early Dec. (Carnival's Destiny to Southern Caribbean-counting the days now!!!). I can let you know how it goes. I have traveled alone alot, and I've always enjoyed it. The one part I'm alittle apprehensive of is with the dining room, and who I may be seated with.:eek:

Thanks in advance for any info re: to the seating arrangements for solo passengers...Happy travels!

I have travelled solo a lot. Last year I did a 3 night cruise on the QE2 and loved it. The dinner table was very nice and I met a lot of people onboard. There were times when I really had to make an effort to be alone for a while.

So enjoy it!

Reint

The first cruise after you split up might be emotional but after that it is becomes easier. If you are going by yourself on a straight cruise (like myself in March). Get a good look at the embarkation photos and see if they are any other family onboard. Then introduce yourself to them. I have always had a great time traveling solo and it forces me to be more social and meet people and I found that most people are very friendly on a cruise and I have been well taken care of by fellow passengers.

Did you just split up this month?

Urbanhawk -- Sorry, I don't know if it is standard practice to seat singles together or it is just the practice on the QM2 or just on that particular cruise. The solo boards indicate that people have had varied experiences with table mates. I know Crystal has just started a new solos table for its specialty restaurant, but I have not read about such an arrangement on any other line and I am not sure how it works on Crystal--do they automatically put all solos at the same table or does one have to reserve a space at the solo table?

I went solo on Atlantis Baltic 2007 and had a complete and total blast. I did have area friends on the ship with me though, but I found them (a block away!) a few months before sailing. Do not let being single ever stand in your way of an experience that you may enjoy. Gay cruises (Atlantis, etc.) are really social for singles - go for it. The gay charters have a lot of specific events tailored for singles and they are a lot of fun.

It's unfortunate you chose not to attend any of Atlantis' single dinners or partys. Personally I look forward to them and attend every one of them. I especially enjoy the dinners where you change tables after each course.

Straight cruise or gay cruise, if you're single you have to work at it if you want to meet people. I suppose if you are often mistaken for Brad Pitt, you might get more attention with less work on the gay cruise - but it depends on the kind of attention you are looking for :)

I did many traditional straight cruises before I met my partner, and always met people - either because of FOD parties, or random talk at the pool bar with the other men who were quite clearly not with a wife/girlfriend/family. Checking out the embarkation photos is a great way to get a feel for who may be family on board. That said, I have also met many wonderful and interesting straight people on cruises, and it was not my sole focus to meet "family".

If you have traditional dining and your table companions are not to your liking, go to the maitre d' and ask to be moved. People do this all the time. Why should you be stuck at an uncomfortable table for a week? And be clear you are looking to sit with other gays or lesbians - it will not be the first time he has had such a request by any means.

Princess does seem to do the best job at organizing FOD parties, although I also had a successful experience on NCL. RCI now requires all groups to make use of a "community bulletin board" in the library to set meeting times. Perhaps once it is more well known, this will work, but it did not seem to work on my cruise this past weekend.

If you can afford it, cruising on QM2 or Crystal, or even Regent and Seabourn, will almost assuredly be a great experience... there is just an air of collegiality - people want to meet others and there is always a good number of family on board (perhaps less so on Regent or Seabourn since there are a limited number of guests).

As for a gay cruise, you have to take advantage of the singles parties, and you have to still be outgoing since there are still plenty of shy people around. OUr experience with RSVP has been that, even though there is open seating, you get seated with groups of people, and so there are even more opportunities to get to know others on board.

Archived