Scuba Lessons

I have not taken the lessons (so why am I answering this???), BUT I did look into it on the Explorer of the Seas about 2 years ago. I believe the ship-based course is affiliated with PADI. If I remember correctly, the course can get you a basic certification, but not a full "open water" certification, which requires more studying and dives than would be practical on a 1 week cruise. With the basic certification, I believe you can participate in "certified diver" excursions, but have to have a professional diver with you on the dive.

The price at the time was around $200-225, which was comparable to prices of shore-based schools.

Jeff

I took a refresher course on my AOS cruise a few years ago. I do not remember the cost, but it was on the afternoon of the first sea day on the way to Aruba. I have had my YMCA diver card since the 70's, but hadn't been under in a few years and the refresher was cheap ($45??). Although this was a group class, I was the only one to show up. The instructor was good, and the equipment and operation are very good. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend

taking the course.. Diving is an awesome experience that you just can't simulate.

I think you get a padi cert when you finish the course, but I'm not sure...???

The diving in St Martin and St Thomas is no where near as good as Aruba and Curacao.

Archived