Explorer 10/26/07 Review

Well, I will give it my best try for a decent review :) This was my 2nd time sailing with RCI - first time was last year on the Empress. From small to BIG!!! Sailed with my friend - girl's cruise! :D Here goes:

We took the RCI bus to Bayonne - easy. Arrived about 1pm and I think we were on the ship by 1:45 maybe? Everything moved rather quickly except for screening of the bags. Our room was ready so we dropped off our bags and went to do what most people do first - EAT! Sail away was a bummer - rain and fog. Oh well - who cares - we were finally on our cruise!

Food

We had late dinner at table #301 on the 3rd deck. We were seated at a table for 4 and tables mates - no one ever arrived. I know I have read before that RCI tried to match people up - maybe we were the only 2 single, thirty something females?? Doesn't matter - we enjoyed ourselves anyway! Our wait team was Dwayne and Morgan. They were good and aimed to please. Bar service in the dining room - first night someone came over and I asked for a sprite - guess that wasn't good enough - never came back with it and no one ever came back to our table again. No biggie as I really didn't drink this cruise and my friend is not a big drinker. We ate at the dining room 7 out of the 9 nights and each night it was very good. I am picky so I did have the grilled chicken a lot. I am not one to really give a good review on food though since I like my food plain and simple but what I ate was good. RCI could have more chocolate desserts in the dining room though :D Love the chocolate chip cookies!!! We had room service every morning for breakfast. On the breakfast card that you fill out, you pick a time frame for ex. 8 - 8:30 and most mornings, they would arrive at 8. They would also call a few minutes before arriving. What a great way to wake up! We had the pastry dish every morning and in the middle of the cruise - started to ask for only cinnamon rolls because they were yummy! Coffee - strong! Request extra cream and sugar! We ate at Johnny Rockets twice and enjoyed it both times. The first time we have the coupon from the C & A book. Ordered room service one night. Wait time was 45 mins - requested a plain burger but it came with all the toppings so called and asked again for a plain and asked if I had to wait another 45 mins for a plain burger only and was told that there were other orders ahead of mine. Oh well. If finally came and was decent - better than the burgers at the buffet. They DO have chocolate milk! While in the windjammer - my friend saw someone with it and we happened to sit where our assistant waiter was working so we asked him and he delivered! I did order the chocolate Bon Voyage cake - it was good! I think that covers food!

Cabin - our steward did a fine job. We were in an inside cabin.

Meet and Mingle - was supposed to be at 1pm on the 2nd day. My invitation was in my room and said 2pm. Met up with other cruise critic friends along the way and some never received invites. Our M & M was great - it was so nice to finally meet everyone! They raffled some prizes - of course I didn't win! Wanted the aqua mouse and I saw it for sale in the store so I bought it. I know that I will never win it! lol!

Captain's Cocktail Party - only drinks offered were champagne, mimosa, and champagne cocktails (these were good)

Past cruiser's Party - never received an invite and came across another CC member who told us that the party was that night! Went to guest services and asked for details. They came around with certain drinks but people were asking for other drinks and they brought them.

C & A gift - a tote bag and postcards

Sea Days - did scrap booking one day which was cool. We also did the Adult crayola workshop which was water color painting. Did the ocean lab tour. Shopped, napped and ate a lot of cookies!

Shows - only saw one show and it was pretty good. Did go to the ice show and that was great. Battle of the sexes was fun too!!! Glad we went to that.

CD - Allan Brooks - really liked him!

Ports - St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan. Enjoyed all - how could you not??!!

Other passengers - for the most part - everyone was pleasant and very friendly!

Elevators - really slow and long wait at times

Noel - made us miss Labadee and Dominican Republic. Also made for some unpleasant weather and some rocking and rolling. Delayed the ship from docking at 7am that morning and arrived at 3pm instead. That was really odd. Kind of cool but just odd having half of sea day and then getting the boot!

Overall - had a great cruise!! Sad that it is over! :( Looking forward to sailing with RCI in the future.

Please - ask away if any questions - I will TRY and answer!! I am sure I forgot some stuff too!

Cruise in review - kind of crappy. The muster drill isn't even our cruise as you can tell the sun is out!!!

Thanks for reading! :D

Oh! I do have pics but having one hell of a time trying to upload them :rolleyes:

Well, I will give it my best try for a decent review :) This was my 2nd time sailing with RCI - first time was last year on the Empress. From small to BIG!!! Sailed with my friend - girl's cruise! :D Here goes:

We took the RCI bus to Bayonne - easy. Arrived about 1pm and I think we were on the ship by 1:45 maybe? Everything moved rather quickly except for screening of the bags. Our room was ready so we dropped off our bags and went to do what most people do first - EAT! Sail away was a bummer - rain and fog. Oh well - who cares - we were finally on our cruise!

Food

We had late dinner at table #301 on the 3rd deck. We were seated at a table for 4 and tables mates - no one ever arrived. I know I have read before that RCI tried to match people up - maybe we were the only 2 single, thirty something females?? Doesn't matter - we enjoyed ourselves anyway! Our wait team was Dwayne and Morgan. They were good and aimed to please. Bar service in the dining room - first night someone came over and I asked for a sprite - guess that wasn't good enough - never came back with it and no one ever came back to our table again. No biggie as I really didn't drink this cruise and my friend is not a big drinker. We ate at the dining room 7 out of the 9 nights and each night it was very good. I am picky so I did have the grilled chicken a lot. I am not one to really give a good review on food though since I like my food plain and simple but what I ate was good. RCI could have more chocolate desserts in the dining room though :D Love the chocolate chip cookies!!! We had room service every morning for breakfast. On the breakfast card that you fill out, you pick a time frame for ex. 8 - 8:30 and most mornings, they would arrive at 8. They would also call a few minutes before arriving. What a great way to wake up! We had the pastry dish every morning and in the middle of the cruise - started to ask for only cinnamon rolls because they were yummy! Coffee - strong! Request extra cream and sugar! We ate at Johnny Rockets twice and enjoyed it both times. The first time we have the coupon from the C & A book. Ordered room service one night. Wait time was 45 mins - requested a plain burger but it came with all the toppings so called and asked again for a plain and asked if I had to wait another 45 mins for a plain burger only and was told that there were other orders ahead of mine. Oh well. If finally came and was decent - better than the burgers at the buffet. They DO have chocolate milk! While in the windjammer - my friend saw someone with it and we happened to sit where our assistant waiter was working so we asked him and he delivered! I did order the chocolate Bon Voyage cake - it was good! I think that covers food!

Cabin - our steward did a fine job. We were in an inside cabin.

Meet and Mingle - was supposed to be at 1pm on the 2nd day. My invitation was in my room and said 2pm. Met up with other cruise critic friends along the way and some never received invites. Our M & M was great - it was so nice to finally meet everyone! They raffled some prizes - of course I didn't win! Wanted the aqua mouse and I saw it for sale in the store so I bought it. I know that I will never win it! lol!

Captain's Cocktail Party - only drinks offered were champagne, mimosa, and champagne cocktails (these were good)

Past cruiser's Party - never received an invite and came across another CC member who told us that the party was that night! Went to guest services and asked for details. They came around with certain drinks but people were asking for other drinks and they brought them.

C & A gift - a tote bag and postcards

Sea Days - did scrap booking one day which was cool. We also did the Adult crayola workshop which was water color painting. Did the ocean lab tour. Shopped, napped and ate a lot of cookies!

Shows - only saw one show and it was pretty good. Did go to the ice show and that was great. Battle of the sexes was fun too!!! Glad we went to that.

CD - Allan Brooks - really liked him!

Ports - St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan. Enjoyed all - how could you not??!!

Other passengers - for the most part - everyone was pleasant and very friendly!

Elevators - really slow and long wait at times

Noel - made us miss Labadee and Dominican Republic. Also made for some unpleasant weather and some rocking and rolling. Delayed the ship from docking at 7am that morning and arrived at 3pm instead. That was really odd. Kind of cool but just odd having half of sea day and then getting the boot!

Overall - had a great cruise!! Sad that it is over! :( Looking forward to sailing with RCI in the future.

Please - ask away if any questions - I will TRY and answer!! I am sure I forgot some stuff too!

Cruise in review - kind of crappy. The muster drill isn't even our cruise as you can tell the sun is out!!!

Thanks for reading! :D

Oh! I do have pics but having one hell of a time trying to upload them :rolleyes:

Terri

Thank you for a great review. I am glad you enjoyed the explorer. We sure do.

Hi - thanks for a great review. I have a dumb question for you. I have my first cruise with Royal coming up in May. Can you tell me how they handle the muster drill? On Princess, you just muster to your muster station where you listen to instructions and learn how to put on your life jacket, etc. You don't actually line up on deck. How does Royal do theirs? Thanks!!

Hi - thanks for a great review. I have a dumb question for you. I have my first cruise with Royal coming up in May. Can you tell me how they handle the muster drill? On Princess, you just muster to your muster station where you listen to instructions and learn how to put on your life jacket, etc. You don't actually line up on deck. How does Royal do theirs? Thanks!!

Not a dumb question at all! :) Princess was the only cruise that I was on (only once) and our station was in a lounge. Both RCI and Carnival - you do line up on deck. It was quick - the long part was if you were there early and waiting for everyone else to get there!

Not a dumb question at all! :) Princess was the only cruise that I was on (only once) and our station was in a lounge. Both RCI and Carnival - you do line up on deck. It was quick - the long part was if you were there early and waiting for everyone else to get there!

Thanks, Terri! Our station was in a lounge on the Princess as well. I'm sure the muster will go quickly on RCI. I'm really excited about this cruise and hoping to enjoy it as much as I did Princess which I think we will. :)

Great Review Terri, you are much more positive than I would have been.

I feel RCL as well as all cruise lines have changed alot over the last 3 years and now just provide an average cruise with mediocre food and boring entertainment. The pool side games, Quest and other entertainment venues are just repeats. I went to name that tune twice on our cruise and they played the same 20 songs both times.

In my opinion the CD and staff have to start thinking out of the box to make each cruise season/year unique. I love being on the ocean and visiting different ports but outside of that everything is just a repeat, right down to the CD jokes and the music that the cruise lines force the bands to play.

Regarding the muster drill, my station was out on deck 4 while a couple that we were travelling with were sent to the Schooner Bar.

Just wondering where you boarded the RCI bus, and what time you needed to be at the bus station. Does the bus drop you at the ship, or do you still have to take the shuttle to the ship? How long was the ride to Bayonne?

Don't know anyone else who has taken the bus, but we (4) of us are taking the bus from Providence on January 13th for a twelve night cruise. Tell me all....

Our muster station onboard Explorer was the Maharajah Lounge. At least we could sit down. :)

Thanks for posting the review...It was very good.

We had the dining room last Oct. which was perfect as it was freezing out that day! It just depends on your cabin section. In June and this Oct we were on deck but hoping my cabin in Dec. lands us back in the dining room:D

Great review Terri! Still working on mine:)

Great Review Terri, you are much more positive than I would have been.

I feel RCL as well as all cruise lines have changed alot over the last 3 years and now just provide an average cruise with mediocre food and boring entertainment. The pool side games, Quest and other entertainment venues are just repeats. I went to name that tune twice on our cruise and they played the same 20 songs both times.

In my opinion the CD and staff have to start thinking out of the box to make each cruise season/year unique. I love being on the ocean and visiting different ports but outside of that everything is just a repeat, right down to the CD jokes and the music that the cruise lines force the bands to play.

Maybe the piano player only knew 20 songs?? :eek: We never did make it to Name that Tune or much of the other games/shows - maybe because I knew they would be things that we saw before??? For me - I just figure that it is the norm for cruising but I DO understand what you are saying!!! I just think - I could be home at work - and believe me - when I think that - I am sooo happy on the ship and it doesn't matter what I am doing! lol!!!

Just wondering where you boarded the RCI bus, and what time you needed to be at the bus station. Does the bus drop you at the ship, or do you still have to take the shuttle to the ship? How long was the ride to Bayonne?

Don't know anyone else who has taken the bus, but we (4) of us are taking the bus from Providence on January 13th for a twelve night cruise. Tell me all....

We took the bus from Philly so I can't help you out on how long it will take from Providence to Bayonne. When you receive your docs, there will be a page on the bus service and it will tell you what time and where. There will also be a phone # for the bus service. I called a couple of days before to confirm the pick up time and place and to confirm that our names were on the list. You might want to do the same. The bus will take you the the terminal where you have to check in first so - YES - you will still have to take the shuttle to the ship. The terminal is where you get your setsail card!

Hi Terri-thanks for the wonderful review. The pictures were great. We will be sailing on the explorer for the April 25th cruise. Like you will just be happy to be away from everyday chores and just be relaxing on the ship--of course trying out a few of the cookies also!:) Emily

Hi, Terri!!

Can't believe a week ago we were rockin and rollin, following Noel, and now I am stuck with more snow!:eek: Hmmm, I think I'd rather be following Noel :D

I am so glad Fred and I tried Johnny Rockets cause we loved those burgers and the waiters were great when doing their dance in the aisles... so much fun!

Great to meet you and Liz. Have you guys decided on your next cruise yet?

Shoo

Cruising to Alaska August 30, 2008!!!!

Thanks, everyone!!

Shoo - I can't believe you have snow! :eek: It was great meeting you and Fred! Missing seeing you guys around and chatting! lol! I think we might go on Carnival's Miracle - 8 nights out of NY in Sept! Did look at RCI out of Baltimore but they didn't have any 7 or 8 nights. Don't think Liz can do 9 nights again - her work gave her problems!

Thanks, everyone!!

Shoo - I can't believe you have snow! :eek: It was great meeting you and Fred! Missing seeing you guys around and chatting! lol! I think we might go on Carnival's Miracle - 8 nights out of NY in Sept! Did look at RCI out of Baltimore but they didn't have any 7 or 8 nights. Don't think Liz can do 9 nights again - her work gave her problems!

That's too bad about Baltimore. It is such a great port to leave from and we really enjoyed the Grandeur. But the Miracle out of NY should be fun - just hope you get EXCELLENT weather this time!

I know it's crazy with the snow around here. It has pretty much melted off, but they say tonight we'll get a couple of inches which isn't too bad, I guess. I want to move south!

Keep in touch!

OP...Have fun on your Miracle cruise. I expected lots of glitz and neon, plus bad food aboard that ship, but we all really enjoyed it. The dining room was the only gaudy area that we noticed. That was the only time we ever sailed Carnival, and we were surprised, for it was much better than we expected.

OP...Have fun on your Miracle cruise. I expected lots of glitz and neon, plus bad food aboard that ship, but we all really enjoyed it. The dining room was the only gaudy area that we noticed. That was the only time we ever sailed Carnival, and we were surprised, for it was much better than we expected.

My first cruise was on Carnival's Legend and it is still my fave cruise to date but I think a lot is due to that it was my first cruise. However, it was a great cruise and there were no complaints at all about it! I also did a 2 night CTN on the Legend and it was so great to be back on her! I look forward to sailing on Carnival again :) And RCI in the future!

Archived