Cruise-Critic.CO.UK

Kindlychap

In order to get a correct response to a question, i could see my self or others having to post the question twice.....one on this site and another on the proposed new site..:cool:

I am more than happy with this site....so glad i found it as it has answered loads of questions and very very friendly members ...on both sides of the pond :)

Brian

This has been proposed. There is a questionnaire on it here.

I can't see the need myself.

What do others think?

Matthew

I only found this site last month & love the fact that people from both sides of the pond are on it. I love the banter between 'us ' & 'them' (especially over the $ at the moment:o -sorry) & would hate to see that disappear.I've looked at outer sites & this has by far the best atmosphere, which appealed to me at once.

Don't split us up!

Sharon

Although I'm not a person posting in every day, and can even hardly decide who of you is from the left or the right side of the pond I really like the idea to have all of the interesting stories in one single board.

The simple idea to avoid being seperated is to carry on posting in here at cunards thread and ignore the new one. We'll see if that works.

But wait, I'm confused. I'm not sure why you are all talking about a "new" site. The same site exists. The only difference is on the UK version you'll have UK-specific deals -- which we hear is a quite attractive addition -- and just easier access on the home page to news and UK-oriented ship stuff. The whole site is still...there. Available. The boards -- no change whatsoever.

Don't take my word for it. Check us out when we quietly launch the UK version on December 11. Let me know what you think -- drop me a note at editor@cruisecritic.com.

CSB

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Although I'm not a person posting in every day, and can even hardly decide who of you is from the left or the right side of the pond I really like the idea to have all of the interesting stories in one single board.

The simple idea to avoid being seperated is to carry on posting in here at cunards thread and ignore the new one. We'll see if that works.

But wait, I'm confused. I'm not sure ..................editor@cruisecritic.com.

CSB

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Thank you very much for clearing up the mess Mrs. Spencer Brown. I have to apologize for not reading all the postings above, so the real confusion was on my side. Anyway you are doing an great job, carry on. I really like these boards which have so many interesting information for me as an Austrian with no (more) connection to the beloved 7 seas.

Thank you.

I've been tired as can be for years with things dedicated to me because I'm from the US. I like everyone in general and prefer to get to know as many people as possible from other places.

Is there some reason they are suggesting the members from the UK wish to be as xenophobic as the US? I would like to think that there are people from the UK, and other countries, who don't generalize to such an extent as this suggests they do?

My sentiments per-zactly, Angela.

Our US news (and ads etc) is so US-centric and we are so totally oblivious at times to the fact there is a "rest of the world" out there (other than the ones we label as "enemies" or "allies" for political purposes. Otherwise, our knowledge is limited to earthquakes (which we forget in two days, even though the world did not forget so quickly our Katrina or our 9-11) and the occasional odd soccer riot- to which we shake our heads and wonder about those crazy Europeans, even as we turn our sports into a major industry, instead of fun rivalries and just sports.

Even knowing now, that the intent is only to change the entry level page, does not necessarily give me warm fuzzies. It would be easy enough to add a disclaimer stating prices in USD or BPS. (Is that the right abbreviation- British Pound Sterling? I don't have the sign on my keyboard!) If an ad says 800 # in US, Europeans and British (as well as others) are not going to be able to call it, unless it is advertised as an international toll free number. People have been dealing with this for decades. Unless a line strictly prohibits an agency from selling to across the ponders, why should be have different ads? I think we have ALL learned from the debate about British vs. American pricing and what each side gets for their money. And maybe through that knowledge, people can make better informed decisions. We know that some folks on this board have booked through cross0the0pond agencies. Seems like some of the advertisers are getting more from their money! And I might be in the US or Britain temporarily or have dual citizenship and WANT to look at the adverts from the other side!

Vive la difference!

Now to another (and probably more important) issue.

I do like Toffegirl's idea of canapes in the cleavage.

Can this be adopted as a new comptition sport please? We could have points awarded for size of canape, size of cleavage and distance thrown. In the summer months, it could be a deck game and a system of points adjustment based upon wind direction could be applied.

David

Now. Did anybody notice it took EIGHTEEN POSTS to get us off topic here? What's wrong with us, folks? We're lagging behind! Our standard used to be TEN! What will the UK version be, old steady British upper lip. Don't veer until you see the whites of their eyes? <LOL>

Even I, who took many of you on an adventure recently, and might have cause to wish for separation along the trench in the pond:eek: , would not like this....while I can no longer be your keepers, I'd still like to keep the commeraderie (including the forgiveness for said adventure) going in one spot...:)

Andrew

Oh,. Andrew- Typical for me. I missed the boat. The ship left the port and returned, and I was still sitting here on shore, waving when everyone returned. Well, maybe waving sullenly, but I was still here! After all, someone had to keep the home fires roaring! And the home salvos firing! And keep firing the moderators! No Wait! I didn't mean that! Honest!

Laura and Ms Spencer-Brown. Thank you for your interest and clarification. It's almost like being asked to sit at the Captain's table, when the moderator and editor actively seek our opinions and clarify our misunderstandings!

P.S. I think the cleavage thing should be how we recognize each other in the Commodore Club for the CC get-togethers. British wear asparagus canapes in their cleavage while Americans wear chocolate dipped strawberries. Germans can wear those neat little black forest ham ones.

P.P.S. Ms Spencer-Brown. think you can get your contacts at Cunard to more formally recognize our CC: get-togethers? We're getting further with the likes of Amanda Reid, Anya, David Pepper, Social director Jennie, Ben Lyons and such, but it would be nice to have a shore side liaison we could set things up in advance with, give them expected numbers and get it into the program. It would be a win-win for Cunard and Cruise Critic. Every Captain I have spoken to on Cunard knows well the Cruise Critic forums. I do believe a few of them lurk here. And of course, we all know Ben has been featured on the front page. How about talking to the advertising folks to see if we could be officially sanctioned. We're not even looking for free drinks and snacks (though we wouldn't turn them down!) just recognition!

I think we bring Cunard plenty of business just by our discussions here, They can float trial balloons here, and it just generally enhances our experience and in turn, the line's. I know I have booked additional cruises based on things I have read or learned here. What better testimony to the power of advertising can there be!

Thanks

Karie

Who wants to be a part of a DIFFERENT global warming- The kind where we warm to our new friends and learn new customs, words, and even geography. Heck! I never thought I would be GOING to Merrie Olde England, much less struggling to decide what to do there, where to go, and getting so much advice. And even what services to use once I get there! (You know, services that might advertise only on the .co.uk version of the front page!)

disclaimer stating prices in USD or BPS. (Is that the right abbreviation- British Pound Sterling?

I think its GBP, you would think I would know, but I am having one of those 'is it' moments :D

Now. Did anybody notice it took EIGHTEEN POSTS to get us off topic here? What's wrong with us, folks? We're lagging behind! Our standard used to be TEN! What will the UK version be, old steady British upper lip. Don't veer until you see the whites of their eyes? <LOL>

makes up for the ones we go off before the 2nd post then :D

P.S. I think the cleavage thing should be how we recognize each other in the Commodore Club for the CC get-togethers. British wear asparagus canapes in their cleavage while Americans wear chocolate dipped strawberries. Germans can wear those neat little black forest ham ones.

I think the British get the best deal there - I wouldn't like to get melted chocolate all over my best dress :eek:

& Welcome back Karie, I take it you had a good trip:)

Karen

(7 nights & counting)

Archived