Does anyone know how windy it has to be to miss Grand Cayman?

I know it is early BUT the forecast for 11/22 in Grand Cayman says windy with gusts at 15 mph. To me that doesnt seem too bad?

Anyone with any experience on what MPH winds would keep us from being able to tender onto the island?

We will be on the Conquest.

thanks for any thoughts!

Sea day....usually a dreadfully boring sea day that was poorly planned.

Ah, the not so very good plan "B"... :(

Hey! How about that big old island to the north???

Oh... :eek:

I guess we'll figure out something.

It'll probably involve beverages.

:eek: I just found an article from Last Thanksgiving week when we missed Grand Cayman, the winds were 20-25 MPH that week, so 15 MPH might not be a good sign. Let's hope the forcast changes between now and then!!

The wind speed alone won't make much difference. It's the combination of the wind and the prevailing sea swell that could make tendering unsafe.

Windy but no significant swell might be no problem. very little wind combined with a swell from the wrong direction can cause a big problem.

We missed it on our Conquest cruise in 2005. Hurricane Dennis, y'know.:eek: We ended up arriving in Cozumel early (7 pmThursday), since they had dock space for us. The extra sea day was great - there were lots of planned activities. We're trying for Grand Cayman again next February on Valor!

On our last cruise (I think it was Nov. of 2001) we ended up sailing immediatly on the tail of a hurricane (I can't remember which one -- but it did a lot of damage to Grand Cayman and Jamaica). Anyway..... They just ended up reversing our itinary -- so instead of Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica -- we did --- Jamaica, Grand Cayman and then Cozumel.

This messed up a lot of people who had private tours -- they got their monies back from the tour agencies -- but then the tour agencies weren't able to accomodate them for the day that we actually arrived in some cases. But at least we did get to go.

We missed it on our Conquest cruise in 2005. Hurricane Dennis, y'know.:eek: We ended up arriving in Cozumel early (7 pmThursday), since they had dock space for us. The extra sea day was great - there were lots of planned activities. We're trying for Grand Cayman again next February on Valor!

We were right there next to you in Cozumel - on the Miracle. It was a ROUGH ride back to Tampa, to say the least!!

43476776-M.jpg

43476784-M.jpg

43476816-M.jpg

Interesting question. It would be nice to know what they consider too much wind, waves, and weather.

I've had good luck. Eight for eight since the big hurricane. (Sorry Tom)

That's OK... just like watching someone next to me getting blackjack after blackjack - while I am getting 15's.... :rolleyes: :D

Last week we were unable to anchor off Georgetown due to high winds so we went to anchor at Spots Bay (a very small temporary port with nothing there) - all the island's taxis were there as were Cpt Marvin etc etc. A Royal Caribbean ship and an NCL were there too. We were on a HAL ship. Didn't see a Carnival ship there but could be that one wasn't due to be there.

I know it is early BUT the forecast for 11/22 in Grand Cayman says windy with gusts at 15 mph. To me that doesnt seem too bad?

Anyone with any experience on what MPH winds would keep us from being able to tender onto the island?

We will be on the Conquest.

thanks for any thoughts!

We are about 5 for 10 going there.Its not just the wind and sea when you get there, its also how they are predicted for the whole day as they still need to tender back. 15mph steady is a no go for you.:(

I would TOTALLY ignore any forecast over a few days out (and this qualifies). They have ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of GUESSING what the weather will be then, other than using historical averages and current trends. I have found ISLAND forecasts VERY generic.

You are just as well off (if not better :D ) flipping a coin at this point.

Good luck!

Tom

We were right there next to you in Cozumel - on the Miracle. It was a ROUGH ride back to Tampa, to say the least!!

43476776-M.jpg

43476784-M.jpg

43476816-M.jpg

LOL - I have virtually the same photo of Conquest and Miracle in Cozumel! I remember talking to one of Miracle's passengers in Los Cinco Soles, and she posted on here about your "extended" sail back to Tampa! At least they didn't make us get off the boat in the wee hours of the morning.:eek:

I love your photo of the aft balconies on Conquest - we booked our first aft wrap on Victory for next summer.

Archived