Restaurant reservations

wilson9112

For the first time I decided I would try a surcharge restaurant. I heard there are lines to make reservations. Is there anyway to make reservations on line? I checked NCL site, but I didnt see that option. Yes, I'm trying to make a short cut LOL.......:D

I don't think you can do this before you start your cruise. Onboard, you can make reservations. I don't know about a line - I think you can just pick up the phone in your cabin and call for a reservation.

If you want to eat there the first or second night, you may want to just got to the restaurant as soon as you board and put your name on the list. I am not sure if you can make reservations for more than the next day, unless you are a suite passenger.

I don't think you can do this before you start your cruise. Onboard, you can make reservations. I don't know about a line - I think you can just pick up the phone in your cabin and call for a reservation.

If you want to eat there the first or second night, you may want to just got to the restaurant as soon as you board and put your name on the list. I am not sure if you can make reservations for more than the next day, unless you are a suite passenger.

Im surprized you cannot book online. You can do everything else. No, Im not a suite passenger but I wish I was. Just a balcony for me lol...I guess I will try to book on the phone as you said. Thanks!:D

i would be afraid it would be worse then last year... when people made all the reservations, for the whole week, at one time and others couldn't get in at all. then not show?

many of us can't plan for every night of our cruise, before we get on the ship...even then we take it day by day...this way we get a chance if you decide to eat at a surcharge. as we walked around the ship, when we pass the reservations desk, we check to see if there are any openings..easier then trying to time your call or stand in line.

...I heard there are lines to make reservations. ....

This goes to show how much variation there can be from one cruise to the next. There is no good way to predict what your experience with reservations will be on your cruise.

My one and only cruise occurred last month on NCL's newest ship, and we encountered no problems whatsoever in making reservations. As far as a "line", there were maybe 1 or 2 persons, at most, in front of us. Usually there was nobody in line. There were 2323 passengers on board, so one might have expected long lines, but....:confused: "Your mileage may vary"

We tend to be late diners, (at or after 8:30 pm) and did very well without any reservations. But we did make some reservations for the main dining room when we saw a menu we liked. Other times we just walked right in or waited 5 minutes for a table. In one main dining room, one night, we were told there would be a one hour wait, so we were flexible and went to another "free" restaurant and had no wait at all. We could have chosen to go to Le Bistro or Cagney's as last-minute options almost every night of the 11-day cruise.

So, after our one cruise, it would not occur to us to try to make reservations prior to boarding. To us, that would run contrary to our idea of "freestyle". My opinion may change after future cruises.

• Administrators
i would be afraid it would be worse then last year... when people made all the reservations, for the whole week, at one time and others couldn't get in at all. then not show?

many of us can't plan for every night of our cruise, before we get on the ship...even then we take it day by day...this way we get a chance if you decide to eat at a surcharge. as we walked around the ship, when we pass the reservations desk, we check to see if there are any openings..easier then trying to time your call or stand in line.

I think that's why you can't do it in advance online -- and probably why they cut the time frame from being able to book a whole week at a time to only that night and the next (other than suite pax). If a restaurant has a bunch of tables "booked" -- some of which could have been booked months ago if online booking were permitted -- they'll be holding tables for people who might have long ago forgotten what they wanted to do. THAT could explain some of the reports you read in reviews for a while of "half the tables were empty but they wouldn't seat us when we walked up." I think that's where the 24 hour cancellation policy came from, as well (if you don't cancel a surcharge specialty restaurant 24 hours ahead, the policy states you'll be charged two of the surcharges).

Hey Everyone,

I've read on some of the reviews of NCL ships that reservations for restaurants open at at 7:00am for bookings for the following day and you can call to make tham at that time. Is this true for all NCL ships & non-suite passengers?

Thanks in advance

• Administrators
Hey Everyone,

I've read on some of the reviews of NCL ships that reservations for restaurants open at at 7:00am for bookings for the following day and you can call to make tham at that time. Is this true for all NCL ships & non-suite passengers?

Thanks in advance

In general yes, though the time may vary a bit depending on your ship. It may also take a bit to get through on the phone, as others will also be trying and there will also be fellow passengers in line at the reservations desk that early.

In general yes, though the time may vary a bit depending on your ship. It may also take a bit to get through on the phone, as others will also be trying and there will also be fellow passengers in line at the reservations desk that early.

Thanks MichellP,

That is exactly what I wanted to know. :)

I thought it was possible to make dinner reservation for the whole cruise just after embarkation. That's actually what NCL 800 told me. I've learned not to believe everything someone there tells me though.

So can you make reservations for the whole cruise after embarking or is it just about a day in advance?

Well, we're in a AF "mini-suite" on deck 11 but we don't have butler or concierge or anything. I wonder if that means I'm just a glorified balcony cabin they charge more for or if I am classified as suite for the dinner reservations.

I would call NCL but I wouldn't belive what they tell me. ha ha

Just back from Star. Never had a line when I went up to reservations desk, and could call anytime for res. Did have a little trouble getting same day res. Could usually get next day if I didn't car which time. This included both cover charge and other rest. such as Endless Summer.

Res. desk had told me that I didn't need res. for Endless Summer, but when I got there, I was told there was nothing for the night, and would have to make res., unless someone cancelled. The man ahead of me was upset since he also was told he could walk up, and the lady told him that they only take a limited amount of people, and the rest. was never filled. (There was only about 4 of the 80 or so tables filled at the time):confused:

mini-suites never had a butler.....they did have use of a concierge until the new, bigger ship came out with too many minis for the 1 concierge to handle. no, minis are not "suites" for the sake of dining reservations. personally, i would love to have the bathtub and larger room, this cruise the ship doesn't have minis (i was ready to book one)

between checking the reservations desk as we walk around the ship or using the phone to call down...nothing we can't do ourselves.

Archived