Captain your own river boat?

SDMT

We just got back from the Glory and spent last Tuesday in Belize. We were the only ones that booked Captain Your Own Boat. It was WONDERFUL. We only passed about 3 boats the whole time we were out. It was so beautiful and reminded me of Survivor. We had James and Tony and they were great. We saw iguanas, lots of crocs, monkeys, squash (look like ant eaters), saw paw prints of a jaguar and on the way back saw 2 dolphins. Can't say enough about this wonderful day that we will never forget. We were out about 5 hours and had enough time to eat at the Wet Lizard and shop a bit before we went back to the boat. James took us out side the gate to a man that made me a necklace. I wanted to have one made by a local. It is beautiful. James had to leave us out there and told the vendor to RESPECT us. As soon as my necklace was done it didn't take us long to get back in the gate!!!

Anyone not sure about this please do it. It is breath taking!!!

Debby

My son and I did this last summer--we couldn't find anyone else on board to go with us so we paid extra and it was just us and the two guides. Hands down one of the best excursions ever. My son still talks about it--it got adventurous at times when we got a little too much water in the boat and had to bail. And the rain pouring down on us soaked us. But the wildlife and the personal stories from the guides made it all worthwhile. Tip these guys well--they deserve it.

muggo11

I agree, this is a fantastic tour and the guides are great. I don't know why more people don't do this instead of cave tubing. This was so much fun. We were in the boats almost 5 hours and saw lots of widlife.

I just booked this tour for our family of 5 for Oct 15 while crusing on the Valor. Everyone is all very excited except for my 13 year old daughter who is sure a croc is going to snatch her out of the boat as we go up the river. I wonder if I can get 1/2 fare for her if that happens?:rolleyes:

This is taken from my IOS trip report from our 3/15-21/09 cruise:

Once ashore, we walked about a block to sign in for our tour with coralbreeze tours – “Captain your own riverboat.” It turns out we were the only group scheduled that day so it was to be only the eight of us. We waited about 20 minutes for the fellows to arrive to take us to our boats. Captain Tony and Guide James were great. On the short boat ride to our starting point, they pointed out sites of interest in the city and gave us some historical background on the country. The boat ride took about 15 minutes. We arrived at our boats shortly and were told that we would be on the river for about 4 hours so we went to a nearby Shell station to get some drinks and use the restroom. We were also told that RCCL has an excursion that takes people to a restaurant and gift shops up the river so that location would be open for us as well. (The site might not be open on days when RCCL ships are not at Belize.)

The trip of the river was a lot of fun. The boats were small rigid/inflatable craft that were fast, relatively quiet and easy to handle. Four of us – two adults and to children - were in each boat. The trip through the mangroves was a little exciting as we moved fast through the relatively narrow spaces between the trees while (mostly) avoiding partially submerged branches and who knows what else! When we reached the open river again, we followed the lead boat in single file and would stop whenever the lead boat signaled us to do so. James was adept at spotting large Iguanas, exotic birds and Monkeys. We were able to see 4 or 5 crocodiles (Jumping in the river for a swim is definitely NOT recommended!) and were able to maneuver the boats to within about 20 feet of a couple of them before they would either dart into the water from the riverbank or simply submerge below the surface.

When we reached the restaurant, we enjoyed a local type meal of chicken, rice and beans. Six of these with 8 sodas cost about $36 US. We browsed the shop stands near the restaurant and James took us across the street to a home where a local woman rescues injured monkeys and nurses them back to health before releasing them back to the wild. We visited with the monkeys and took pictures, never meeting anyone at the house. We then returned back to the boats for the return trip down the river. In all the excursion was very comfortable as the boats move fast enough to keep you cool. James spotted a couple of kids with an Iguana on the riverbank and we pulled up and the kids let us take pictures with it. James said they were planning on eating it for dinner! We dropped off the boats and re-entered the guide boat for the trip back to the pier. We were back on IOS by about 3PM.

We were thrilled with this excursion. My daughter named this her favorite port experience. It was very unique and felt like a real adventure, yet we always felt completely safe. The guides were very friendly, knowledgeable and patient.

Tom

Hello.......I was looking at this excursion for our cruise in February 2010. I had originally thought of the snorkeling and Bannister Island tour, but since the murder there I've been looking for something else. It would be my husband and I, our kids who are 9,11,and 14, and possibly my father. I had a couple of questions for you if you didn't mind:D

It seems like you are in the boat a long time........your children didn't tire of it at all? Did you see much wildlife on your own or just what they pointed out to you?

Did you have to make the restaurant stop? My kids are so picky......did they have any snack stuff there instead of the chicken, rice and beans?

How difficult was it to drive the boat. Even if my father doesn't come we will still have to take two boats. If he comes he would probably drive, if not then I'll have to (I really don't want to go in the lead boat) Having never driven a boat before I'm a little worried if I'd get the hang of it quickly:D

Were you ever worried about your kids ending up in the water? Did they sit in seats the whole time?

I'm glad you had a great time.........I just can't seem to make a decision, but it would be nice to do something different than a beach for the day.

Thanks

Karen

Karen,

THere were 8 of us total. myself, father-in law, 13 YO son and 5 YO nephew in one boat and Brother in law, his wife, his 7 YO daughter and my 10 YO daughter in the other boat.

We were i the boat a long time, but it seemed to pass rather quickly. THe boats are small and fast enough that just being in the boats was fun, itself. You are moving fast enough that it is hard to spot the wildlife (other than birds) without the help of guides. THat did not seem to deter all of us from trying anyway and that kep all occupied. My son was also content to videotape and my daughter had a digital camera that she went crazy with. THat gave both of them something to do. The 5 YO really seemed to enjoy himself. Eventhough two of them have ADHD, we never had any concern with the kids going overboard - you either sit on two (very small) bench seats or on the ledge/floor at the bow of the boat. There really isn't anyroom to move about so unless peope are switching seats, there is no reason to get up unless you slow down and people are trying to take pictures of something. (When you are approaching a crocodile, everyone WILL be more careful about not falling into the water!!!)

You are in the boat a while and the main problem with that would be needing to use the bathroom. There is NO PLACE to use a restroom unless the restaurant is open. Use the rest room before you get in the boots at the start of the excusrsion. IF the kids are picky eaters, eiethre bring snacks off the ship or by some at the Shell station before you get on the boats.

The boats are small and light. They will give you a short "course" on how to control them. My brother in law never drove a boat before and he had absolutely no problems. On the open river both my duaghter and son had turns at the wheel.

THe excursion is definately something unusual. You feel like you are out on a river safari. Sometimes you are passing nice (and not so nice) houses and other times you are just surrounded by trees. My advice would be to give the kids some cameras (digital if possible) and let them have fun taking pictures of the scenery, wildlife and each other.

Tom

Thanks for your quick answers! I think we will probably try this. Great idea with the cameras. My kids actually all got new cameras last Christmas and went wild with them on the cruise we went on last month, so that would keep them busy too! I have tried to find something to do in Belize to include my mom in but I haven't found much. She can walk short distances, but on cruises spends much time in the wheelchair, it's just too much. She probably will stay on the ship, I'm hoping my dad (extremely active) will come, but he'll probably say no.........hates to leave her on the ship alone.

Also read your review on Costa Maya........thanks for the heads up on the jet skis. I know my 14yo will ask, but you helped me make up my mind!

Was there anything to see snorkeling from the shore there? My kids like to do that but are a little more hesitant when we snorkel off a boat.

Thanks again for your help:)

Karen

Tom..............I wanted to ask you if you paid the price on their website and got 10% off or did you get a better discount? I only wish my 14yo could pay the kids price instead of the adult price........$30 difference:)

Thanks again

Karen

We never did any snorkeling off the shore at any of the stops so I can't speak to that. WE did pay for the belize excursion and got the 10% discount. When I was enquiring about the excusion, I called their US phone number and explained our group makeup, including ages, to the gentleman with coralbreeze tours and asked if we could fit two adults, the 5 year old and a 1 small framed 13 year old on one boat. The site recommends either three adults or two adults and two children max per boat and according to their price structure my son would be considered an adult but he replied that the four of us would do fine and that I should enter my son as a child on the reservation and that he did not think should have to pay an adult price for him! You should ask. My son is small for his age and no one ever tried to verify anyones age once we were there.

For anyone looking for something differnt to do in Belize, this is the tour to take. It made you feel like an explorer. Crocs near your boat, Howler Monkeys making noise. DH and I had a wonderful time, Our guides James and Tony were lots of fun.

My husband and I would love to do this tour, but like others who have posted - we are a party of two and no one else has signed up. I posted on the Roll Call but no response. If anyone from another ship that will be in port that day is interested, please let me know. Don't have a clue what we will do if we can't make this tour. Neither of us interested in cave tubing, have been to the ruins and I'm too chicken to zipline :)

Go to cruisett.com or cruisereport.com and see what ships our in port the day you are. Then go to there roll calls and post there. We had the same problem, I decided if I could not find anyone ahead of our cruise I was going to book for 4 and try to find someone on the ship. We lucked out and someone from our roll call went with us. It is a fun tour. One of the best we have ever taken.

One thing you might try is to e-mail Coral Breeze and tell them you want to do this tour. Then if someone else gets in contact with them they will book you with them. Also you might contact the Wet Lizard bar (google them) they know the people from Hammerhead water sports that does this tour (its listed on there website). They may be able to help you.

Welldone

Thanks for sharing the great photos.........We're planning on doing this in February.........just too soon to book now...it seems like everyone is happy with this excursion........I thought my kids might enjoy it.

Karen

Welldone,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. James and Tony were with us in March. They were great. Looks like your trip through the Mangroves was a little trickier than ours. We only had to slow down once for an oncoming boat. Brings back memories...

GSRDPM

I think it's the water leval. James said that the water was low for that time of year (Feb 24 09). We really had a good time. We went through the Mangroves going and coming back. I think sometimes they go out to the bay on the return trip.

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I will be on the Valor 5/17 and are interested in doing this in Belize but we are only 2. Anyone else in?

Check with Coral Breeze on their website - there might be someone else already signed up for your day.

We went earlier in April and it was just DH and I. There was a family of 3 from an NCL ship that join our little group. It was a fun time. Don't be afraid to bring a good camera! We saw crocs, iquanas and monkeys but I wish I would have brought my good DSLR with zoom lense rather than the little digital camera.

We also went through the mangroves which was cool. I highly suggest bringing some drinks and a snack for this trip. We packed a collapseable ice chest in our luggage and filled with waters and sandwiches for the day and I'm really glad we did! It was hot out there even though you go pretty fast in the boat.

James and Capt Tony were great guides and really know a lot about Belize and are happy to share their knowledge with you. Enjoy your trip!

Archived