Scuba Diving

07rubicon

I was reading on the Carribean Princess website that they offer a program to be certified. My DH really wants to go Scuba but I am afraid I won't be able to handle it because I would really freak out if I saw a shark. Anyone do this program? Any input on the dive would be appreciated

we will be leaving soon for our cruise. My DH & I are both certified. We have about 40 dives each. I've probably seen 3 or 4 sharks total. You should go for it. We just got the 3 kids certified last year. We saw 1 shark in the Grand Caymans last year & we made 12 dives. They usually are pretty far away & most are nurse sharks which are not aggressive. I've also heard they don't like the smell of wetsuits.

I did the program. Its a lot of work. For me the choice was easy because my alternative was doing the PADI cert in British Columbia over a six week time frame in waters that for optimum comfort a dry suit would be stellar.

Instead I got to do my certification dives in Cozumel...hmmmmm:)

I don't regret it but you should know on a seven day cruise it takes up a bit of time. There is an alternative you can do the classroom bookwork etc. with your local dive store and do your cert dives via Princess. I didn't have time to do that (timing didn't work out with local dive shop) but you might be able to swing it.

One of the upsides is that they provide your gear. There were only three of us in the class on the grand feb 2006. They can have up to eight in a class.

Joanne

I was reading on the Carribean Princess website that they offer a program to be certified. My DH really wants to go Scuba but I am afraid I won't be able to handle it because I would really freak out if I saw a shark. Anyone do this program? Any input on the dive would be appreciated

Here's the website if you haven't seen it yet. It has some very helpful information....courses, prices etc.

www.newwaves.com

I would see if a local dive shop has a "discover scuba" program where you can try things out. See if you actually *like* diving first! If you do, as someone else suggested, see if you can do your classroom and pool work at home and do your 4 cert dives on the cruise.

As for seeing a shark... honestly, it's the last thing you should worry about as a new diver. :) I admit it can be a bit unnerving, but you'll be with a group and/or instructor, and if you learn proper technique (e.g. not waving your hands about) they aren't going to bother you. Most sharks are not Jaws, they are small reef or nurse sharks. Divers are rarely attacked by sharks anyway... swimmers and surfers are much more likely to be attacked because they're mistaken for seals. Odd-looking, bubble blowing, neoprene-wearing creatures in dive gear are not in sharks' food chain. :)

Diving -- especially in clear, warm water -- is really an awesome experience. Don't let fear dissuade you from giving it a try.

Trust me, as a diving instructor I have had several hundred students with me that has seen sharks on their first dive, and not a single one of them has freaked out. Swimming with a shark would be an amazing experience if you were lucky enough to encounter one.

yes. PADI open water certification.

my husband is a dive master, so i've had the pleasure of seeing him head out and come home after helping with the dive classes here (surrey, bc) in inclement weather (the classes run all year) Whitecliff is one of the places they do the certification dives....brrrrrr..and lots of gear carrying .... that sealed the deal for me on where i'd want to learn.

the only downside is that when i choose to dive our local waters i'll have to probably do a couple of dives in refresher mode (which i'd have to do anyway as i've exceeded the time between diving) as appparently diving in a 3/4 wet suit, no gloves, no head covering in 30C water is VERY different than diving in 5C to 15C water, full wet suit, gloves, headgear, extra weights because of the extra gear.

Joanne

For the OP I think the idea someone had a few posts back about doing a discover scuba to see if you like it first might be an idea.

As for seeing a shark... honestly, it's the last thing you should worry about as a new diver.

I've logged over 300 dives in Mexico, the eastern Carribean and the Pacific. About 99% of the sharks that I've seen are Nurse Sharks, some of which I have petted. Honestly, you have a greater chance of getting bitten by a Golden Retriever than by a Nurse Shark.

In fact, there are only three types of sharks about which you need to be concerned: Great White sharks, Bull sharks and Tiger sharks. The rest are quite benign. Even the three listed sharks rarely attack humans. NOTE: I've never seen a Great White, Bull or Tiger and have never met another diver who has -- case in point: they're very rare.

To anyone who is considering scuba diving: Don't pass up the thrill of a lifetime for an unwarranted fear of sea creatures -- go for it!!

REgards,

MJ

I was certified on the Dawn Princess some 4 years ago. I have now completed some 78 dives. Lots of sharks in the water in the French Polynesian isles. Most of us ignore them as there are plenty of more interesting animals and corals to observe. The sharks are curious and circle around us looking for the occasional free hand out of food from one of the dive leaders. Most are harmless reef sharks.

Dive and enjoy the natural world underwater. Then, in the evening, sit out under the stars, or try a night dive.

I was certified on the Dawn Princess some 4 years ago. I have now completed some 78 dives. Lots of sharks in the water in the French Polynesian isles. Most of us ignore them as there are plenty of more interesting animals and corals to observe. The sharks are curious and circle around us looking for the occasional free hand out of food from one of the dive leaders. Most are harmless reef sharks.

Dive and enjoy the natural world underwater. Then, in the evening, sit out under the stars, or try a night dive.

I will be on the CB in April going to Eastern Carribean. We have only 3 ports so will the program still offer 4 dives. If so do you have much time to go sightseeing? I have been to St Marteen and Thomas but would love some beach time so I can worship the sun:)

I'm not a diver (I am, however, a snorkel nut) but someone suggested a "Discover Scuba", also called a "Resort Dive", as a trial run. That seems the smart thing to do.

You can get certified thru Prnicess New Waves program, but you will spend a lot of your cruise time for the prep work. If you discover you want to learn, consider getting at least the classroom part done at home instead of wasting cruise time.

Scuba training involves both study and practice. Don't just "dive" into a cruise ship program without first doing your research.:p

I'd suggest two things:

1) visit a local dive shop and ask about their program. They'l be delighted to advise you and they'll probably have a printout of what is involved in the scuba course.

2) Visit the Scuba and Snorkel board. There are many experienced divers there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Grand Princess where my husband and I just got certified. I would highly recommend the program :D with one caveat ... if you really want to do something else in each port, then don't do whole certification on the ship. The schedule is time consuming and pretty much non-negotible.

Our schedule was essentially the following:

Day 1 (At Sea): Classroom academic work from 9:00AM-12:00 noon.

Day 2 (Ochos Rios): Pool dives from 7:00AM - 11:30AM

Day 3 (Grand Cayman): Dive 1 & 2 from 8:30AM - 12:30 PM

Day 4 (Cozumel): Dive 3 & 4 from 8:30AM -12:30PM

Day 5 (At Sea): Final exam and documentation from 9:30AM - 11:30AM

We had a bit of time in each port to do some shopping, but didn't have a chance to take any of the other excursions due to the time limits.

Archived