Will 60'ish days for a Passport be ok?

pam29922

For a suprise Christmas gift, I have booked my family for the Valor March 2-9. There will be 4 of us (DH, DS (9), DM, Me) and the only one who has a passport at the moment is DH. If we go for passports the day after Christmas, will it be cutting it too close? Otherwise, I don't know I get us all to get passports without telling them why...or raising serious suspicions! Thoughts???

That's a sticky one. I wouldn't chance it unless you wanted to pay extra for express passport services. Depends on what the surprise is worth to you. With the new passport restrictions in place, it might be tricky to get them in 60 days, as there is increased business as a result of this.

For a suprise Christmas gift, I have booked my family for the Valor March 2-9. There will be 4 of us (DH, DS (9), DM, Me) and the only one who has a passport at the moment is DH. If we go for passports the day after Christmas, will it be cutting it too close? Otherwise, I don't know I get us all to get passports without telling them why...or raising serious suspicions! Thoughts???
We got our son's passport in 13 days regular delivery. It came out of Charleston Good luck;) (this was in october)

I booked a cruise to surprise my dh for a xmas present. we are cruising 1/5/08. 2 weeks ago I told him he should get his passport since the laws have gotton sooo strick and everyone needs their passport and if we ever want to travel we will have them without any stresses on getting them the last minute. He said ok and went to apply at the local post office. I have my passport but it is in my maiden name so I mailed my old one in to change my name on the passport the day after he went to the post office (on a sat.) and I received my passport back in the mail in 12 days!!!:eek: My dh still havent received his yet but My sil and bil applyed for theirs I believe either 2 weeks or 1 week before my dh and got theirs the day before me so that was either 18 days or 25 days. good luck!!

I am still so confused as to whether or not you actually NEED a passport until the time it says on Carnival's website -- summer '08. I understand that there are other circumstances that you might need it but I'm cruising in January and I was under the impression that I wouldn't need mine yet. If this isn't the case then I better get crackin'.

State Dept is urging people to get their passports now. We got our kids' in about 2 weeks last month. There is a lull in applications now and they are pushing them out. They expect a rush to happen again after the first of the year.

Perhaps a small bending of the truth... everyone will at some point need a passport and the timeframe right now is so small to get one let's beat the rush and get ours now ..

I think you will have no problems applying in late December for a March cruise. The next big change in rules doesn't even have an implementation date yet, though it is due to take effect sometime next summer. I would not expect the next round of big delays to begin before the spring.

I am still so confused as to whether or not you actually NEED a passport until the time it says on Carnival's website -- summer '08. I understand that there are other circumstances that you might need it but I'm cruising in January and I was under the impression that I wouldn't need mine yet. If this isn't the case then I better get crackin'.

not unless you are flying into or out of another country. but it wont hurt to get it as soon as you can you will need it sooner or later...

You don't NEED one for your January cruise. It would be good to have but you will be fine with your birth certificate and photo ID. Just don't get stuck on one of the islands.

Archived