New Snorkeler

Newbcruiser1

Hi everyone!

I'll be going on my first cruise next month on RCI's Radiance of the Seas. My friend and I are not good swimmers, but we'd really like to try snorkeling since neither of us have done it before. We are debating between the Catamaran sail and snorkel in Key West on the Fury, or some of the Grand Cayman snorkeling excursions, particularly the "Grand Cayman Snorkeling" or the "Reef and Wreck Snorkel" (not Stingray City). We'd like a boat with washrooms, stairs or a ramp into the water for easy access, instructions, and life jackets! :)

Has anyone done these excursions through RCI or any other cruise lines?

What would you recommend for us first-time snorkelers who can't swim?

Thanks in advance!

I went through Captain Marvins because they're a little cheaper, have only 20-30 people per boat for a better personal experience, and the guides are more knowledgable and can help if you need it. If you're a new snorkeler I would recommend using them because with only a few other people they can focus on helping you learn the best techniques.

I am doing their half day excursion and I think I remember it being $40. Oh, and they dont charge your card they just hold the reservation. If for whatever reason the ship does not make it in port they wont charge you.

$40 includes Stingray City and 2 different snorkel spots. I think RCCL's only has one snorkel spot, but you are right. It is a little more, but I think it's worth it. You will get a personal experience and somebody that will help you feel comfortable on your first snorkel.

We did the key west snorkel on the Fury but it was 10 years ago. The boat did have nice stairs to get in and out of the water and a bathroom. We had a 13 year old girl with us that was afraid to try to snorkel. One of the crew got in the water with her and stayed with her until she was comfortable and she had a life jacket and a noodle. She had a great time! In the Cayman's we have always done stingray city so I can't help you with the other trips there.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the information! :)

We really do not want to do Stingray City, so I'm still curious to see if anyone has done any of the Royal Caribbean snorkeling trips in Grand Cayman which don't go there? We would prefer something with a washroom on the boat as well.

While the Fury in Key West sounds great (thanks jean-lynd for the info), it's the first day of our trip, and we'd rather snorkel closer to the middle of the cruise, and somewhere which will likely be warmer (like GCM), provided there's a good trip for beginners on a boat with washrooms, easy access in and out of the water, etc.

Rather than a life vest, I think what you want is a snorkel vest - they are inflatable, and most people press all the air out of them but you could put a little air in yours. Most tour companies require everyone to wear one, thus the reason so many people press the air out. You don't want too much buoyancy on the top half of your body or you will not be able to float flat on the water and see the fish and coral and other cool things under the sea. You don't really have to swim, just float along and watch the undersea life. I am not a strong swimmer, but I go on snorkel excursions without a worry. The crew on the snorkel boat will tell you to wave your hands above your head if you are in trouble, and will be in to rescue you if you are. No matter which excursion you decide on, you will get some instruction and guidance, I'm sure.

I think I would choose Grand Cayman over Key West if you only plan to snorkel once for better and more views of fish, etc.

On our last cruise 7mo ago My 10 y/o went snorkling for the 1st time. First I would recomend a walk in, if possible its the easist. But if thats not available a good set of stairs on the boat helps. It is hard to just jump or fall in, off a boat, the 1st time. We had a good time and she liked it until we saw a barracuda! It is not dangerous but it is the ulgyest fish I've ever seen:eek: It is about the size of a lg bass and it has teeth! So this time in Jan we are going to try a tour called the sea spi. Its a self operated motorized watercraft with a window you look through while on your laying on it on your stomach. It looks like fun and I think she will feel safer and we will be able to cover more area - thus seeing more. Have a great time:)

Jen

For novice snorklers I would recommend a shore snorkle spot such as Chankanaab in Cozumel (and always use a vest) because the boat snorkle trips you immediatly jump overboard into water that is over your head which can be very unnerving for a non swimmer, whereas at Chankanaab there are steps down into the water so you can get used to the idea gradually and stay close to shore till you get more comfortable.

My family has done both boat trips as well as shore snorkling and we are exerienced snorklers. We are once again going to Chankanaab on or trip in December, partly because we fell in love with the park and also my daughter is taking a friend that is not a good swimmer and has never snorkled but wants to try.

Thanks Mark!

My reasoning for originally wanting to do a boat-snorkel rather than off shore was because we would have a guide and instructions that way... The Sea Spi idea is actually growing on me now, so I'm thinking we might go for that instead for starters, and maybe try snorkeling on our next trip. I'll have to discuss it with my friend! :)

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are sailing on the Radiance of the Seas in December and are actually looking at doing one of these two shore excursions that the OP mentioned - one called Reef and Wreck Snorkel and the other Grand Cayman Snorkeling. The explanations make them sound nearly identical but there is a fair percentage price difference.

This would be my first time snorkeling and my husband's second (he previously went in the Bahamas off a previous cruise). I am not a very good swimmer whereas he was a lifeguard so I always feel safe in the water with him.

Would just like to know if anyone has experience with either of these two excursions. Thanks!

-Laura.

Laura, I wonder if we're on the same cruise? December 16th? My friend and I are from Toronto too! :)

We actually booked the Sea Spi - more expensive at $79 but we figure we might enjoy it more not having to try to swim and breathe through a mouthpiece, etc.

Laura, I wonder if we're on the same cruise? December 16th? My friend and I are from Toronto too! :)

We actually booked the Sea Spi - more expensive at $79 but we figure we might enjoy it more not having to try to swim and breathe through a mouthpiece, etc.

Hey! We are in fact on the December 16th sailing of Radiance as well! The Sea Spi sounded pretty cool, but the price difference is just too much for us at this point and I think the snorkeling could be really fun and I should be comfortable enough with a life vest on and my husband nearby.

I see you have posted in our roll call thread as well and this is your first cruise. This will be my fourth cruise (my husband's third) so if you have any questions, let me know! What day are you flying into/out of Ft. Lauderdale. We actually got a great flight price, but we're leaving from Buffalo and returning to Toronto, hehe.

-Laura.

If you are looking for an economical way to go snorkeling on Grand Cayman, you might consider walking from the ship to Eden Rock. It is not far from where the cruise ships dock, and its free! You can pay for snorkeling (a "tour") if you want, or just rent some gear at Eden Rock. My wife and I have our own equipment, and walked to Eden Rock, and out in to the water. We could see one of the catamarans parked just outside the roped off snorkeling area. You can snorkel in areas that are only four or five feet deep if you so choose, snorkel as long as you desire, and then walk back to the ship to shower, at least we could on the Conquest. Hope this helps!

Laura, if only I had a lifeguard hubby! haha! We're flying in really late the night before, and booked a hotel (although we'll probably only be there for about 6-7 hours). We decided to spend extra on that flight rather than taking the chance of going on the morning of the 16th. Our flight coming back is the night of the 22nd, so we have some time to kill on that last day - we'll probably go shopping with some relatives who will be in Florida at the same time.

What dates are your flights? I'm glad you got such a good deal out of Buffalo! That's great!

The Fury Catamaran sail and snorkel might be a bit difficult if you are not a good swimmer. After you sail out, the area the tour guides inform you to swim to is a good 15 to 20 feet away from the catamaran, in approximately 10 foot deep water with a current.

If the water is a bit more shallow and calm in the Cayman Islands, I'd probably try snorkeling there. Swimming against a current in deep water can be a bit exhausting.

Laura, if only I had a lifeguard hubby! haha! We're flying in really late the night before, and booked a hotel (although we'll probably only be there for about 6-7 hours). We decided to spend extra on that flight rather than taking the chance of going on the morning of the 16th. Our flight coming back is the night of the 22nd, so we have some time to kill on that last day - we'll probably go shopping with some relatives who will be in Florida at the same time.

What dates are your flights? I'm glad you got such a good deal out of Buffalo! That's great!

We are flying in on the 15th as well. We get in at 8:40pm from Buffalo so we got a super cheap hotel Downtown since we'll only be there for a short while as well. I agree, I most definitely did not want to take a chance with flying on the same day as the cruise, particularly from our area in the middle of winter. :)

We fly back into Toronto bright and early on the 23rd (again - got a great deal on Air Canada, which is a shock). We figure we'll spend our time on the 22nd checking out downtown Ft Lauderdale and the beach area.

It is going to be so nice to get out of the cold and into the sun! Not too long now!

-Laura.

Although I'm not familiar with the ship's tours you are asking about, I'd be quite surprised if they provide much actual instruction, unless they are specifically advertised as teaching trips, with personal or at least small group instruction. You will get a few quick pointers, then into the water. Most ship tours have many, many people and not enough guides for personal instruction.

We used Captain Marvin in Grand Cayman and had about 20 people on our boat with at least four guides, maybe more--as well as Capt. Marvin himself who was almost 90 at the time (three years ago) The guides were very helpful (we had four kids ages 3,4,5 & 5 along) as well as several people who had never snorkeled before. However, all the adults are good swimmers. They had snorkel vests for those who wanted them. The kids tried it, but it was a little choppy and cool that day and they didn't stay in long.

I realize you don't want to go to stingray city, but even so I think you would enjoy this tour. We had two snorkel stops with excellent guides, and even the people who didn't get in with the sting rays seemed to enjoy watching the others.

We had done a ship stingray tour a couple of years before, and while the tour was okay, it had many, many more people and was much less organized.

Laura, That's great! We won't be getting in until after midnight, so it'll be a rush to bed and then a somewhat early wake-up! haha! Ah well - better than a flight at 6am where we have to worry about the weather, possible flight delays, etc.

What dinner seating did you book? We have the late one.

Nebr.cruiser, thanks for the info and tips. As I mentioned, we booked the Sea Spi, so we won't have time for other excursions this time around. But maybe next time! :)

Laura, That's great! We won't be getting in until after midnight, so it'll be a rush to bed and then a somewhat early wake-up! haha! Ah well - better than a flight at 6am where we have to worry about the weather, possible flight delays, etc.

What dinner seating did you book? We have the late one.

Nebr.cruiser, thanks for the info and tips. As I mentioned, we booked the Sea Spi, so we won't have time for other excursions this time around. But maybe next time! :)

Midnight isn't too bad - better than worrying the next day! Are you flying from Toronto? If so, what airline?

We have late seating as well! We usually eat dinner at 8pm at home so it will give us a similar dinner time. Plus, I dont want to have to rush back to the ship from a port and lose time there just to get ready for dinner.

Also, you didn't mention your stateroom number in our roll call thread, where are you and your friend staying?

Okay, I think we've essentially hijacked this thread (though you created it...). :)

-Laura.

We're flying on Air Canada both ways, from/to Toronto.

I'm weird like this, but I'd rather not mention our room number online... we do have a balcony room though.

Did you settle on which excursion to do? I was leaning towards the cheaper one when we were debating since it mentioned it had a washroom, etc. I figure it may be a bigger boat, etc.

Archived